A common misconception is that solitary confinement is a punishment of last resort, reserved for inmates who present a threat of violence or escape. The reality—especially in New York, which has the highest rate of “disciplinary segregation” in the country—is that it’s very much a punishment of first resort, doled out for minor rule violations as well as major offenses. In New York, the most common reason for a stint in solitary is creating a “disturbance” or “demonstration.” This can mean anything from mouthing off to guards to fomenting a riot, and it often involves inmates with psychoses or other psychiatric problems. Second is “dirty urine”—testing positive for drugs of any kind. In a prison system where 85 percent of inmates are in need of substance-abuse treatment, drug use alone can get you up to ninety days in solitary, and a year if it happens multiple times. Other infractions include refusing to obey orders, “interfering with employees,” being “out of place” and possession of contraband—not only a shiv but a joint, a cellphone or too many postage stamps.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Will Paris Attacks Breathe New Life Into London’s Special Relationship With the U.S.? | Foreign Policy
- From Console to Trigger: How Pentagon “Exploits” Video Game Culture to Wire Youth for War | Democracy Now!
- GOP establishment fears Donald Trump could permanently tarnish Republican party image – The Boston Globe
- Former al-Qaeda mufti: I condemn ISIL attacks – Al Jazeera English
- Dell apologizes for preinstalling bogus root-certificate on computers / Boing Boing
- Will Paris Attacks Breathe New Life Into London’s Special Relationship With the U.S.? | Foreign Policy ow.ly/38nAYE 34 minutes ago
- From Console to Trigger: How Pentagon "Exploits" Video Game Culture to Wire Youth for War | Democracy Now! ow.ly/38lMQq 20 hours ago
- AWARE-LA - Statement in Solidarity with #BlackLivesMatter... | Facebook ow.ly/38lC8I 21 hours ago
- GOP establishment fears Donald Trump could permanently tarnish Republican party image - The Boston Globe ow.ly/38lBDP 21 hours ago
- 4thWorldRadyo: #DrBenCarson does not Speak 4 Me & Other COINTELPRO Distractions in N.America is.gd/tncaSh https://t.co/vMYnBt4a0E 22 hours ago