To reassert its waning influence on the continent in the face of growing Chinese investment, the US established Africom – the “Africa Command” of the US military – in October 2008. Africom co-ordinates all US military activity in Africa and, according to its mission statement, “contributes to increasing security and stability in Africa – allowing African states and regional organizations to promote democracy, to expand development, to provide for their common defense, and to better serve their people”.However, in more unguarded moments, officials have been more straightforward: Vice Admiral Robert Moeller declared in a conference in 2008 that Africom was about preserving “the free flow of natural resources from Africa to the global market”, and two years later, in a piece in Foreign policy magazine, wrote: “Let there be no mistake. Africoms job is to protect American lives and promote American interests.” Through this body, western powers are resorting to the use of military power to win back the leverage once attained through financial monopoly.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- A weeping sore
- Pueblo indígena desafía jurídicamente a Peña Nieto ante máximo tribunal del país | Centro de Derechos Humanos Zeferino Ladrillero
- PressTV-‘US sends more arms to militants in Syria’
- HuffPo: Basic Gun Violence Research Is Seriously Underfunded
- Texas councilman tasered outside home says he was rehearsing dance routine – video | US news | The Guardian
- UK Muslims ‘most likely’ to be victims of hate crime - UK Muslims ‘most likely’ to be victims of hate crime: [www.... ow.ly/35toN0 2 hours ago
- "The firms included Platte River Networks, a Denver-based firm that hosted her server; SECNAP, which..." ow.ly/35tov1 2 hours ago
- "The officers - including one from an armed unit which guards Parliament and politicians - were fired..." ow.ly/35teUd 3 hours ago
- Indigenous Peoples and nations Consultation on Climate change 2015 - iitc.org ow.ly/TmloG 3 hours ago
- Israelis killed in Jerusalem bus stabbing and car ramming | World news | The Guardian ow.ly/35tdHS 3 hours ago