After we read through the Advisory Board documents, we quickly sent Open Records requests to several of the states involved in the pilot program. The documents we received from Maryland and Hawaii further flesh out the story. For example, the Memorandum of Understanding MOU between Hawaii and the FBI shows that the government is building NGI to “permit photo submissions independent of arrests.” This is a problem because, the FBI has stated it wants to use its facial recognition system to “identify subjects in public datasets” and “conduct automated surveillance at lookout locations” p.5. This suggests the FBI wants to be able to search and identify people in photos of crowds and in pictures posted on social media sites—even if the people in those photos haven’t been arrested for or even suspected of a crime. The FBI may also want to incorporate those crowd or social media photos into its face recognition database.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- THE GREAT EUROPEAN EXPERIMENT FALLS APART
- NASCAR tells fans not to bring Confederate flags to races
- British artists against TTIP trade deal
- United States arms profits first, Bahraini human rights a poor second
- National/Guerrero: Nine months after the Ayotzinapa atrocity, relatives express that they will not be silenced
- Criticising me is creating disunity and you go to Hell! | Sarawak Report ow.ly/30Wse0 52 minutes ago
- London 'anti-Jewification' demo dwarfed by anti-fascist counter-protest | World news | The Guardian ow.ly/30WsdZ 52 minutes ago
- Video: Video shows a New York City cop fighting a suspect before he is eventually arrested. CNN’s Brooke... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1omFEL6 56 minutes ago
- Video: Baltimore authorities are investigating after photos emerge showing the inside of a police van with... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1omDtCJ 1 hour ago
- "Studs opens the conversation with Baldwin by playing a Bessie Smith recording; how that bit of blues..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1om8lI3 1 hour ago