By Sue Reid In Athens — 18/10/2012- Dressed in black shirts with faces hidden by helmets, ten men on motorbikes came to find him on a Saturday, after darkness fell. Finding the door bolted at his home in a pot-holed Athens side street, they smashed the windows, broke in and trashed the place. Then, their dirty work done, the neo-Nazi gang roared away into the hot evening. It had taken less than a minute for them to sound an ugly warning that foreigners were not welcome in Greece. Their target was Imam Shahbaz Siddiqi, a 42-year-old spiritual leader of the Greek capital’s 500,000 Muslims. ‘I was at the mosque praying when they searched for me the other night,’ he told me yesterday. ‘I thank God for that, or else I might now be dead. ‘During the night I went three times to the police station to report the break-in. At the desk I was told that the officers did not have time to investigate my complaint. They were too busy. There is one law for the Greek people and another for us immigrants.’ The attack on Imam Siddiqi is the latest racist outrage by neo-Nazis in a country riddled with xenophobia. In an era of crushing debt and poverty, the immigrant is blamed for almost every Greek ill.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Mbeki to African leaders: Invest in ICT infrastructure to solve local challenges – Vanguard News
- Private police carry guns and make arrests, and their ranks are swelling – The Washington Post
- Man indicted for fatal beating of transgendered woman – NY Daily News
- David Petraeus To Plead Guilty To Leaking Classified Information – BuzzFeed News
- Hispanics more likely than whites to say global warming is caused by humans | Pew Research Center
- Indisputable proof that prosecutors and politicians are penalized when they hold police accountable ow.ly/2Vu7AZ 5 hours ago
- "These militant groups fully exploit the tools and techniques on offer to them: Be it Boko Haram..." ow.ly/2Vtvts 9 hours ago
- In 30 mins: 4thWorldRadyo Call-In via Skype: 'aboriginalnewsgroup' / Tell the #4thWorld what U think abt #FergusonReport #DarrenWilson #MMIW 10 hours ago
- "These militant groups fully exploit the tools and techniques on offer to them: Be it Boko Haram..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1e_Rfb3 10 hours ago
- DOJ: Ferguson PD engaged in racially biased policing - DOJ: Ferguson PD engaged in racially biased policing: Afric... ow.ly/2VtaOd 11 hours ago