ASIAN HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSION – URGENT APPEALS PROGRAMMEUrgent Appeal Case: AHRC-UAC-185-2012The Asian Human Rights Commission AHRC has received the information regarding the arbitrary arrest of five Papuan activists in Jayapura, Papua on 12 October 2012. The five activists were arrested on the allegation of involvement in importing or distributing explosive materials. The police did not have any evidence to arrest and detain them and they were later released. The police, however, copied several documents belonging to the activists related to their political movement.CASE NARRATIVE:According to the information we obtained from Yasons Sambom himself, he and his friends Denny Hisage, Anike Kogoya, Feliks Bahabol and Linus Bahabol were on their way to Nabire by the Lapobar ship when the police arrested them at around 9.20pm. They were initially put under the custody of the Sea Harbour Security Execution Unit KP3 Laut Jayapura before being moved to the Papua Regional Police Station at around 11-12pm for interrogation. The interrogation of some of the activists started at 1am on the next day and lasted until 4am whereas the remainder were questioned from 2.30am until 6am. It is not until 11 on 13 October 2012 that the five activists were released. None of the activists were given the opportunity to contact any legal counsel to accompany them during the questioning
Southern Poverty Law Center
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Leonard Peltier Health Crisis — ashiftinconsciousness
- PNG Opposition opposes Coal Mining proposal — Papua New Guinea Mine Watch
- Boris Johnson denies Saudi bombing massacres in Yemen breach international law — Follow The Money
- president-elect tweet shaming startles corporate America- By BEN WHITE and LORRAINE WOELLERT 12/06/16 05:42 PM EST — Just Sayin’
- Malaysian illegal logger and politician repays O’Neill for keeping SABL with 8 new town houses valued AT K1 million each — PNGexposed Blog
- PNG Opposition opposes Coal Mining proposal — Papua New Guinea... ow.ly/EUMB507jCAv 28 minutes ago
- Chinese media calls Donald Trump a diplomatic rookie, warns him against provoking China ow.ly/FliB507juEx 1 hour ago
- Qatar: Independent News Website Blocked | Humanitarian News - Qatar: Independent News Website Blocked | Humanit... ow.ly/LyKS507idlZ 12 hours ago
- Boris Johnson denies Saudi bombing massacres in Yemen breach... ow.ly/aOqE507i982 13 hours ago
- wagingnonviolence.org: Standing Rock celebrates victory while pondering the struggle ahead ow.ly/V9y7507i4zv 14 hours ago
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.