Narratives of Colonization, Decolonization and Recolonization in Papua – “Indonesia’s secret war,” one writer has called it. From the interior of Asia’s largest remaining rainforest, lightly-armed guerillas fight back against the army of the world’s fourth-largest country, with thousands killed in a long-running insurgency. There are no firm numbers on the death toll, but advocates of Papuan independence have pegged it at a 100,000. Papuan nationalist forces are pitted against an Indonesian army that sees itself as the guardian of a near-sacred national unity. Today the conflict has mostly shifted to the political arena, but smaller-scale violence still flares suddenly – a clash between Papuan “tribal” people and Indonesian settlers; an army helicopter reportedly sent plummeting to earth; an independence leader killed by soldiers. The conflict still endures after 40 years. Part of the problem for observers is that there are as many names as there are sides to the conflict. The colonial name was West New Guinea or Netherlands New Guinea. Indonesians demanding the colony be handed over to them called it West Irian. Then for many years it became the Indonesian province of Irian Jaya. Nationalists seeking an independent state referred to it as West Papua. In a move to conciliate rising pro-independence sentiment in 2000, the Indonesian government agreed to rename the province as Papua. Just to add confusion, the western third of the province was snipped away with questionable legality to form a new province officially called West Papua to distinguish it from the rest of the island – still called Papua.
Southern Poverty Law Center
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
- APNS/ANG RSS Feed
- ANG Tumblr Feed
- Inquiries : gmx.com + ‘apnsnews’
- Online Editor: gmx.pt + redaktoro
- Voicemail / gTalk + ‘aboriginalmediagroup’
- Skype + ‘AboriginalNewsGroup’
- VoIP + sip:email@example.com
- APNS Public Radio / IRB : RSS
- Leg ĉi tiu ĵurnalo En Esperanto
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- 4thWorldRadyo // Cognitive Freedom versus Collective Narcissism: Recognising the Difference ow.ly/Vrak30ixnpV… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 7 hours ago
- Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS-ANG) ow.ly/Bsf430ixgZY 8 hours ago
- Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS-ANG) ow.ly/IFA330ixedk 9 hours ago
- Modern AfroIndio Times | 4thWorld Issues; #Antifa.schismus Politik & Conscious Afro-Indigenismo ow.ly/dcC830ix8rZ 10 hours ago
- Modern AfroIndio Times | 4thWorld Issues; Antifa.schismus Politik & Conscious Afro-Indigenismo ow.ly/zaEU30ix8rX 10 hours ago
- In Blow to Monsanto, Arkansas Ban on Controversial Herbicide to Remain
- ‘Make America date again’: Trump dating site bans gays but welcomes adulterers and ‘Hitler’
- #Duterte bans #Rappler #reporters from presidential palace
- #Palestine / #HumanRights / #Israel
- #Turkey shells #Assad loyalists trying to cross into #Syria’s #Afrin
- Resisting US Military Bases and Pentagon Strategies in Latin America Source teleSur by James Patric Jordan
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the
Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.