After we read through the Advisory Board documents, we quickly sent Open Records requests to several of the states involved in the pilot program. The documents we received from Maryland and Hawaii further flesh out the story. For example, the Memorandum of Understanding MOU between Hawaii and the FBI shows that the government is building NGI to “permit photo submissions independent of arrests.” This is a problem because, the FBI has stated it wants to use its facial recognition system to “identify subjects in public datasets” and “conduct automated surveillance at lookout locations” p.5. This suggests the FBI wants to be able to search and identify people in photos of crowds and in pictures posted on social media sites—even if the people in those photos haven’t been arrested for or even suspected of a crime. The FBI may also want to incorporate those crowd or social media photos into its face recognition database.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- WordPress Sites Vulnerable to Plugin-Related SQL Attacks | Threatpost | The first stop for security news
- ‘Ex-Israeli agents’ threatened cyber attack on S Africa – Al Jazeera English
- Gemalto Doesn’t Know What It Doesn’t Know – The Intercept
- Who is responsible for death threats from a Twitter bot?
- Bill O’Reilly allegedly threatens reporter amid accusations that he lied about Falklands War coverage – Americas – World – The Independent
- #AmericanSniper & #AmericanExceptionalism' w/ @MichaelBucher & @bobkincaid | APNSPR is.gd/9Sg0eB 13 minutes ago
- Scott Walker: Workers are Terrorists | The Fifth Column - Scott Walker: Workers are Terrorists | The Fifth Column:... ow.ly/2VghUc 19 minutes ago
- "It is my hope that providing increased transparency around the amount and source of funding of our..." ow.ly/2VgeKy 21 minutes ago
- In 10 mins: open line 'aboriginalnewsgroup' via Skype: Tell APNSPR what you remember about our late Sister, Joan Rodriguez (@Joanie399) 29 minutes ago
- 4thWorldRadyo: 'American Sniper & American Exceptionalism' featuring @MichaelBucher 's single: #NotAMascot is.gd/zBl8qx #NDN 33 minutes ago