To reassert its waning influence on the continent in the face of growing Chinese investment, the US established Africom – the “Africa Command” of the US military – in October 2008. Africom co-ordinates all US military activity in Africa and, according to its mission statement, “contributes to increasing security and stability in Africa – allowing African states and regional organizations to promote democracy, to expand development, to provide for their common defense, and to better serve their people”.However, in more unguarded moments, officials have been more straightforward: Vice Admiral Robert Moeller declared in a conference in 2008 that Africom was about preserving “the free flow of natural resources from Africa to the global market”, and two years later, in a piece in Foreign policy magazine, wrote: “Let there be no mistake. Africoms job is to protect American lives and promote American interests.” Through this body, western powers are resorting to the use of military power to win back the leverage once attained through financial monopoly.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- THE GREAT EUROPEAN EXPERIMENT FALLS APART
- NASCAR tells fans not to bring Confederate flags to races
- British artists against TTIP trade deal
- United States arms profits first, Bahraini human rights a poor second
- National/Guerrero: Nine months after the Ayotzinapa atrocity, relatives express that they will not be silenced
- Nazi flags erected near bonfire site in Carrickfergus - BBC News ow.ly/315hn7 36 minutes ago
- "According to documents obtained by the Associated Press and released on Monday, Bill Cosby stated..." ow.ly/315hhZ 36 minutes ago
- "According to documents obtained by the Associated Press and released on Monday, Bill Cosby stated..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1p1AgCH 54 minutes ago
- "At the same time, many of you are scandalized by the ruling (we know because you keep tweeting about..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1p0ymYT 1 hour ago
- "The co-chair of the Marion County GOP, T. Waldmann-Williams, did not object to the flags when she..." ow.ly/314TjR 3 hours ago