Some days before the crackdown on “illegal gatherings” and weapons in Marikana during the strike last month, colleagues and I watched wave after wave of striking mine workers, resolute in their demands and jubilant in their songs that eulogised the man in the green blanket, Amabubhesi. The town had been brought to a standstill as strikers marched back from one of Lonmin’s shafts to Wonderkop. As group after group passed through the town under the watchful eyes of a hefty police contingent, a colleague pointed out that the march was actually an illegal gathering. “If the police really wanted to, they could just arrest all these guys for illegal protests,” he volunteered.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- A weeping sore
- Pueblo indígena desafía jurídicamente a Peña Nieto ante máximo tribunal del país | Centro de Derechos Humanos Zeferino Ladrillero
- PressTV-‘US sends more arms to militants in Syria’
- HuffPo: Basic Gun Violence Research Is Seriously Underfunded
- Texas councilman tasered outside home says he was rehearsing dance routine – video | US news | The Guardian
- UK Muslims ‘most likely’ to be victims of hate crime - UK Muslims ‘most likely’ to be victims of hate crime: [www.... ow.ly/35toN0 34 minutes ago
- "The firms included Platte River Networks, a Denver-based firm that hosted her server; SECNAP, which..." ow.ly/35tov1 34 minutes ago
- "The officers - including one from an armed unit which guards Parliament and politicians - were fired..." ow.ly/35teUd 1 hour ago
- Indigenous Peoples and nations Consultation on Climate change 2015 - iitc.org ow.ly/TmloG 1 hour ago
- Israelis killed in Jerusalem bus stabbing and car ramming | World news | The Guardian ow.ly/35tdHS 1 hour ago