After we read through the Advisory Board documents, we quickly sent Open Records requests to several of the states involved in the pilot program. The documents we received from Maryland and Hawaii further flesh out the story. For example, the Memorandum of Understanding MOU between Hawaii and the FBI shows that the government is building NGI to “permit photo submissions independent of arrests.” This is a problem because, the FBI has stated it wants to use its facial recognition system to “identify subjects in public datasets” and “conduct automated surveillance at lookout locations” p.5. This suggests the FBI wants to be able to search and identify people in photos of crowds and in pictures posted on social media sites—even if the people in those photos haven’t been arrested for or even suspected of a crime. The FBI may also want to incorporate those crowd or social media photos into its face recognition database.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Socialism According to Eugene V. Debs by Elizabeth Schulte
- Why the cynical focus on ‘Honour crimes’ won’t combat gender violence in the UK | Media Diversified
- Fourth World Radyo: African Objectivity versus Black Angst: The Dilemma of Liberationist Politic
- Gay CIA Contractor Claims Dangerous Harassment in War Zone | abc13.com
- “Is this your car?”: Like Sandra Bland, I confronted an officer who pulled me over for driving while black – Salon.com
- Native American Woman Dies in Jail, Begging for Help. Officers Told Her to “Quit Faking” | The Free Thought Projec... ow.ly/327MP4 16 hours ago
- Suffering and loss in Istanbul’s transgender slum | Middle East Eye ow.ly/327MP5 16 hours ago
- (via ▶ Lobbyist Claims Monsanto’s Roundup Is Safe To... - (via ▶ Lobbyist Claims Monsanto’s Roundup Is Safe To Dri... ow.ly/327IR8 17 hours ago
- Organizaciones indígenas y campesinas solicitarán referéndum para reelegir a Evo Morales | RNV ow.ly/327Ivz 17 hours ago
- Video: (via ▶ Lobbyist Claims Monsanto’s Roundup Is Safe To Drink, Freaks Out When Offered A Glass -... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1r4WraQ 17 hours ago