The Act and its associated amending legislation, which quickly became known as ‘the intervention’, introduced a range of racist and highly paternalistic measures to ‘prescribed areas’ of the Northern Territory, all of which were aboriginal communities. Those measures included a total ban on the possession and consumption of alcohol, compulsory income management for all welfare recipients (ration cards), compulsory installation of anti-pornography filters on all public computers as well as obligatory record-keeping of all computer users, the cutting back of the permit system for entry onto aboriginal land, the federal government takeover of local services and community stores as well as a ministerial power to suspend all elected councillors, the ban on Northern Territory courts from taking customary law into account when dealing with bail applications and sentencing, and compulsory rent-free five year leases of aboriginal land to the federal government. As an emergency piece of legislation the Act had a sunset clause of five years.
Southern Poverty Law Center
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Spooked by spike in cyber extortion, businesses are stockpiling bitcoin for payoffs
- Are leaks about Russia contacts ‘illegal,’ as Trump says? | PolitiFact
- What Michael Flynn’s communication with Russia means for national security
- الرئيس التونسي يكشف عن لقاء قريب مع حفتر | بوابة الوسط–Tunisian President reveals a close encounter with Hfter | Midfield gate
- On the US raid in Yakla and Implications from Uncertainty: How Trump’s Chaos Aggravates the War in Yemen – Diwan
- Bayrou dit son «@incompréhension » vis-à-vis des propos de Macron sur la colonisation ow.ly/QNsX509Kbi3 1 hour ago
- Standing Rock: Lakota Protectors Vow "Treaty Stand" to Resist Eviction Today | Democracy Now! ow.ly/xYwp509Kb24 1 hour ago
- 4thWorldRadyo seeks #Indigenous #Activists to comment on #NoDAPL #StandingRock #StopSabalTrail / DM @TheAngryindian (Skype/SIP/GoogleTalk) 3 hours ago
- Listen to @TheHORN w/ @BobKincaid ow.ly/nilB5 NOW --> via tunein / is.gd/zIAqsl #Appalachia #TalkRadio #p2 3 hours ago
- "Representative Ellison has discussed how important it is to create a candidate pipeline that will..." ow.ly/sXpB509JX9u 3 hours ago
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.