Zombie PCs also often become spammers themselves, sending out dozens of infected emails to friends, or even people you don’t know – and building the botnets even further, as their criminal masters fade into the background.‘A huge amount of malware is still spread through email attachments,’ says Orla Cox. ‘Although there’s an increase in high-tech methods such as ‘drive-by downloads’, where infected advertising banners and websites are used to spread malicious software, the ‘traditional’ way of spreading infection via spam is still hugely popular.’‘The social engineering is becoming cleverer,’ says Cox. ‘You’ll receive a fake package order, fake invoices – but when you click on the attachment, your computer becomes infected.’Up-to-date protection software and an updated operating system such as Windows will help to defend against such infections before they occur – a much easier way to stay safe than the often-lengthy process of repairing the damage after it occurs.It’s also worth noting that law enforcement won’t treat you as a criminal if you are a victim of this sort of attack. But the best defence of all is, of course, not being a victim in the first place.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- IRIN Global | EU starts to slam doors on asylum seekers | Global | Migration | Refugees/IDPs
- Pope Francis speaks out against ivory poaching in Kenya – Al Jazeera English
- NT Paperless Arrest Laws Part 1: Where They Came From, Who They Target – New Matilda
- Walmart Is Working with the FBI and Lockheed Martin to Spy on Striking Workers
- Port Fail: Vulnerability reveals real IP | Perfect Privacy
- Pro-Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey - BBC News ow.ly/38tadO 28 minutes ago
- 4thWorldRadyo: #DrBenCarson does not Speak 4 Me & Other COINTELPRO Distractions in N.America is.gd/tncaSh https://t.co/vMYnBt4a0E 44 minutes ago
- Elizabeth Fry Societies challenges decision to deny it standing at inquest - The Globe and Mail ow.ly/38s0PR 17 hours ago
- Indigenous Solidarity with #BlackLivesMatter By Matt Remle | Last Real Indians ow.ly/38rBP6 23 hours ago
- IRIN Global | EU starts to slam doors on asylum seekers | Global | Migration | Refugees/IDPs ow.ly/38rx04 1 day ago