Narratives of Colonization, Decolonization and Recolonization in Papua – “Indonesia’s secret war,” one writer has called it. From the interior of Asia’s largest remaining rainforest, lightly-armed guerillas fight back against the army of the world’s fourth-largest country, with thousands killed in a long-running insurgency. There are no firm numbers on the death toll, but advocates of Papuan independence have pegged it at a 100,000. Papuan nationalist forces are pitted against an Indonesian army that sees itself as the guardian of a near-sacred national unity. Today the conflict has mostly shifted to the political arena, but smaller-scale violence still flares suddenly – a clash between Papuan “tribal” people and Indonesian settlers; an army helicopter reportedly sent plummeting to earth; an independence leader killed by soldiers. The conflict still endures after 40 years. Part of the problem for observers is that there are as many names as there are sides to the conflict. The colonial name was West New Guinea or Netherlands New Guinea. Indonesians demanding the colony be handed over to them called it West Irian. Then for many years it became the Indonesian province of Irian Jaya. Nationalists seeking an independent state referred to it as West Papua. In a move to conciliate rising pro-independence sentiment in 2000, the Indonesian government agreed to rename the province as Papua. Just to add confusion, the western third of the province was snipped away with questionable legality to form a new province officially called West Papua to distinguish it from the rest of the island – still called Papua.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- WordPress Sites Vulnerable to Plugin-Related SQL Attacks | Threatpost | The first stop for security news
- ‘Ex-Israeli agents’ threatened cyber attack on S Africa – Al Jazeera English
- Gemalto Doesn’t Know What It Doesn’t Know – The Intercept
- Who is responsible for death threats from a Twitter bot?
- Bill O’Reilly allegedly threatens reporter amid accusations that he lied about Falklands War coverage – Americas – World – The Independent
- The Guardian: Six Former Colleagues Dispute O'Reilly's Claim He Was "Attacked By Protesters" During The L.A. Riots... ow.ly/2VdJN4 5 hours ago
- mediamattersforamerica:In the past week, Bill O’Reilly has been... ow.ly/2VdJ0X 5 hours ago
- FACTSHEET South Africa: Official crime statistics for 2012/13 - Africa Check ow.ly/JHLIk 5 hours ago
- Photoset: mediamattersforamerica: In the past week, Bill O’Reilly has been caught lying about his Falklands... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1eUZ-sS 5 hours ago
- Video: mediamattersforamerica: 50 Fox News lies in 6 seconds (click to pause). Best vine ever? via... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1eUZo-0 6 hours ago