According to Globo, Google executive Fabio José Silva Coelho has been arrested by federal police in Brazil, after the company refused a judge’s order to remove a controversial political video from YouTube. Judge Flavio Peren ordered Coelho’s arrest for violating Brazil’s election laws, which prohibits attack ads that defame candidates in the lead-up to an election. As Reuters reports, a Google spokesperson says that the company is appealing the decision “because, as a platform, Google is not responsible for the content posted to its site.” We are still waiting for Google to respond to our own inquiry about the arrest, but the company has made similar arguments in the past when confronted with local interpretations of free speech.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Fourth World Radyo: African Objectivity versus Black Angst: The Dilemma of Liberationist Politic
- Gay CIA Contractor Claims Dangerous Harassment in War Zone | abc13.com
- “Is this your car?”: Like Sandra Bland, I confronted an officer who pulled me over for driving while black – Salon.com
- Denver Police Tell Lies About Fatal Shooting Of Native American Paul Castaway
- 5 Craziest Cults Still Operating Today | The Strange List
- We know the victims, but not the killers: More transparency needed when Ontario police kill | Metro ow.ly/31ZW7f 6 hours ago
- APNS Novaĵagentejo - The Indigenist Newswire ow.ly/Qg7AA 7 hours ago
- APNS Public Radyo | Indigenist Media for Intelligent Aboriginals ow.ly/Qg74d 7 hours ago
- Norman G. Finkelstein: Has Amnesty International Lost Its Way? (Part 4) ow.ly/31Zn80 12 hours ago
- How the Flag Came Down | The Aspen Journal of Ideas - How the Flag Came Down | The Aspen Journal of Ideas: During ... ow.ly/31Zghm 13 hours ago