The Portland Police Bureau has engaged in a “pattern and practice” of excessive use of force, particularly against mentally ill suspects, the U.S. Justice Department has concluded after a 14-month investigation.U.S. Attorney for Oregon Amanda Marshall announced the findings at a news conference Thursday.Marshall said the findings of the report were “grave and serious.”The report found problems with Portland Police Bureaus policies, training and supervision.Assistant U.S. Attorney General Thomas E. Perez pointed to deficiencies in Oregons statewide infrastructure for mental health. He added that it was impossible to ignore the “the tensions that exist” between police and communities of color in Portland.The federal inquiry also found that Portland police have too frequently used Taser stun guns on suspects.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- I Just Got “Push Polled” by Hillary Clinton’s Nevada Campaign – Nolan Dalla – Linkis.com
- British government will be judged on actions not rhetoric – Sheehan
- Leaked Emails Claim Snyder Administration Withheld Lead Testing Results | ThinkProgress
- Mississippi lawmaker admits his education bill is to protect creationism | Ars Technica
- Fyffes accused of disrespecting plantation workers’ rights | Business | The Guardian
- Nous ne sommes pas des #moustiques ow.ly/Ygifa #Blackface 19 hours ago
- 4thWorldRadyo: Negotiating Madness: North American Political Confusion in Black and White wp.me/p3dV9c-8h https://t.co/H33a6gIzzN 20 hours ago
- Mexico prison riot: at least 52 people killed and 12 injured in Monterrey | World news | The Guardian ow.ly/3bdDQo 1 day ago
- Tripura village committee polls on February 24 - ians-in2738-yahoopartner: Agartala, Jan 27 (IANS) Polls to 587... ow.ly/3bdyPO 1 day ago
- Congress not new to championing Dalit's rights: Digvijay - aniin2578-yahoopartner: Varanasi, Jan. 30 (ANI): The... ow.ly/3bdrYN 1 day ago