President Francois Hollande denounced Le Pen’s comments, saying, according to AFP, “Everything that tears people apart, opposes them and divides them is inappropriate, and we must apply the rules, the only rules that we know, the rules of the Republic and secularism.” Jean-Francois Cope, who leads the right-wing UMP party of former president Nicolas Sarkozy, said Le Pen showed little understanding of France’s much-vaunted secular traditions. “Marine Le Pen wants to ban any signs of religion on the street, starting with the veil and the kippah,” AFP quoted him as having said. “By doing this, she shows she understands nothing of secularism. Secularism is not the eradication of all religious expressions in society.”
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Wikimedia v. NSA: Standing and the Fight for Free Speech and Privacy | Just Security
- SCLC director calls on black families to arm themselves | www.ajc.com
- Iran-backed rebels loot Yemen files about U.S. spy operations – LA Times
- Palestinians prepared to trigger case as they join ICC | Egypt Independent
- Mumia Abu-Jamal Moved from Prison to Intensive Care, Supporters Seek Access and Answers | Democracy Now!
- "Texas Republicans voted to divert funds from an HIV screening program into abstinence education..." ow.ly/2WO5um 6 hours ago
- ISIS seizes most of Yarmouk refugee camp in Damascus: PLO | News , Middle East | THE DAILY STAR ow.ly/2WO261 7 hours ago
- "Texas Republicans voted to divert funds from an HIV screening program into abstinence education..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1hLY-ej 7 hours ago
- Morning Star :: British politicians back Maduro’s Venezuela - Morning Star :: British politicians back Maduro’s Ve... ow.ly/2WNIoF 8 hours ago
- "She says it’s hate speech and must be investigated. "Completely horrendous. Like to say..." ow.ly/2WNE3v 9 hours ago