As Mexico has aggressively militarized its “drug war” over the past years, the nation’s capital has been an exception, with authorities reluctant to send soliders to patrol the seat of federal power—until now. Over 1,000 army troops have been mobilized to the streets of Nezahualcóyotl, a suburb of Mexico City, just south of the Federal District line in México state, which has seen a dramatic increase of violence in the past weeks. The México state Prosecutor General says 119 assassinations have been registered so far this year, mostly in Nezahualcóyotl. The decision to send in army troops—under a program dubbed “Operation Neza”—was apparently sparked by the Sept. 16 stabbing death of México state lawmaker Jaime Serrano Cedillo of the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI). Although subsequent reports have indicated he was killed by his wife in a domestic dispute, Serrano was the second PRI politician killed in as many days last week. On Sept. 15, Eduardo Castro Luque, newly elected to the Sonora state legislature, was shot full of nine bullets in front of his home in Ciudad Obregón. The twin slayings came when the country was on high alert for Independence Day celebrations, with extra troops deployed to conflicted states to head off terror attacks on the festivities. The PRI, a once-entrenched political machine, returns to power after 12 years in opposition, when president-elect Enrique Peña Nieto takes office in December. (LAT, AP, Sept. 21; WSJ, El País, Spain, Sept. 20; EFE, AP, La Jornada, Sept. 15)
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- People’s movement and another SFPD murder force Greg Suhr to… — FIRST NATIONS
- PressTV-‘Israel seeks extermination of Palestinians’
- Obama’s Foreign Policy? “Kill ’em all.” — Political Film Blog
- #Mapuche Resistance Group, Weichan Auka Mapu, Claims more than 30 Sabotage Attacks | Warrior Publications
- Haisla Nation in tough waiting game as LNG delayed — Warrior Publications
- Pinochet directly ordered killing on US soil of Chilean diplomat, papers reveal ow.ly/Ua5a500Ogm3 6 hours ago
- Pinochet directly ordered killing on US soil of Chilean diplomat, papers reveal | World news | The Guardian ow.ly/aUBS300HGSd 6 hours ago
- Sick, locked up and 'told to make a will' - Sick, locked up and 'told to make a will' ow.ly/rzc1500OcuM 6 hours ago
- Turkish Armed Forces Commit Another Massacre in Roboski - KurdishQuestion.com ow.ly/xfHV500ObVU 7 hours ago
- Indigenous distrust of police persists - Toward Reconciliation ow.ly/PjOZ500ObVW 7 hours ago
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.