Contact: Sharon Singh, email@example.com, 202-675-8579, @spksinghWashington, D.C. – Amnesty International today called on Czech authorities to prevent forcibly evicting dozens of Roma families living in rental accommodations in the north-eastern Czech town of Ostrava this weekend.On Friday morning, the head of Ostrava’s construction office delivered an eviction notice to more than 40 Roma families living in rented housing on Prednadrazi Street, giving them just over 24 hours to leave the premises voluntarily. If the inhabitants fail to leave, they risk having the police enforce the eviction order.Since local authorities provided only a day’s notice, the human rights organization is concerned that it will amount to an illegal forced eviction. Thirty families with have not been provided alternative housing arrangements yet.“If an eviction is found to be the only workable option, nobody should be left homeless,” said Jezerca Tigani, Europe and Central Asia deputy program director at Amnesty International. “The authorities must ensure that any alternative accommodation complies with the criteria for adequate housing.”
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- 4thWorldRadyo: La Zapatistas – The Ongoing Struggle Against neo-Colonialism with the AngryWhiteKid
- Judge With Links To Mike Huckabee Curiously Orders Police To Destroy Josh Duggar Report
- CIA Officer Jeffrey Sterling Sentenced to Prison: The Latest Blow in the Government’s War on Journalism | The Nation
- If you’re a CIA employee it’s ok to torture people, but talk to a reporter? Go to jail. – Boing Boing
- Petition: SAY NO TO DISNEYFICATION OF COLONIZATION! Tell Disney Not to Make “Princess of North Sudan”!
- 4thWorldRadyo: La #Zapatistas – The Ongoing Struggle Against #neoColonialism w the @angrywhitekid ow.ly/NwSIo #EZLN 11 hours ago
- "The ACLU released the video before reporting a settlement agreement with the city of Barstow that..." ow.ly/2ZavkD 12 hours ago
- "The ACLU released the video before reporting a settlement agreement with the city of Barstow that..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1lrGCfz 13 hours ago
- "The organizer of the event, Jon Ritzheimer, has held two protests in Phoenix since the Texas..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1lrFqn8 13 hours ago
- "Cockburn is conscious of his exalted position. He frequently admonishes his colleagues against the..." ow.ly/2Zatvd 13 hours ago