The Portland Police Bureau has engaged in a “pattern and practice” of excessive use of force, particularly against mentally ill suspects, the U.S. Justice Department has concluded after a 14-month investigation.U.S. Attorney for Oregon Amanda Marshall announced the findings at a news conference Thursday.Marshall said the findings of the report were “grave and serious.”The report found problems with Portland Police Bureaus policies, training and supervision.Assistant U.S. Attorney General Thomas E. Perez pointed to deficiencies in Oregons statewide infrastructure for mental health. He added that it was impossible to ignore the “the tensions that exist” between police and communities of color in Portland.The federal inquiry also found that Portland police have too frequently used Taser stun guns on suspects.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Virginia gunman was told by TV station to seek medical attention, memos say | US news | The Guardian
- COINTELPRO warrior Dhoruba bin Wahad attacked by New Black Panther Party – National Cointelpro | Examiner.com
- LAPD & Chicago bought “Stingrays on steroids” with asset-forfeiture & DHS money – Boing Boing
- PNAC’S HEGEMONIC AGENDA: IS SYRIA NEXT TO PAY THE PRICE?
- Majestic 12 – Wikipedia
- "Secretary of State John Kerry was quick to manage the damage. “We are grateful to Ambassador Jawad..." ow.ly/33j9Db 12 hours ago
- EU migrant crisis: 50 refugees found 'suffocated' in the back of a single lorry in Austria, reports - Europe - Wor... ow.ly/33j463 13 hours ago
- "The newborn’s father, Chavali Nagaraju Babu, today claimed that authorities at the Government..." ow.ly/33j379 13 hours ago
- "Secretary of State John Kerry was quick to manage the damage. “We are grateful to Ambassador Jawad for..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1s_5rJZ 14 hours ago
- "The newborn’s father, Chavali Nagaraju Babu, today claimed that authorities at the Government General..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1sz-Pig 14 hours ago