The New York City Police Department has launched a new citywide surveillance system that will allow police to monitor thousands of cameras around the city and instantly call up detailed information about surveillance targets. The Domain Awareness System is connected to about 3,000 television cameras stationed around New York City — with more cameras reportedly planned — as well as several hundred license-plate readers mounted on police cars and stationed on bridges, tunnels and streets. It centralizes information including live video feeds, maps, license plate readers and city records, allowing police to gain instant access to information about a suspect’s arrest records, 911 calls associated with a suspect, and related crimes that have occurred in a particular area. It also allows police to track cars associated with suspects and find out where they have been over the past several months. The system was developed by the NYPD and software giant Microsoft, and the city will reportedly get 30 percent of the revenue when the technology is sold to police forces around the country.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- THE GREAT EUROPEAN EXPERIMENT FALLS APART
- NASCAR tells fans not to bring Confederate flags to races
- British artists against TTIP trade deal
- United States arms profits first, Bahraini human rights a poor second
- National/Guerrero: Nine months after the Ayotzinapa atrocity, relatives express that they will not be silenced
- German’s Highest-Ranking Prosecutor on the Legality of Drone Strikes – and Much More | Just Security ow.ly/311NWk 7 hours ago
- fergusonresponse: M4BL - Midwest Regional Conference CallTHU... ow.ly/311le2 10 hours ago
- Racist Twitter attacks on U of T professor by Alberta oil activists spark complaint | National Observer ow.ly/311jvd 10 hours ago
- Photoset: fergusonresponse: M4BL - Midwest Regional Conference Call THU JUL 9 - 9:00 PM EDT/8:00 PM CDT... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1owM29S 11 hours ago
- Now the truth emerges: how the US fuelled the rise of Isis in Syria and Iraq - fuckyeahmarxismleninism: For... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1owLxu2 11 hours ago