Some days before the crackdown on “illegal gatherings” and weapons in Marikana during the strike last month, colleagues and I watched wave after wave of striking mine workers, resolute in their demands and jubilant in their songs that eulogised the man in the green blanket, Amabubhesi. The town had been brought to a standstill as strikers marched back from one of Lonmin’s shafts to Wonderkop. As group after group passed through the town under the watchful eyes of a hefty police contingent, a colleague pointed out that the march was actually an illegal gathering. “If the police really wanted to, they could just arrest all these guys for illegal protests,” he volunteered.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Stoltenberg: NATO To Defend All European States
- Longtime Prisoner Leonard Peltier Gets New Ally, His Son, In Fight For Freedom (Photos)
- DEMAND ADEQUATE MEDICAL CARE FOR POLITIkAL PRISONER ROBERT SETH HAYEZ!
- Newspaper That Printed Letter Calling For Obama’s Execution: Oops!
- Volume 4, Issue 1 has been published!
- Video: (via ▶ Shocking Video: Texas Soldier Dies After Telling Jail Guards He Couldn’t Breathe 20 Times -... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1lv_AT3 34 minutes ago
- Texas SWAT Attacks 81-Year-Old Man, Breaks His Hip, Denies Him Medical Assistance ow.ly/2Zd8k7 52 minutes ago
- "Hiwa-hiwalay na software o proyekto ang bumubuo sa operating system (OS) na GNU/Linux. Libu-libong..." ow.ly/2ZcXdz 3 hours ago
- Rohingya Blogger: Rohingya exodus: Tales of suffering and misery ow.ly/2ZcVUl 3 hours ago
- Israel’s president calls BDS a ‘strategic threat’ | 972 Magazine ow.ly/2ZcFZs 4 hours ago