The Act and its associated amending legislation, which quickly became known as ‘the intervention’, introduced a range of racist and highly paternalistic measures to ‘prescribed areas’ of the Northern Territory, all of which were aboriginal communities. Those measures included a total ban on the possession and consumption of alcohol, compulsory income management for all welfare recipients (ration cards), compulsory installation of anti-pornography filters on all public computers as well as obligatory record-keeping of all computer users, the cutting back of the permit system for entry onto aboriginal land, the federal government takeover of local services and community stores as well as a ministerial power to suspend all elected councillors, the ban on Northern Territory courts from taking customary law into account when dealing with bail applications and sentencing, and compulsory rent-free five year leases of aboriginal land to the federal government. As an emergency piece of legislation the Act had a sunset clause of five years.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Gay CIA Contractor Claims Dangerous Harassment in War Zone | abc13.com
- “Is this your car?”: Like Sandra Bland, I confronted an officer who pulled me over for driving while black – Salon.com
- Denver Police Tell Lies About Fatal Shooting Of Native American Paul Castaway
- 5 Craziest Cults Still Operating Today | The Strange List
- Demand The US Justice Dept Do The Right Thing Philly August 1st | Moorbey’z Blog
- Photoset: aljazeeraamerica: In June, Matt Heimbach got a call from the FBI asking if he knew Dylann Roof.... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1qiwVBI 17 minutes ago
- Instagram Had to Restrict Sandra Bland's Hashtag for the Most Depressing Reason - Mic ow.ly/31Xab7 1 hour ago
- micdotcom: Instagram had restricted the #SandraBland hashtag... ow.ly/31X8Fc 1 hour ago
- Photoset: micdotcom: Instagram had restricted the #SandraBland hashtag because of hate speech After her... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1qiU3Al 2 hours ago
- "Was Sandra Bland under the influence of marijuana, and did this lead to her arrest and/or suicide?..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1qiSqHc 2 hours ago