A common misconception is that solitary confinement is a punishment of last resort, reserved for inmates who present a threat of violence or escape. The reality—especially in New York, which has the highest rate of “disciplinary segregation” in the country—is that it’s very much a punishment of first resort, doled out for minor rule violations as well as major offenses. In New York, the most common reason for a stint in solitary is creating a “disturbance” or “demonstration.” This can mean anything from mouthing off to guards to fomenting a riot, and it often involves inmates with psychoses or other psychiatric problems. Second is “dirty urine”—testing positive for drugs of any kind. In a prison system where 85 percent of inmates are in need of substance-abuse treatment, drug use alone can get you up to ninety days in solitary, and a year if it happens multiple times. Other infractions include refusing to obey orders, “interfering with employees,” being “out of place” and possession of contraband—not only a shiv but a joint, a cellphone or too many postage stamps.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Support Grows for a National Commission on Reparatory Justice
- Why You Mad Son? Radio | Facebook
- Virginia gunman was told by TV station to seek medical attention, memos say | US news | The Guardian
- COINTELPRO warrior Dhoruba bin Wahad attacked by New Black Panther Party – National Cointelpro | Examiner.com
- LAPD & Chicago bought “Stingrays on steroids” with asset-forfeiture & DHS money – Boing Boing
- Palestinian Women, Children Stop IDF Soldier Detaining a Minor - Diplomacy and Defense - Haaretz ow.ly/33mlJL 16 hours ago
- Michigan court says juveniles can be raped and abused in prison ow.ly/33lJhG 23 hours ago
- "The term “less than lethal” is thrown around to make tasers, which have been responsible for..." ow.ly/33lIIT 23 hours ago
- "The term “less than lethal” is thrown around to make tasers, which have been responsible for hundreds..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1t2AP6z 1 day ago
- Michigan Bar Strips Racist Author Kyle Bristow of Short-Story Award | Southern Poverty Law Center ow.ly/33lB3G 1 day ago