Narratives of Colonization, Decolonization and Recolonization in Papua – “Indonesia’s secret war,” one writer has called it. From the interior of Asia’s largest remaining rainforest, lightly-armed guerillas fight back against the army of the world’s fourth-largest country, with thousands killed in a long-running insurgency. There are no firm numbers on the death toll, but advocates of Papuan independence have pegged it at a 100,000. Papuan nationalist forces are pitted against an Indonesian army that sees itself as the guardian of a near-sacred national unity. Today the conflict has mostly shifted to the political arena, but smaller-scale violence still flares suddenly – a clash between Papuan “tribal” people and Indonesian settlers; an army helicopter reportedly sent plummeting to earth; an independence leader killed by soldiers. The conflict still endures after 40 years. Part of the problem for observers is that there are as many names as there are sides to the conflict. The colonial name was West New Guinea or Netherlands New Guinea. Indonesians demanding the colony be handed over to them called it West Irian. Then for many years it became the Indonesian province of Irian Jaya. Nationalists seeking an independent state referred to it as West Papua. In a move to conciliate rising pro-independence sentiment in 2000, the Indonesian government agreed to rename the province as Papua. Just to add confusion, the western third of the province was snipped away with questionable legality to form a new province officially called West Papua to distinguish it from the rest of the island – still called Papua.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Mapuche: Gira de Jaime Huenchullan a Europa
- The Face of Litter: DNA taken from trash used to map features of litterbugs in Hong Kong — RT News
- County sheriff has used stingray over 300 times with no warrant | Ars Technica
- Texas police warned of new threats from biker gangs – AOL.com
- 4th World Radyo: The Hidden American Gulag: TheAngryindian Speaks with George Mallinckrodt
- Exclusive: Leaked Report Profiles Military, Police Members of Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs - The Intercept ow.ly/2Z1M1n 19 hours ago
- WGAR News: NT Intervention opened way to Aboriginal community closures: Paddy Gibson, Green Left | Indymedia Austr... ow.ly/2Z1M1o 19 hours ago
- "In the 2006 report, the FBI found that federal court determined that members of a Los Angeles..." ow.ly/2Z1KqF 20 hours ago
- FBI Says Racist Organizations Have Been Infiltrating Police Departments For Years ow.ly/2Z1I8L 20 hours ago
- "In the 2006 report, the FBI found that federal court determined that members of a Los Angeles sheriffs..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1lad3td 20 hours ago