A common misconception is that solitary confinement is a punishment of last resort, reserved for inmates who present a threat of violence or escape. The reality—especially in New York, which has the highest rate of “disciplinary segregation” in the country—is that it’s very much a punishment of first resort, doled out for minor rule violations as well as major offenses. In New York, the most common reason for a stint in solitary is creating a “disturbance” or “demonstration.” This can mean anything from mouthing off to guards to fomenting a riot, and it often involves inmates with psychoses or other psychiatric problems. Second is “dirty urine”—testing positive for drugs of any kind. In a prison system where 85 percent of inmates are in need of substance-abuse treatment, drug use alone can get you up to ninety days in solitary, and a year if it happens multiple times. Other infractions include refusing to obey orders, “interfering with employees,” being “out of place” and possession of contraband—not only a shiv but a joint, a cellphone or too many postage stamps.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- THE GREAT EUROPEAN EXPERIMENT FALLS APART
- NASCAR tells fans not to bring Confederate flags to races
- British artists against TTIP trade deal
- United States arms profits first, Bahraini human rights a poor second
- National/Guerrero: Nine months after the Ayotzinapa atrocity, relatives express that they will not be silenced
- Israel killed 23 Palestinians since start of 2015: PLO - Israel killed 23 Palestinians since start of 2015: PLO: [... ow.ly/30Y3fB 36 minutes ago
- 'They burned Mohammed once, but we burn every day': One year since the murder of Mohammed Abu Khdeir ow.ly/30Y3fC 36 minutes ago
- Black Woman Artist Poses Nude at Former New York City Slave Trading Sites, Including Wall Street | Black Girl with... ow.ly/30Y3fD 36 minutes ago
- 4thWorldRadyo: #Genocide, #Totalitarianism & #HumanRights In #OccupiedGaza w/ #AntiZionist activist @Thalwen ow.ly/PcnQJ 1 hour ago
- "…Fellow-citizens, pardon me, allow me to ask, why am I called upon to speak here to-day? What..." ow.ly/30X1gq 16 hours ago