A PROMINENT Papua New Guinea politician says he will take legal action to stop Manus Island detention centre being reopened to house asylum seekers. National Capital District Governor Powes Parkop, a member of Prime Minister Peter ONeills coalition government, says a detention centre contradicts PNGs law and culture.”You cannot detain people here in PNG – even if they are aliens from outer space – we cannot detain them indefinitely,” Mr Parkop says.”Thats the law in PNG. It isnt in our culture to lock people up without a charge.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Mumia Abu-Jamal Moved from Prison to Intensive Care, Supporters Seek Access and Answers | Democracy Now!
- Please take some time to show your solidarity with the Heiltsuk People!
- Mumia Hospitalized: Family Visitation Denied | Prison Radio
- Government delivered a letter of protest against the decree Obama on the US Embassy (AUDIO) | RNV – Radio Nacional de Venezuela
- Arab states should “strike” Gaza like Yemen, says advisor to Mahmoud Abbas | The Electronic Intifada
- "Bad-Jacketing is a technique used to isolate and eliminate individuals from playing an effective..." ow.ly/2WL4na 10 hours ago
- "Bad-Jacketing is a technique used to isolate and eliminate individuals from playing an effective role..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1hHC5QG 11 hours ago
- "I know that Gov. Pence has tried to falsely suggest that the law that was signed in Indiana is the..." ow.ly/2WKZcU 11 hours ago
- "But as both NBC and ABC explained during their evening news reports on the newly passed measure,..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1hH96sP 11 hours ago
- Prosecutor dies of wounds after Istanbul hostage shootout | Egypt Independent ow.ly/2WKWh9 11 hours ago