The New York City Police Department has launched a new citywide surveillance system that will allow police to monitor thousands of cameras around the city and instantly call up detailed information about surveillance targets. The Domain Awareness System is connected to about 3,000 television cameras stationed around New York City — with more cameras reportedly planned — as well as several hundred license-plate readers mounted on police cars and stationed on bridges, tunnels and streets. It centralizes information including live video feeds, maps, license plate readers and city records, allowing police to gain instant access to information about a suspect’s arrest records, 911 calls associated with a suspect, and related crimes that have occurred in a particular area. It also allows police to track cars associated with suspects and find out where they have been over the past several months. The system was developed by the NYPD and software giant Microsoft, and the city will reportedly get 30 percent of the revenue when the technology is sold to police forces around the country.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Support Grows for a National Commission on Reparatory Justice
- Why You Mad Son? Radio | Facebook
- Virginia gunman was told by TV station to seek medical attention, memos say | US news | The Guardian
- COINTELPRO warrior Dhoruba bin Wahad attacked by New Black Panther Party – National Cointelpro | Examiner.com
- LAPD & Chicago bought “Stingrays on steroids” with asset-forfeiture & DHS money – Boing Boing
- Palestinian Women, Children Stop IDF Soldier Detaining a Minor - Diplomacy and Defense - Haaretz ow.ly/33mlJL 4 hours ago
- Michigan court says juveniles can be raped and abused in prison ow.ly/33lJhG 11 hours ago
- "The term “less than lethal” is thrown around to make tasers, which have been responsible for..." ow.ly/33lIIT 11 hours ago
- "The term “less than lethal” is thrown around to make tasers, which have been responsible for hundreds..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1t2AP6z 12 hours ago
- Michigan Bar Strips Racist Author Kyle Bristow of Short-Story Award | Southern Poverty Law Center ow.ly/33lB3G 12 hours ago