A common misconception is that solitary confinement is a punishment of last resort, reserved for inmates who present a threat of violence or escape. The reality—especially in New York, which has the highest rate of “disciplinary segregation” in the country—is that it’s very much a punishment of first resort, doled out for minor rule violations as well as major offenses. In New York, the most common reason for a stint in solitary is creating a “disturbance” or “demonstration.” This can mean anything from mouthing off to guards to fomenting a riot, and it often involves inmates with psychoses or other psychiatric problems. Second is “dirty urine”—testing positive for drugs of any kind. In a prison system where 85 percent of inmates are in need of substance-abuse treatment, drug use alone can get you up to ninety days in solitary, and a year if it happens multiple times. Other infractions include refusing to obey orders, “interfering with employees,” being “out of place” and possession of contraband—not only a shiv but a joint, a cellphone or too many postage stamps.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- dailykos.com: Jewish guy declares himself alt-right. Alt-right promptly informs him they’d prefer him dead.
- 4th World Radyo: ‘North American Political Education Basics 103’
- The FBI’s Megaupload Domains Are Now Hosting Porn Ads | Techdirt
- NSA, Unit 8200, and Malware Proliferation
- Africa: Ethiopia Marching to Be Third FDI Destination in Africa
- Seriously, What Orthodox Women Wear to the Beach Is No Different From a Burkini ow.ly/K3nE503XYJW 2 hours ago
- "The Pacific countries lack, or have limited, indigenous energy resources while the high cost of..." ow.ly/aSJM503XHZb 4 hours ago
- artifakultur: World feels insane at the moment cartoon by... ow.ly/VJRH503WDfU 14 hours ago
- The future of the FARC-EP as a political party (II) - The future of the FARC-EP as a political party (II): fuck... ow.ly/p5wX503Wyk2 15 hours ago
- The Secret Justice System That Lets Executives Escape Their Crimes ow.ly/LoCs503Wvnb 16 hours ago
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.