Some days before the crackdown on “illegal gatherings” and weapons in Marikana during the strike last month, colleagues and I watched wave after wave of striking mine workers, resolute in their demands and jubilant in their songs that eulogised the man in the green blanket, Amabubhesi. The town had been brought to a standstill as strikers marched back from one of Lonmin’s shafts to Wonderkop. As group after group passed through the town under the watchful eyes of a hefty police contingent, a colleague pointed out that the march was actually an illegal gathering. “If the police really wanted to, they could just arrest all these guys for illegal protests,” he volunteered.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Greek neo-Nazi lawmaker who punched female MP acquitted | GlobalPost
- You’re always shedding DNA, and now the police can use it as evidence | The Verge
- PressTV-‘Michael Brown’s family to file suit’
- Virginia’s forced sterilization victims each to get $25k restitution payments for eugenics program — RT USA
- Canadian jailed for refusing to unlock his phone at the airport
- 4thWorldRadyo: 'American Sniper & American Exceptionalism' featuring @MichaelBucher single: #NotAMascot is.gd/zBl8qx & @bobkincaid 15 minutes ago
- The Mismeasures Of Revisionist #Afrocentrism ow.ly/K2cFg #AntiFa #Fascism #Propaganda #Conservatives #FarRight 1 hour ago
- "Thousands of people are expected to travel to Selma, Alabama, this weekend for the 50th anniversary..." ow.ly/2VBkd7 1 hour ago
- Eurozine - Privacy as a human right - Peter Schaar Edward Snowden and the control of power ow.ly/2VBiYS 1 hour ago
- #MustRead ow.ly/K22h6 2 hours ago