A common misconception is that solitary confinement is a punishment of last resort, reserved for inmates who present a threat of violence or escape. The reality—especially in New York, which has the highest rate of “disciplinary segregation” in the country—is that it’s very much a punishment of first resort, doled out for minor rule violations as well as major offenses. In New York, the most common reason for a stint in solitary is creating a “disturbance” or “demonstration.” This can mean anything from mouthing off to guards to fomenting a riot, and it often involves inmates with psychoses or other psychiatric problems. Second is “dirty urine”—testing positive for drugs of any kind. In a prison system where 85 percent of inmates are in need of substance-abuse treatment, drug use alone can get you up to ninety days in solitary, and a year if it happens multiple times. Other infractions include refusing to obey orders, “interfering with employees,” being “out of place” and possession of contraband—not only a shiv but a joint, a cellphone or too many postage stamps.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Gay CIA Contractor Claims Dangerous Harassment in War Zone | abc13.com
- “Is this your car?”: Like Sandra Bland, I confronted an officer who pulled me over for driving while black – Salon.com
- Denver Police Tell Lies About Fatal Shooting Of Native American Paul Castaway
- 5 Craziest Cults Still Operating Today | The Strange List
- Demand The US Justice Dept Do The Right Thing Philly August 1st | Moorbey’z Blog
- "But pre-mass-media, the keffiyeh had already played a unifying role in the face of another occupier,..." ow.ly/31Xq4q 2 hours ago
- Amanda Terkel: There Have Been 132 Pro-Confederate Flag Rallies Since The Charleston Shooting ow.ly/31XpGx 2 hours ago
- US Says Release of Israeli Spy in November Not Connected to Iran Nuke Deal / Sputnik International ow.ly/31XpGz 2 hours ago
- The last keffiyeh factory in Palestine | Middle East Eye - The last keffiyeh factory in Palestine | Middle East Ey... ow.ly/31XpGy 2 hours ago
- "But pre-mass-media, the keffiyeh had already played a unifying role in the face of another occupier,..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1qjPEhw 2 hours ago