The federal prosecutors on the case chose interesting language in their pleas for a lengthy sentence. Equating adherence to a state law with which they disagree to shameless exploitation speaks volumes about the legal wrangling in which the prosecutors are engaging. The fact that the defendants were operating lawfully under the Michigan medical marijuana statute is completely removed from the equation. In almost all of these cases, jurors are prohibited from hearing any testimony regarding the laws of the state. The defense may not raise the issue because, in short, the state laws are not a valid defense upon which the accused can rebut the federal charges. That the accused believed they were in full compliance with state law and unaware of a conflict with federal drug statutes is of no moment. All the jurors are permitted to hear is the various ways the defendant violated federal law. The accused’s strict adherence to the state’s medical marijuana law is deceptively omitted from the proceedings.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Courthouse News Service – Startling Drone Pilot Revelation in DOJ Audit By ADAM KLASFELD
- How the Leaked TPP ISDS Chapter Threatens Intellectual Property Limitations and Exceptions » infojustice
- Cancer the Secret Weapon?
- Lost in the ’50s with Harper’s anti-terror pablum | rabble.ca
- Secret Service Destroys Tapes of Drunken Crash — NYMag
- "These results, though, suggest “losers are the ones who get the brunt of the aggression,” he..." ow.ly/2WwN62 18 hours ago
- Amir Raisolsadat, PEI Man, Arrested, Ordered To Keep The Peace On Suspicion He May Commit Terrorism ow.ly/2WwJWB 18 hours ago
- Claims of GMO Yield Increases Don’t Hold Up | Environmental Working Group ow.ly/2WwJWC 18 hours ago
- "These results, though, suggest “losers are the ones who get the brunt of the aggression,” he said...." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1gqsGFU 18 hours ago
- "The placement of Native Americans in food deserts didn’t occur by happenstance. Public health..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1gqrCrQ 18 hours ago