2/10/2012- The OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media, Dunja Mijatoviæ, commended today the decision by the Verkhovna Rada (the parliament) of Ukraine to reject re-criminalization of defamation. “I welcome the fact that Ukrainian legislators took note of the concerns of civil society and the media community and decided not to adopt the amendment to re-establish criminal liability for defamation,” said Mijatoviæ. In September, Mijatoviæ expressed her concern over the adoption by the Rada in the first reading of the draft law reintroducing criminal liability for libel. She said this draft legislation, if adopted, would be a serious setback for media freedom. “I have always urged OSCE participating States to decriminalize defamation and protect journalists from criminal prosecution.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Fourth World Radyo: African Objectivity versus Black Angst: The Dilemma of Liberationist Politic
- Gay CIA Contractor Claims Dangerous Harassment in War Zone | abc13.com
- “Is this your car?”: Like Sandra Bland, I confronted an officer who pulled me over for driving while black – Salon.com
- Denver Police Tell Lies About Fatal Shooting Of Native American Paul Castaway
- 5 Craziest Cults Still Operating Today | The Strange List
- We know the victims, but not the killers: More transparency needed when Ontario police kill | Metro ow.ly/31ZW7f 16 hours ago
- APNS Novaĵagentejo - The Indigenist Newswire ow.ly/Qg7AA 17 hours ago
- APNS Public Radyo | Indigenist Media for Intelligent Aboriginals ow.ly/Qg74d 17 hours ago
- Norman G. Finkelstein: Has Amnesty International Lost Its Way? (Part 4) ow.ly/31Zn80 22 hours ago
- How the Flag Came Down | The Aspen Journal of Ideas - How the Flag Came Down | The Aspen Journal of Ideas: During ... ow.ly/31Zghm 23 hours ago