According to Globo, Google executive Fabio José Silva Coelho has been arrested by federal police in Brazil, after the company refused a judge’s order to remove a controversial political video from YouTube. Judge Flavio Peren ordered Coelho’s arrest for violating Brazil’s election laws, which prohibits attack ads that defame candidates in the lead-up to an election. As Reuters reports, a Google spokesperson says that the company is appealing the decision “because, as a platform, Google is not responsible for the content posted to its site.” We are still waiting for Google to respond to our own inquiry about the arrest, but the company has made similar arguments in the past when confronted with local interpretations of free speech.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- The Justice Department also says Ferguson police tolerated sexual harassment of female officers – The Washington Post
- S. African Government Will Investigate Allegations… – Matthew Aid
- Seeing the Stasi Through NSA Eyes | Consortiumnews
- New Zealand Spies on Neighbors in Secret ‘Five Eyes’ Global Surveillance – The Intercept
- Support Mexico’s People – Not Its Authoritarian And Violent Government
- Support Mexico’s People – Not Its Authoritarian And Violent Government | dorset chiapas solidarity ow.ly/2VxUa3 5 hours ago
- The Angry Arab News Service/وكالة أنباء العربي الغاضب: Nicholas Kristof saves the World ow.ly/2VxUa2 5 hours ago
- "The commonwealth will give $25,000 each “to individuals who were involuntarily sterilized pursuant to..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1f6iHE3 5 hours ago
- "Furthermore, before taking poverty into consideration, the peak age for homicide deaths is 19 years..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1f6i33G 5 hours ago
- "A hot pink letter apparently mailed by pro-choice activists was delivered to the office of Rep. Jeff..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1f6hlJR 5 hours ago