President Francois Hollande denounced Le Pen’s comments, saying, according to AFP, “Everything that tears people apart, opposes them and divides them is inappropriate, and we must apply the rules, the only rules that we know, the rules of the Republic and secularism.” Jean-Francois Cope, who leads the right-wing UMP party of former president Nicolas Sarkozy, said Le Pen showed little understanding of France’s much-vaunted secular traditions. “Marine Le Pen wants to ban any signs of religion on the street, starting with the veil and the kippah,” AFP quoted him as having said. “By doing this, she shows she understands nothing of secularism. Secularism is not the eradication of all religious expressions in society.”
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- THE GREAT EUROPEAN EXPERIMENT FALLS APART
- NASCAR tells fans not to bring Confederate flags to races
- British artists against TTIP trade deal
- United States arms profits first, Bahraini human rights a poor second
- National/Guerrero: Nine months after the Ayotzinapa atrocity, relatives express that they will not be silenced
- "…Fellow-citizens, pardon me, allow me to ask, why am I called upon to speak here to-day? What..." ow.ly/30X1gq 4 hours ago
- Eagle Feather News - Eagle Feather News: Business, Missing People, News And the Indigenous Newsmaker of the Year g... ow.ly/30WXaz 5 hours ago
- "…Fellow-citizens, pardon me, allow me to ask, why am I called upon to speak here to-day? What have I,..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1onkT_v 5 hours ago
- Video shows a New York City cop fighting a suspect before he is... ow.ly/30Wyxa 10 hours ago
- Why Realness Fails Us in Native Studies | against a politics of disposability ow.ly/30Wyg4 10 hours ago