A common misconception is that solitary confinement is a punishment of last resort, reserved for inmates who present a threat of violence or escape. The reality—especially in New York, which has the highest rate of “disciplinary segregation” in the country—is that it’s very much a punishment of first resort, doled out for minor rule violations as well as major offenses. In New York, the most common reason for a stint in solitary is creating a “disturbance” or “demonstration.” This can mean anything from mouthing off to guards to fomenting a riot, and it often involves inmates with psychoses or other psychiatric problems. Second is “dirty urine”—testing positive for drugs of any kind. In a prison system where 85 percent of inmates are in need of substance-abuse treatment, drug use alone can get you up to ninety days in solitary, and a year if it happens multiple times. Other infractions include refusing to obey orders, “interfering with employees,” being “out of place” and possession of contraband—not only a shiv but a joint, a cellphone or too many postage stamps.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Wikimedia v. NSA: Standing and the Fight for Free Speech and Privacy | Just Security
- SCLC director calls on black families to arm themselves | www.ajc.com
- Iran-backed rebels loot Yemen files about U.S. spy operations – LA Times
- Palestinians prepared to trigger case as they join ICC | Egypt Independent
- Mumia Abu-Jamal Moved from Prison to Intensive Care, Supporters Seek Access and Answers | Democracy Now!
- "Texas Republicans voted to divert funds from an HIV screening program into abstinence education..." ow.ly/2WO5um 8 hours ago
- ISIS seizes most of Yarmouk refugee camp in Damascus: PLO | News , Middle East | THE DAILY STAR ow.ly/2WO261 9 hours ago
- "Texas Republicans voted to divert funds from an HIV screening program into abstinence education..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1hLY-ej 9 hours ago
- Morning Star :: British politicians back Maduro’s Venezuela - Morning Star :: British politicians back Maduro’s Ve... ow.ly/2WNIoF 10 hours ago
- "She says it’s hate speech and must be investigated. "Completely horrendous. Like to say..." ow.ly/2WNE3v 11 hours ago