The New York City Police Department has launched a new citywide surveillance system that will allow police to monitor thousands of cameras around the city and instantly call up detailed information about surveillance targets. The Domain Awareness System is connected to about 3,000 television cameras stationed around New York City — with more cameras reportedly planned — as well as several hundred license-plate readers mounted on police cars and stationed on bridges, tunnels and streets. It centralizes information including live video feeds, maps, license plate readers and city records, allowing police to gain instant access to information about a suspect’s arrest records, 911 calls associated with a suspect, and related crimes that have occurred in a particular area. It also allows police to track cars associated with suspects and find out where they have been over the past several months. The system was developed by the NYPD and software giant Microsoft, and the city will reportedly get 30 percent of the revenue when the technology is sold to police forces around the country.
Southern Poverty Law Center
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- 4th World Radyo :: ‘False Promises, Broken Dreams and Ersatz Progressivism’ :: What Next for the International Afro-Left Under Trump’s White Nationalism?
- Trump’s Hotel Bans Press For Inauguration, Raising First Amendment Concerns
- Syria to UN: Israel launched missile attack, has conspired in civil war – Arab-Israeli Conflict – Jerusalem Post
- Resisting the Trump Administration: Tasks for the Left
- Trump takes office in violation of anti-corruption norms | Compliance Campaign
- Tsunami warning after massive earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea – The Advertiser | PNGTOK ow.ly/dQZt508P3Rl 2 hours ago
- Show your solidarity this Survival Day - Amnesty International Australia ow.ly/3Xzy508P20Q 3 hours ago
- Donald Trump - Full Documentary of a Narcissistic... - Donald Trump - Full Documentary of a Narcissistic Sociop... ow.ly/2yTy508P1sy 3 hours ago
- For Palestinians living in Hebron, everyday is a maze of... - For Palestinians living in Hebron, everyday is a ... ow.ly/Qc1W508OYzN 4 hours ago
- Indiĝenaj Inteligenteco | A Fourth World Intelligence Newsblog ow.ly/i24c308ech0 4 hours ago
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.