Throughout the early part of the twentieth century, African-American activists fought to thwart the systemic scourge of lynching. Faced with a silent and complicit populace, particularly the media and political establishment, African Americans forced the nation to bare witness to the depravity of American racism. Between 1882 and 1968, close to 5,000 lynchings (73% of the victims were black) took place on American soil, and that is of course an estimate that does not account for the countless unknown souls who lost their lives at the hands of White supremacy. According to Richard Perloff, racial lynchings had become commonplace in part of because of the media’s failures to bring the injustice into light. He quotes a white resident of Emelle Alabama, who questioned a reporter’s inquiry into the killing of an African American: “A few White residents who had been on hand when the men were killed refused to talk about the events to reporters from The Tuscaloosa News. “What the hell are you newspaper men doing here?” asked a White man who had been part of the vigilante group. ‘We’re just killing a few negroes that we’ve waited too damn long about leaving for the buzzards. That’s not news'” (Raper, 1933, p. 67). The silence from the mainstream media about blacks victims burned to death, hung, and dismembered, embodied the normalization of white supremacist violence.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Petition: SAY NO TO DISNEYFICATION OF COLONIZATION! Tell Disney Not to Make “Princess of North Sudan”!
- Amtrak Passenger Claims DEA Agent Straight Up Stole $60 From His Wallet
- Mapuche: Gira de Jaime Huenchullan a Europa
- The Face of Litter: DNA taken from trash used to map features of litterbugs in Hong Kong — RT News
- County sheriff has used stingray over 300 times with no warrant | Ars Technica
- dailykos.com: The shocking truth about the two Chicago Police officers posing in this horrendous photo ow.ly/2Z9v98 2 hours ago
- Bob Joseph - Reading for Reconciliation 6 books on Residential Schools ow.ly/2Z9v97 2 hours ago
- "“Mari kita menuntut agar pelakunya ditangkap, dipecat, dan dipenjarakan. Tidak lupa juga, buka..." ow.ly/2Z9kqq 3 hours ago
- "“Mari kita menuntut agar pelakunya ditangkap, dipecat, dan dipenjarakan. Tidak lupa juga, buka rekaman..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1loeBhp 3 hours ago
- "Landrieu also worked to expedite the approval of liquified natural gas export terminals, another..." ow.ly/2Z7I2h 15 hours ago