By Sue Reid In Athens — 18/10/2012- Dressed in black shirts with faces hidden by helmets, ten men on motorbikes came to find him on a Saturday, after darkness fell. Finding the door bolted at his home in a pot-holed Athens side street, they smashed the windows, broke in and trashed the place. Then, their dirty work done, the neo-Nazi gang roared away into the hot evening. It had taken less than a minute for them to sound an ugly warning that foreigners were not welcome in Greece. Their target was Imam Shahbaz Siddiqi, a 42-year-old spiritual leader of the Greek capital’s 500,000 Muslims. ‘I was at the mosque praying when they searched for me the other night,’ he told me yesterday. ‘I thank God for that, or else I might now be dead. ‘During the night I went three times to the police station to report the break-in. At the desk I was told that the officers did not have time to investigate my complaint. They were too busy. There is one law for the Greek people and another for us immigrants.’ The attack on Imam Siddiqi is the latest racist outrage by neo-Nazis in a country riddled with xenophobia. In an era of crushing debt and poverty, the immigrant is blamed for almost every Greek ill.
Southern Poverty Law Center
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Undercover police work revealed by phone blunder – BBC News
- Trump ‘cyber tsar’ Giuliani among swathes of hacked top appointees
- German vice chancellor condemns populist’s #Holocaust remarks
- SEAL Team 6 Responds to The Intercept’s Investigation of Its War Crimes
- Decades later, Grassy Narrows First Nation waits for solution to mercury poisoning CBC News, January 18, 2017
- Gambia: Adama Barrow to take oath in Senegal | The Gambia News | Al Jazeera ow.ly/ndsQ508K7kJ 1 hour ago
- Activists Call on Obama to Pardon Leonard Peltier, Warning He'll Die in Prison Otherwise ow.ly/SGrB508K6kf 1 hour ago
- #LeonardPeltier Denied #Clemency by Obama | Democracy Now! ow.ly/cTil3089KSF https://t.co/IO0rAmiTIM 2 hours ago
- Leonard Peltier Denied Clemency by Obama | Democracy Now! - Leonard Peltier Denied Clemency by Obama | Democrac... ow.ly/wJZx508JXAo 2 hours ago
- Wapekeka First Nation asked for suicide-prevention funds months before deaths of 2 girls - Thunder Bay - CBC Ne... ow.ly/4410508JXAp 2 hours ago
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.