Contact: Sharon Singh, firstname.lastname@example.org, 202-675-8579, @spksinghWashington, D.C. – Amnesty International today called on Czech authorities to prevent forcibly evicting dozens of Roma families living in rental accommodations in the north-eastern Czech town of Ostrava this weekend.On Friday morning, the head of Ostrava’s construction office delivered an eviction notice to more than 40 Roma families living in rented housing on Prednadrazi Street, giving them just over 24 hours to leave the premises voluntarily. If the inhabitants fail to leave, they risk having the police enforce the eviction order.Since local authorities provided only a day’s notice, the human rights organization is concerned that it will amount to an illegal forced eviction. Thirty families with have not been provided alternative housing arrangements yet.“If an eviction is found to be the only workable option, nobody should be left homeless,” said Jezerca Tigani, Europe and Central Asia deputy program director at Amnesty International. “The authorities must ensure that any alternative accommodation complies with the criteria for adequate housing.”
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Socialism According to Eugene V. Debs by Elizabeth Schulte
- Why the cynical focus on ‘Honour crimes’ won’t combat gender violence in the UK | Media Diversified
- Fourth World Radyo: African Objectivity versus Black Angst: The Dilemma of Liberationist Politic
- Gay CIA Contractor Claims Dangerous Harassment in War Zone | abc13.com
- “Is this your car?”: Like Sandra Bland, I confronted an officer who pulled me over for driving while black – Salon.com
- (via Video: ‘Muslims are biggest victims’: ISIS’ online... - (via Video: ‘Muslims are biggest victims’: ISIS’ onli... ow.ly/327yL3 36 minutes ago
- Conservatives increase pressure on Rouhani - Al-Monitor: the Pulse of the Middle East ow.ly/327ygF 36 minutes ago
- Video: (via Video: ‘Muslims are biggest victims’: ISIS’ online recruiting success story) tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1r3ueoD 1 hour ago
- The #BaltimoreUprising and #Afro-Academic #Schadenfreude w/ @aptly_engineerd - APNS Public Radyo is.gd/kAAbKD #BlackAndJewish 1 hour ago
- Michaela Whitton: UK Politicians Call For Army To Round Up Migrants And Put Them In Camps ow.ly/327ux7 1 hour ago