A common misconception is that solitary confinement is a punishment of last resort, reserved for inmates who present a threat of violence or escape. The reality—especially in New York, which has the highest rate of “disciplinary segregation” in the country—is that it’s very much a punishment of first resort, doled out for minor rule violations as well as major offenses. In New York, the most common reason for a stint in solitary is creating a “disturbance” or “demonstration.” This can mean anything from mouthing off to guards to fomenting a riot, and it often involves inmates with psychoses or other psychiatric problems. Second is “dirty urine”—testing positive for drugs of any kind. In a prison system where 85 percent of inmates are in need of substance-abuse treatment, drug use alone can get you up to ninety days in solitary, and a year if it happens multiple times. Other infractions include refusing to obey orders, “interfering with employees,” being “out of place” and possession of contraband—not only a shiv but a joint, a cellphone or too many postage stamps.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Petition: SAY NO TO DISNEYFICATION OF COLONIZATION! Tell Disney Not to Make “Princess of North Sudan”!
- Amtrak Passenger Claims DEA Agent Straight Up Stole $60 From His Wallet
- Mapuche: Gira de Jaime Huenchullan a Europa
- The Face of Litter: DNA taken from trash used to map features of litterbugs in Hong Kong — RT News
- County sheriff has used stingray over 300 times with no warrant | Ars Technica
- "Landrieu also worked to expedite the approval of liquified natural gas export terminals, another..." ow.ly/2Z7I2h 11 hours ago
- This Militia Leader Wants To Be The Official 'Military Force' Of One Texas County ow.ly/2Z7DhP 12 hours ago
- Support Online Petition Investigate Death Jopi Flowing Running ow.ly/2Z7DhO 12 hours ago
- Burma passes restrictive population control bill | World War 4 Report ow.ly/2Z7DhQ 12 hours ago
- "Landrieu also worked to expedite the approval of liquified natural gas export terminals, another..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1lmWY09 12 hours ago