The federal prosecutors on the case chose interesting language in their pleas for a lengthy sentence. Equating adherence to a state law with which they disagree to shameless exploitation speaks volumes about the legal wrangling in which the prosecutors are engaging. The fact that the defendants were operating lawfully under the Michigan medical marijuana statute is completely removed from the equation. In almost all of these cases, jurors are prohibited from hearing any testimony regarding the laws of the state. The defense may not raise the issue because, in short, the state laws are not a valid defense upon which the accused can rebut the federal charges. That the accused believed they were in full compliance with state law and unaware of a conflict with federal drug statutes is of no moment. All the jurors are permitted to hear is the various ways the defendant violated federal law. The accused’s strict adherence to the state’s medical marijuana law is deceptively omitted from the proceedings.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Anti-gay crusader had 250-page FBI file | TheHill
- On the blacklist: how did the UK’s top building firms get secret information on their workers? | UK news | The Guardian
- WordPress Sites Vulnerable to Plugin-Related SQL Attacks | Threatpost | The first stop for security news
- ‘Ex-Israeli agents’ threatened cyber attack on S Africa – Al Jazeera English
- Gemalto Doesn’t Know What It Doesn’t Know – The Intercept
- Centering the voices of people who trade or sell sex in indigenous anti-violence organizing: Statement from... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1efqLeC 25 minutes ago
- "”Jag kan inte stå för att hon möter en oliktänkande med ett tillhygge”, säger Eva Johansson,..." ow.ly/2Vi4Mj 2 hours ago
- Oil Spill: Syndicates Defraud Communities As Shell Remains Adamant On Payout | Sahara Reporters ow.ly/2Vi3G2 2 hours ago
- Växjö says final no to handbag statue - Radio Sweden | Sveriges Radio ow.ly/2VhZbA 3 hours ago
- Catching history on the wing | Institute of Race Relations - Catching history on the wing | Institute of Race Rela... ow.ly/2VhZbB 3 hours ago