Tunisias ex-strongman Zine El Abidine Ben Ali has been sentenced in absentia to life in prison for complicity in the murders of 43 protesters in the 2011 revolution. Hedi Ayari, a judge from the Tunis military court, said Ben Ali was judged with around 40 of his former officials. General Ali Seriati, ex-head of presidential security, was given a 20-year prison term, AP reports. Former interior minister Rafik Belhaj Kacem got 15 years. The case against Ahmed Friaa, another former interior minister, was dismissed. Families of the victims said the sentences for Seriati and Kacem were too lenient.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Pope Francis speaks out against ivory poaching in Kenya – Al Jazeera English
- NT Paperless Arrest Laws Part 1: Where They Came From, Who They Target – New Matilda
- Walmart Is Working with the FBI and Lockheed Martin to Spy on Striking Workers
- Port Fail: Vulnerability reveals real IP | Perfect Privacy
- Party like it’s 1998: UK government bans ripping CDs — again / Boing Boing
- dailykos.com: Indian Child Removal: Racism, "Perverse Financial Incentives," and Willful Violation o... ow.ly/38qvPE 8 hours ago
- Three Killed in Colorado Springs Planned Parenthood Shooting Grasswire | Your Newsroom ow.ly/38qrHK 9 hours ago
- F is 4 #Fascism (& The Aryan Abattoir) An #Antifascismus Notebook wp.me/p3exIw-YV / tinyurl.com/qbsjlr5 https://t.co/ltJg235FST 11 hours ago
- 3 confirmed killed, gunman detained in Colorado Springs Planned Parenthood shooting ow.ly/38qhPz 12 hours ago
- Lest You Forget: Lavrov Reminds Turkey of Its Involvement in ISIL Oil Trade ow.ly/38qeNv 13 hours ago