To reassert its waning influence on the continent in the face of growing Chinese investment, the US established Africom – the “Africa Command” of the US military – in October 2008. Africom co-ordinates all US military activity in Africa and, according to its mission statement, “contributes to increasing security and stability in Africa – allowing African states and regional organizations to promote democracy, to expand development, to provide for their common defense, and to better serve their people”.However, in more unguarded moments, officials have been more straightforward: Vice Admiral Robert Moeller declared in a conference in 2008 that Africom was about preserving “the free flow of natural resources from Africa to the global market”, and two years later, in a piece in Foreign policy magazine, wrote: “Let there be no mistake. Africoms job is to protect American lives and promote American interests.” Through this body, western powers are resorting to the use of military power to win back the leverage once attained through financial monopoly.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Anti-gay crusader had 250-page FBI file | TheHill
- On the blacklist: how did the UK’s top building firms get secret information on their workers? | UK news | The Guardian
- WordPress Sites Vulnerable to Plugin-Related SQL Attacks | Threatpost | The first stop for security news
- ‘Ex-Israeli agents’ threatened cyber attack on S Africa – Al Jazeera English
- Gemalto Doesn’t Know What It Doesn’t Know – The Intercept
- Monitor: ISIS Released 19 Christians From Captivity - BuzzFeed News ow.ly/2VjNdp 2 hours ago
- Hungry Jack's Customers Rise Up To Kick Out Racist Aussie - Hungry Jack's Customers Rise Up To Kick Out Racist Aus... ow.ly/2VjH28 3 hours ago
- "Humans have a natural tendency to equate hidden - sometimes sinister - meanings to everyday symbols..." ow.ly/2VjFkW 3 hours ago
- "Humans have a natural tendency to equate hidden - sometimes sinister - meanings to everyday symbols..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1ek58Tg 4 hours ago
- "Cleveland officials stated they could not fully respond to most of the counts because of an ongoing..." ow.ly/2Vjz9Y 4 hours ago