According to Globo, Google executive Fabio José Silva Coelho has been arrested by federal police in Brazil, after the company refused a judge’s order to remove a controversial political video from YouTube. Judge Flavio Peren ordered Coelho’s arrest for violating Brazil’s election laws, which prohibits attack ads that defame candidates in the lead-up to an election. As Reuters reports, a Google spokesperson says that the company is appealing the decision “because, as a platform, Google is not responsible for the content posted to its site.” We are still waiting for Google to respond to our own inquiry about the arrest, but the company has made similar arguments in the past when confronted with local interpretations of free speech.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- IS offensive running out of steam after rebel-regime victories
- Bolivian-Venezuelan Military construction team begins work on TIPNIS highway
- New Paramilitary Attack in the Caracol of Resistance towards a New Dawn, La Garrucha
- Ninth Circuit (Largely) Rejects Alaska Eskimo Whaling Commission Challenge to Oil & Gas Exploration Permits
- Cybersquatters giving some US presidential candidates a bad name
- Human Rights - Free West Papua ow.ly/P1jqJ 1 hour ago
- 10 Most Censored Countries - Committee to Protect Journalists ow.ly/30MWts 2 hours ago
- Published on Jun 29, 2015 A Federal Heights police officer was... ow.ly/30MHr2 4 hours ago
- DOJ: Ferguson Police 'Violated' Free Speech Rights - DOJ: Ferguson Police 'Violated' Free Speech Rights: [readersu... ow.ly/30MFGL 4 hours ago
- Cuba becomes first nation ever to eradicate mother-to-baby HIV transmission ow.ly/30MFGM 4 hours ago