Pakistani police arrested an Imam on Sunday over accusations he had planted evidence on a Christian girl accused of burning a Koran, allegedly to frame her. Witnesses say the cleric tore pages from the Koran and planted them in the girl’s bag.Imam Khalid Chishti had previously presented police with evidence that Rimsha Masih – a Christian girl believed to be 11 to 14 years old who may also be mentally disabled – had committed blasphemy by burning pages of the Koran. He was arrested on Sunday after witnesses claimed he had falsified the evidence. “The imam was arrested after his deputy Maulvi Zubair and two others told a magistrate he added pages from the Koran to the burnt pages brought to him by a witness,” AFP quoted police official Munir Hussain Jafri as saying.“They protested that he should not add something to the evidence and he should give the evidence to the police as he got it and should not do this,” Jaffri said.Chishti allegedly responded by saying, “You know this is the only way to expel the Christians from this area.”Masihs arrest in August on blasphemy charges prompted international concern. Masih was accused by Chishti and others of burning pages of the Koran, an offense punishable by death under Pakistan’s blasphemy laws. Masih’s age is unknown, but she is believed to be around 14. A government-appointed medical board concluded that she is developmentally disabled, the BBC reported.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- WordPress Sites Vulnerable to Plugin-Related SQL Attacks | Threatpost | The first stop for security news
- ‘Ex-Israeli agents’ threatened cyber attack on S Africa – Al Jazeera English
- Gemalto Doesn’t Know What It Doesn’t Know – The Intercept
- Who is responsible for death threats from a Twitter bot?
- Bill O’Reilly allegedly threatens reporter amid accusations that he lied about Falklands War coverage – Americas – World – The Independent
- Antiquities Scholar: Islamic State’s Destruction of Museum & Library is Cultural & Ethnic Cleansing | Democracy No... ow.ly/2VgngL 49 minutes ago
- Native American Council Offers Amnesty to 240 Million Undocumented Whites | City World News ow.ly/2VgngK 49 minutes ago
- What are your thoughts about the #MMIWRoundtable? : open line 'aboriginalnewsgroup' via Skype: Tell APNSPR what you think 1 hour ago
- "At a meeting on Friday in Taos, New Mexico, Native American leaders weighed a handful of proposals..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1eZi0C8 1 hour ago
- Native American Council Offers Amnesty to 240 Million Undocumented Whites | City World News ow.ly/JKyJ6 1 hour ago