As Mexico has aggressively militarized its “drug war” over the past years, the nation’s capital has been an exception, with authorities reluctant to send soliders to patrol the seat of federal power—until now. Over 1,000 army troops have been mobilized to the streets of Nezahualcóyotl, a suburb of Mexico City, just south of the Federal District line in México state, which has seen a dramatic increase of violence in the past weeks. The México state Prosecutor General says 119 assassinations have been registered so far this year, mostly in Nezahualcóyotl. The decision to send in army troops—under a program dubbed “Operation Neza”—was apparently sparked by the Sept. 16 stabbing death of México state lawmaker Jaime Serrano Cedillo of the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI). Although subsequent reports have indicated he was killed by his wife in a domestic dispute, Serrano was the second PRI politician killed in as many days last week. On Sept. 15, Eduardo Castro Luque, newly elected to the Sonora state legislature, was shot full of nine bullets in front of his home in Ciudad Obregón. The twin slayings came when the country was on high alert for Independence Day celebrations, with extra troops deployed to conflicted states to head off terror attacks on the festivities. The PRI, a once-entrenched political machine, returns to power after 12 years in opposition, when president-elect Enrique Peña Nieto takes office in December. (LAT, AP, Sept. 21; WSJ, El País, Spain, Sept. 20; EFE, AP, La Jornada, Sept. 15)
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Meet the Elite U.S.-Trained Special Forces Chief Who Just Joined ISIS
- What Americans think about NSA surveillance, national security and privacy | Pew Research Center
- Israel bombs Gaza; Amnesty accuses Hamas | World War 4 Report
- Chiapas: The Network for Peace asks to attend the dislaced people of Primero de Agosto
- Stoltenberg: NATO To Defend All European States
- "The American program in which Khalimov participated is designed to teach tactics used by police and..." ow.ly/2ZfJ69 6 hours ago
- The U.S.-trained commander of Tajikistan’s special forces has joined the Islamic State - The Washington Post ow.ly/2ZfJ3D 6 hours ago
- Fox & Friends Doesn't See Any Problem With Statue That Displays Native Americans Kneeling To White Missionary | Bl... ow.ly/2ZfJ3C 6 hours ago
- "The American program in which Khalimov participated is designed to teach tactics used by police and..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1l_f4U4 7 hours ago
- A City Where Everyone Works, There Is No Police, And The Salary Is 1200 Euros | Peaceful Warriors ow.ly/2ZfH4q 7 hours ago