Pakistani police arrested an Imam on Sunday over accusations he had planted evidence on a Christian girl accused of burning a Koran, allegedly to frame her. Witnesses say the cleric tore pages from the Koran and planted them in the girl’s bag.Imam Khalid Chishti had previously presented police with evidence that Rimsha Masih – a Christian girl believed to be 11 to 14 years old who may also be mentally disabled – had committed blasphemy by burning pages of the Koran. He was arrested on Sunday after witnesses claimed he had falsified the evidence. “The imam was arrested after his deputy Maulvi Zubair and two others told a magistrate he added pages from the Koran to the burnt pages brought to him by a witness,” AFP quoted police official Munir Hussain Jafri as saying.“They protested that he should not add something to the evidence and he should give the evidence to the police as he got it and should not do this,” Jaffri said.Chishti allegedly responded by saying, “You know this is the only way to expel the Christians from this area.”Masihs arrest in August on blasphemy charges prompted international concern. Masih was accused by Chishti and others of burning pages of the Koran, an offense punishable by death under Pakistan’s blasphemy laws. Masih’s age is unknown, but she is believed to be around 14. A government-appointed medical board concluded that she is developmentally disabled, the BBC reported.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- The American Jewish scholar behind Labour’s ‘antisemitism’ scandal breaks his silence | openDemocracy
- Greenpeace dumps TTIP documents that show USA arm-twisting the EU / Boing Boing
- Syria’s Assad Used Chemical Arms Against ISIS – Middle East News – Haaretz
- Son of Missing Jewish CIA Agent Levinson Traveled to Iran in Search of Father – Jewish World News – Haaretz – Israel News Haaretz.com
- Jail didn’t save video footage showing cell of man who died – Houston Chronicle
- Africa: Strong Public Support for 'Watchdog' Role Backs African News Media Under Attack -... ow.ly/8K4VKL 13 minutes ago
- The American Jewish scholar behind Labour’s ‘antisemitism’ scandal breaks his silence | openDemocracy ow.ly/8K4Vyj 13 minutes ago
- PressTV-Spain’s King dissolves parliament - PressTV-Spain’s King dissolves parliament ow.ly/8K4RZp 1 hour ago
- PressTV - Spain’s King dissolves parliament - PressTV - Spain’s King dissolves parliament: King Felipe VI signe... ow.ly/8K4RQD 1 hour ago
- 185,000 Killed in Mexico in 9 Years, 70,000 Under Peña Nieto | News | teleSUR English ow.ly/8K4RQE 1 hour ago
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.