Contact: Sharon Singh, firstname.lastname@example.org, 202-675-8579, @spksinghWashington, D.C. – Amnesty International today called on Czech authorities to prevent forcibly evicting dozens of Roma families living in rental accommodations in the north-eastern Czech town of Ostrava this weekend.On Friday morning, the head of Ostrava’s construction office delivered an eviction notice to more than 40 Roma families living in rented housing on Prednadrazi Street, giving them just over 24 hours to leave the premises voluntarily. If the inhabitants fail to leave, they risk having the police enforce the eviction order.Since local authorities provided only a day’s notice, the human rights organization is concerned that it will amount to an illegal forced eviction. Thirty families with have not been provided alternative housing arrangements yet.“If an eviction is found to be the only workable option, nobody should be left homeless,” said Jezerca Tigani, Europe and Central Asia deputy program director at Amnesty International. “The authorities must ensure that any alternative accommodation complies with the criteria for adequate housing.”
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- SBS sports reporter Scott McIntyre sacked over ‘disrespectful’ Anzac tweets | Media | The Guardian
- Update on Mumia’z Health 4/22
- Italy investigators say Vatican link in ‘al-Qaeda’ arrests – BBC News
- Arizona Sheriff Describes Investigation Into Judge’s Wife
- Chicago Is About to Offer the Nation’s First Reparations Program for Victims of Police Violence | The Nation
- नेपाल भूकंप: मरने वालों की संख्या 4,000 के पार, 7,000 जख्मी-Khabar IndiaTV ow.ly/2XXmoo 1 hour ago
- whitegirlsaintshit: whatisthat-velvet: To be clear: the... - whitegirlsaintshit: whatisthat-velvet: To be clear: t... ow.ly/2XXm08 1 hour ago
- Photo: whitegirlsaintshit: whatisthat-velvet: To be clear: the protesters are high school students who... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1jW4wO0 1 hour ago
- Photo: bitterbitchclubpresident: fyeahindigenousfashion: tee, Indigenous Princess (Tlingit) Must have!!! tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1jW4UQe 1 hour ago
- Photo: revolutionarykoolaid: They buried Freddie today. He is one of too many lives stolen by the Baltimore... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1jW4Is0 1 hour ago