By Sue Reid In Athens — 18/10/2012- Dressed in black shirts with faces hidden by helmets, ten men on motorbikes came to find him on a Saturday, after darkness fell. Finding the door bolted at his home in a pot-holed Athens side street, they smashed the windows, broke in and trashed the place. Then, their dirty work done, the neo-Nazi gang roared away into the hot evening. It had taken less than a minute for them to sound an ugly warning that foreigners were not welcome in Greece. Their target was Imam Shahbaz Siddiqi, a 42-year-old spiritual leader of the Greek capital’s 500,000 Muslims. ‘I was at the mosque praying when they searched for me the other night,’ he told me yesterday. ‘I thank God for that, or else I might now be dead. ‘During the night I went three times to the police station to report the break-in. At the desk I was told that the officers did not have time to investigate my complaint. They were too busy. There is one law for the Greek people and another for us immigrants.’ The attack on Imam Siddiqi is the latest racist outrage by neo-Nazis in a country riddled with xenophobia. In an era of crushing debt and poverty, the immigrant is blamed for almost every Greek ill.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- “Is this your car?”: Like Sandra Bland, I confronted an officer who pulled me over for driving while black – Salon.com
- Denver Police Tell Lies About Fatal Shooting Of Native American Paul Castaway
- 5 Craziest Cults Still Operating Today | The Strange List
- Demand The US Justice Dept Do The Right Thing Philly August 1st | Moorbey’z Blog
- Press Release: Arizona Congressman Paul Gosar Orders Apache Stronghold Visitors Removed by Capitol Police, Threatens Grandmothers With Arrest
- "Was Sandra Bland under the influence of marijuana, and did this lead to her arrest and/or suicide?..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1qiSqHc 6 minutes ago
- 4thWorldRadyo seeks #Choctaw guests 2 discuss #RexdaleHenry & #Lakota 2 speak on #PaulCastaway Skype [aboriginalnewsgroup] Serious Only Pls 51 minutes ago
- [Modern Times] | 4th World Issues, International Politics & Conscious Afro-Indigenismo ow.ly/QcO0i 1 hour ago
- "On Saturday morning, a Conyers Police Officer traveling north on Ga. Highway 138 near Starbucks,..." ow.ly/31WDKb 3 hours ago
- Dash cam records Medford detective threatening, yelling at driver | Local News - WCVB Home ow.ly/31WDhK 3 hours ago