The Italian authorities will be urged to end systematic housing discrimination against Roma across the country on Saturday 22 September, when thousands of Amnesty International supporters across the world take part in a Global Day of Action.Activists from Bermuda to Poland, from Iceland to Mali, will demand that Italian Prime Minister, Mario Monti, acts swiftly to stop the ongoing human rights violations suffered by Roma, including forced evictions and segregation.”Back in February Mario Monti’s government promised the European Union that it would stop segregation and promote access to adequate housing for Roma. More than six months have passed and nothing has been done to fulfil such promises,” said David Diaz-Jogeix, Deputy Director of Amnesty Internationals Europe and Central Asia Programme.Published earlier this month, the Amnesty International briefing On the edge: Roma, forced evictions and segregation in Italy highlights the fact that, despite Italy’s highest administrative court ruling 10 months ago that emergency laws known as the “Nomad Emergency” were unlawful, thousands of Roma continue to suffer violations of their right to adequate housing.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Dell apologizes for preinstalling bogus root-certificate on computers / Boing Boing
- Teen who ran away to join ISIS allegedly beaten to death when she tried to leave
- Newcastle Metro passenger who was racially abused thanks her ‘Geordie angels’
- PressTV-Russia plane downing ‘planned provocation’
- Athens on edge after explosion severely damages buildings | World news | The Guardian
- (via Raeisha Williams: Police are ‘behind’ the... - (via Raeisha Williams: Police are ‘behind’ the shooting of ... ow.ly/38lcs5 30 minutes ago
- 21st Century Manifest Destiny on the U.S.-Mexico Border | NACLA ow.ly/38l64N 1 hour ago
- Anonymous recruits help to battle ISIS, posts 'how-to' guides... | kirotv.com ow.ly/38l64M 1 hour ago
- Dell apologizes for preinstalling bogus root-certificate on computers / Boing Boing ow.ly/38l45r 1 hour ago
- No More American Thanksgivings | Black Agenda Report - No More American Thanksgivings | Black Agenda Report: Th... ow.ly/38kUtO 2 hours ago