The Portland Police Bureau has engaged in a “pattern and practice” of excessive use of force, particularly against mentally ill suspects, the U.S. Justice Department has concluded after a 14-month investigation.U.S. Attorney for Oregon Amanda Marshall announced the findings at a news conference Thursday.Marshall said the findings of the report were “grave and serious.”The report found problems with Portland Police Bureaus policies, training and supervision.Assistant U.S. Attorney General Thomas E. Perez pointed to deficiencies in Oregons statewide infrastructure for mental health. He added that it was impossible to ignore the “the tensions that exist” between police and communities of color in Portland.The federal inquiry also found that Portland police have too frequently used Taser stun guns on suspects.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Government delivered a letter of protest against the decree Obama on the US Embassy (AUDIO) | RNV – Radio Nacional de Venezuela
- Arab states should “strike” Gaza like Yemen, says advisor to Mahmoud Abbas | The Electronic Intifada
- S.F. jail inmates forced to fight, public defender says – SFGate
- Courthouse News Service – Startling Drone Pilot Revelation in DOJ Audit By ADAM KLASFELD
- How the Leaked TPP ISDS Chapter Threatens Intellectual Property Limitations and Exceptions » infojustice
- American Friends Service Committee/Atlanta: Two Christian Women Refuse Bail Until RFRA is Defeated! ow.ly/2WzHUI 13 hours ago
- American Friends Service Committee/Atlanta: Two Christian Women Refuse Bail Until RFRA is Defeated! ow.ly/2WzHUH 13 hours ago
- Judge Orders U.S. Government to Release More Than 2,000 Photos of Abuse and Torture by U.S. Military in Iraq and A... ow.ly/2WzHUG 13 hours ago
- "There has been an increasing amount of awareness around domestic violence against men in the last..." ow.ly/2WzFKd 14 hours ago
- Conservatives are now calling criticisms of Bill C-51 "conspiracy theories" | Press Progress ow.ly/2WzBvo 14 hours ago