Narratives of Colonization, Decolonization and Recolonization in Papua – “Indonesia’s secret war,” one writer has called it. From the interior of Asia’s largest remaining rainforest, lightly-armed guerillas fight back against the army of the world’s fourth-largest country, with thousands killed in a long-running insurgency. There are no firm numbers on the death toll, but advocates of Papuan independence have pegged it at a 100,000. Papuan nationalist forces are pitted against an Indonesian army that sees itself as the guardian of a near-sacred national unity. Today the conflict has mostly shifted to the political arena, but smaller-scale violence still flares suddenly – a clash between Papuan “tribal” people and Indonesian settlers; an army helicopter reportedly sent plummeting to earth; an independence leader killed by soldiers. The conflict still endures after 40 years. Part of the problem for observers is that there are as many names as there are sides to the conflict. The colonial name was West New Guinea or Netherlands New Guinea. Indonesians demanding the colony be handed over to them called it West Irian. Then for many years it became the Indonesian province of Irian Jaya. Nationalists seeking an independent state referred to it as West Papua. In a move to conciliate rising pro-independence sentiment in 2000, the Indonesian government agreed to rename the province as Papua. Just to add confusion, the western third of the province was snipped away with questionable legality to form a new province officially called West Papua to distinguish it from the rest of the island – still called Papua.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Fourth World Radyo: African Objectivity versus Black Angst: The Dilemma of Liberationist Politic
- Gay CIA Contractor Claims Dangerous Harassment in War Zone | abc13.com
- “Is this your car?”: Like Sandra Bland, I confronted an officer who pulled me over for driving while black – Salon.com
- Denver Police Tell Lies About Fatal Shooting Of Native American Paul Castaway
- 5 Craziest Cults Still Operating Today | The Strange List
- The Two Cops Who Helped Ray Tensing Were Involved in the Killing of an Unarmed Black Man in 2010 -... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1qyfbVO 50 minutes ago
- "You killed my son and now you are giving me a tree?" - An Iraqi farmer to Peter Van Buren of the US State... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1qyfVSb 50 minutes ago
- ISIS Got Catfished for $3,300 in Travel Money by Three Chechen Girls - c4ss: Things aren’t looking so good... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1qyfPBp 51 minutes ago
- Photoset: think-progress: 50 Years Later, Medicare And Medicaid Are A Smashing Success tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1qyfKRW 51 minutes ago
- Photo: fuckyeahmarxismleninism: Baltimore Via Navid Nasr tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1qyfCtc 51 minutes ago