Contact: Sharon Singh, firstname.lastname@example.org, 202-675-8579, @spksinghWashington, D.C. – Amnesty International today called on Czech authorities to prevent forcibly evicting dozens of Roma families living in rental accommodations in the north-eastern Czech town of Ostrava this weekend.On Friday morning, the head of Ostrava’s construction office delivered an eviction notice to more than 40 Roma families living in rented housing on Prednadrazi Street, giving them just over 24 hours to leave the premises voluntarily. If the inhabitants fail to leave, they risk having the police enforce the eviction order.Since local authorities provided only a day’s notice, the human rights organization is concerned that it will amount to an illegal forced eviction. Thirty families with have not been provided alternative housing arrangements yet.“If an eviction is found to be the only workable option, nobody should be left homeless,” said Jezerca Tigani, Europe and Central Asia deputy program director at Amnesty International. “The authorities must ensure that any alternative accommodation complies with the criteria for adequate housing.”
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Bolivian-Venezuelan Military construction team begins work on TIPNIS highway
- New Paramilitary Attack in the Caracol of Resistance towards a New Dawn, La Garrucha
- Ninth Circuit (Largely) Rejects Alaska Eskimo Whaling Commission Challenge to Oil & Gas Exploration Permits
- Cybersquatters giving some US presidential candidates a bad name
- Support Greece, not banking billionaires, British Labourite Corbyn says
- The 29 Elected Officials Who Can't Handle the Truth: Which WA Legislators Voted No on Native History in Public Sch... ow.ly/30JLYI 13 hours ago
- More damning evidence of the impacts of GMOs in Brazil - Global Justice Ecology Project ow.ly/30JHIS 13 hours ago
- KKK plans South Carolina State House rally | News & Observer ow.ly/30JHIR 13 hours ago
- KKK Launches Massive Membership Drive After Charleston Massacre - Linkis.com ow.ly/30JHIT 13 hours ago
- "“This is a war that I saw destroy lives,” she said. “It eliminated a generation of African American..." ow.ly/30JzQY 14 hours ago