As Mexico has aggressively militarized its “drug war” over the past years, the nation’s capital has been an exception, with authorities reluctant to send soliders to patrol the seat of federal power—until now. Over 1,000 army troops have been mobilized to the streets of Nezahualcóyotl, a suburb of Mexico City, just south of the Federal District line in México state, which has seen a dramatic increase of violence in the past weeks. The México state Prosecutor General says 119 assassinations have been registered so far this year, mostly in Nezahualcóyotl. The decision to send in army troops—under a program dubbed “Operation Neza”—was apparently sparked by the Sept. 16 stabbing death of México state lawmaker Jaime Serrano Cedillo of the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI). Although subsequent reports have indicated he was killed by his wife in a domestic dispute, Serrano was the second PRI politician killed in as many days last week. On Sept. 15, Eduardo Castro Luque, newly elected to the Sonora state legislature, was shot full of nine bullets in front of his home in Ciudad Obregón. The twin slayings came when the country was on high alert for Independence Day celebrations, with extra troops deployed to conflicted states to head off terror attacks on the festivities. The PRI, a once-entrenched political machine, returns to power after 12 years in opposition, when president-elect Enrique Peña Nieto takes office in December. (LAT, AP, Sept. 21; WSJ, El País, Spain, Sept. 20; EFE, AP, La Jornada, Sept. 15)
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Government delivered a letter of protest against the decree Obama on the US Embassy (AUDIO) | RNV – Radio Nacional de Venezuela
- Arab states should “strike” Gaza like Yemen, says advisor to Mahmoud Abbas | The Electronic Intifada
- S.F. jail inmates forced to fight, public defender says – SFGate
- Courthouse News Service – Startling Drone Pilot Revelation in DOJ Audit By ADAM KLASFELD
- How the Leaked TPP ISDS Chapter Threatens Intellectual Property Limitations and Exceptions » infojustice
- "On November 9, 2005 the Italian state-run broadcaster Radiotelevisione Italiana S.p.A. aired a..." ow.ly/2WBIH3 11 hours ago
- "On November 9, 2005 the Italian state-run broadcaster Radiotelevisione Italiana S.p.A. aired a..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1g-F1CM 12 hours ago
- Video: (via Fallujah:” The Hidden Massacre” Documentary-Iraq War - YouTube) — Graphic Images! ***NO MORE... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1g-CRfC 12 hours ago
- Perry Ray Robinson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Perry Ray Robinson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: In ... ow.ly/2WBFPD 12 hours ago
- "Her level of empathy is remarkable but not particularly surprising. Black girls learn almost from..." ow.ly/2WBwW0 14 hours ago