A common misconception is that solitary confinement is a punishment of last resort, reserved for inmates who present a threat of violence or escape. The reality—especially in New York, which has the highest rate of “disciplinary segregation” in the country—is that it’s very much a punishment of first resort, doled out for minor rule violations as well as major offenses. In New York, the most common reason for a stint in solitary is creating a “disturbance” or “demonstration.” This can mean anything from mouthing off to guards to fomenting a riot, and it often involves inmates with psychoses or other psychiatric problems. Second is “dirty urine”—testing positive for drugs of any kind. In a prison system where 85 percent of inmates are in need of substance-abuse treatment, drug use alone can get you up to ninety days in solitary, and a year if it happens multiple times. Other infractions include refusing to obey orders, “interfering with employees,” being “out of place” and possession of contraband—not only a shiv but a joint, a cellphone or too many postage stamps.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Deli Owner Hangs White Pride Sign In Window, Promptly Goes Out Of Business
- Former BCL workers reject local environmental knowledge in heated FB debate
- several more tedious pindosi media deceptions (but they come to light more often, too)
- DEA, US Army bought $1.2M worth of hacking tools in recent years | Ars Technica
- Feds Indict Houston PD ‘Officer of the Year’ for Trafficking Cocaine for Los Zetas Cartel – The True News
- "Following the execution of Saddam Hussein on 30 December, 2006, Al-Douri was confirmed as the new..." ow.ly/2XzGh4 2 minutes ago
- "Following the execution of Saddam Hussein on 30 December, 2006, Al-Douri was confirmed as the new..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1im5vFp 41 minutes ago
- 4thWorldRadyo: '500 More Years of White Racist #Colonialism & Abuse?' is.gd/9Urpw8 #WalterScott #JusticeForCindyGladue #Mumia 45 minutes ago
- APNS Novaĵagentejo - The Indigenist Newswire ow.ly/LIQkl 1 day ago
- "Hackers also leaked digital files that contained confidential information.@These files contained..." ow.ly/2XuB9j 2 days ago