By Sue Reid In Athens — 18/10/2012- Dressed in black shirts with faces hidden by helmets, ten men on motorbikes came to find him on a Saturday, after darkness fell. Finding the door bolted at his home in a pot-holed Athens side street, they smashed the windows, broke in and trashed the place. Then, their dirty work done, the neo-Nazi gang roared away into the hot evening. It had taken less than a minute for them to sound an ugly warning that foreigners were not welcome in Greece. Their target was Imam Shahbaz Siddiqi, a 42-year-old spiritual leader of the Greek capital’s 500,000 Muslims. ‘I was at the mosque praying when they searched for me the other night,’ he told me yesterday. ‘I thank God for that, or else I might now be dead. ‘During the night I went three times to the police station to report the break-in. At the desk I was told that the officers did not have time to investigate my complaint. They were too busy. There is one law for the Greek people and another for us immigrants.’ The attack on Imam Siddiqi is the latest racist outrage by neo-Nazis in a country riddled with xenophobia. In an era of crushing debt and poverty, the immigrant is blamed for almost every Greek ill.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Globes English – German dept store stops selling Israeli products
- A NATO Country Shot Down a Russian Bomber: It’s Time to Start Paying Attention – disinformation
- IRIN Global | EU starts to slam doors on asylum seekers | Global | Migration | Refugees/IDPs
- Pope Francis speaks out against ivory poaching in Kenya – Al Jazeera English
- NT Paperless Arrest Laws Part 1: Where They Came From, Who They Target – New Matilda
- Abortion opponents defend their movement after Colorado shooting | MSNBC ow.ly/38wJdl 3 hours ago
- Uncivil dialogue: Commenting and stories about indigenous people - Editor's Blog ow.ly/38wJdm 3 hours ago
- Azerbaijan: Appeal dismissed: Investigative journalist Khadija Ismayilova to remain in jail for 7.5 years - Wor... ow.ly/38wBtE 5 hours ago
- Climate Change Monitoring and Information Network - Climate Change Monitoring and Information Network: It is no... ow.ly/38w9yQ 9 hours ago
- 4thWorldRadyo: In Conversation with AfroAmerican US #HipHop artist #Phenomenon @mauriongates ow.ly/VeNXb https://t.co/WZtw41po67 11 hours ago