The New York City Police Department has launched a new citywide surveillance system that will allow police to monitor thousands of cameras around the city and instantly call up detailed information about surveillance targets. The Domain Awareness System is connected to about 3,000 television cameras stationed around New York City — with more cameras reportedly planned — as well as several hundred license-plate readers mounted on police cars and stationed on bridges, tunnels and streets. It centralizes information including live video feeds, maps, license plate readers and city records, allowing police to gain instant access to information about a suspect’s arrest records, 911 calls associated with a suspect, and related crimes that have occurred in a particular area. It also allows police to track cars associated with suspects and find out where they have been over the past several months. The system was developed by the NYPD and software giant Microsoft, and the city will reportedly get 30 percent of the revenue when the technology is sold to police forces around the country.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Dissent on Israel Not Permitted at Bernie Sanders Event
- Editorial: Rudy Giuliani, a sellout on gun control stance – NY Daily News
- Video shows NYPD cop pepper spray man after allegedly taking his cash | Fusion
- This Tattooed, Head-shaven, Straight-talking Mayor Wants to Be the Next Senator From Pennsylvania
- Anti-Muslim Protests Scheduled Nationwide: ‘Global Rally For Humanity’ Calls On Demonstrations In Front Of Mosques Across US Cities
- “Manvertisements” and Toxic Masculinity - “Manvertisements” and Toxic Masculinity: As Harris O’Malley wrote on the... ow.ly/358Taf 1 hour ago
- “Manvertisements” and Toxic Masculinity - As Harris O’Malley wrote on the Daily Dot, “the strictures of... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1vhO-5R 1 hour ago
- 4thWorldRadyo invites @TherealGeorgeZ 2 exp why #ChrisHarperMercer is #MixedRace & he isnt ow.ly/T6ehP http://t.co/YoMrM0l7QR 2 hours ago
- "Explaining the blackout on their site, they wrote: “Our culture rewards folks for RTs and posting..." ow.ly/3589rG 6 hours ago
- [Modern Times] | 4th World Issues, International Politics & Conscious Afro-Indigenismo ow.ly/T5zZi 7 hours ago