The federal prosecutors on the case chose interesting language in their pleas for a lengthy sentence. Equating adherence to a state law with which they disagree to shameless exploitation speaks volumes about the legal wrangling in which the prosecutors are engaging. The fact that the defendants were operating lawfully under the Michigan medical marijuana statute is completely removed from the equation. In almost all of these cases, jurors are prohibited from hearing any testimony regarding the laws of the state. The defense may not raise the issue because, in short, the state laws are not a valid defense upon which the accused can rebut the federal charges. That the accused believed they were in full compliance with state law and unaware of a conflict with federal drug statutes is of no moment. All the jurors are permitted to hear is the various ways the defendant violated federal law. The accused’s strict adherence to the state’s medical marijuana law is deceptively omitted from the proceedings.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- “Is this your car?”: Like Sandra Bland, I confronted an officer who pulled me over for driving while black – Salon.com
- Denver Police Tell Lies About Fatal Shooting Of Native American Paul Castaway
- 5 Craziest Cults Still Operating Today | The Strange List
- Demand The US Justice Dept Do The Right Thing Philly August 1st | Moorbey’z Blog
- Press Release: Arizona Congressman Paul Gosar Orders Apache Stronghold Visitors Removed by Capitol Police, Threatens Grandmothers With Arrest
- "On Saturday morning, a Conyers Police Officer traveling north on Ga. Highway 138 near Starbucks,..." ow.ly/31WDKb 59 minutes ago
- Dash cam records Medford detective threatening, yelling at driver | Local News - WCVB Home ow.ly/31WDhK 59 minutes ago
- "On Saturday morning, a Conyers Police Officer traveling north on Ga. Highway 138 near Starbucks,..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1qhGi25 1 hour ago
- "City Manager Harry Black also spoke about the unreleased body camera video of the..." ow.ly/31WwPy 1 hour ago
- "City Manager Harry Black also spoke about the unreleased body camera video of the shooting. “It’s not..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1qhFdpX 2 hours ago