Contact: Sharon Singh, firstname.lastname@example.org, 202-675-8579, @spksinghWashington, D.C. – Amnesty International today called on Czech authorities to prevent forcibly evicting dozens of Roma families living in rental accommodations in the north-eastern Czech town of Ostrava this weekend.On Friday morning, the head of Ostrava’s construction office delivered an eviction notice to more than 40 Roma families living in rented housing on Prednadrazi Street, giving them just over 24 hours to leave the premises voluntarily. If the inhabitants fail to leave, they risk having the police enforce the eviction order.Since local authorities provided only a day’s notice, the human rights organization is concerned that it will amount to an illegal forced eviction. Thirty families with have not been provided alternative housing arrangements yet.“If an eviction is found to be the only workable option, nobody should be left homeless,” said Jezerca Tigani, Europe and Central Asia deputy program director at Amnesty International. “The authorities must ensure that any alternative accommodation complies with the criteria for adequate housing.”
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Anti-gay crusader had 250-page FBI file | TheHill
- On the blacklist: how did the UK’s top building firms get secret information on their workers? | UK news | The Guardian
- WordPress Sites Vulnerable to Plugin-Related SQL Attacks | Threatpost | The first stop for security news
- ‘Ex-Israeli agents’ threatened cyber attack on S Africa – Al Jazeera English
- Gemalto Doesn’t Know What It Doesn’t Know – The Intercept
- Centering the voices of people who trade or sell sex in indigenous anti-violence organizing: Statement from the In... ow.ly/2VikVJ 7 hours ago
- Swastikas spray-painted on cars lead to hate-crime probe in Montreal - Montreal - CBC News ow.ly/2VijF7 7 hours ago
- Centering the voices of people who trade or sell sex in indigenous anti-violence organizing: Statement from... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1efqLeC 8 hours ago
- "”Jag kan inte stå för att hon möter en oliktänkande med ett tillhygge”, säger Eva Johansson,..." ow.ly/2Vi4Mj 10 hours ago
- Oil Spill: Syndicates Defraud Communities As Shell Remains Adamant On Payout | Sahara Reporters ow.ly/2Vi3G2 10 hours ago