If you’re looking for evidence of how stupid and racist American imperialism can make you, look no further than the MANIFEST DESTINY T-shirt that was released by the Gap. The designer Mark McNairy thought he was taking a political ideology of imperial empowerment and reclaiming it as a personal improvement slogan. Don’t know what Manifest Destiny is? … Then consider this to be a teachable moment for you… The question is, is it possible for white people to go all through their lives and not know that touting the benefits of Manifest Destiny is not a good thing? It would seem so… But when you analyze it further it sadly doesn’t seem that far-fetched. When i think about on my own schooling i remember how American imperialism was buffed to a shine so that it became easy to gloss over, slavery, women’s suffrage, the labor struggles of the late 19th and early 20th century, and the civil rights era, just to name a few things that come to mind. So the fact that Mark McNairy came out of Junior High School thinking that Manifest Destiny was a positive ideology is not that far off.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Bolivian-Venezuelan Military construction team begins work on TIPNIS highway
- New Paramilitary Attack in the Caracol of Resistance towards a New Dawn, La Garrucha
- Ninth Circuit (Largely) Rejects Alaska Eskimo Whaling Commission Challenge to Oil & Gas Exploration Permits
- Cybersquatters giving some US presidential candidates a bad name
- Support Greece, not banking billionaires, British Labourite Corbyn says
- The 29 Elected Officials Who Can't Handle the Truth: Which WA Legislators Voted No on Native History in Public Sch... ow.ly/30JLYI 4 hours ago
- More damning evidence of the impacts of GMOs in Brazil - Global Justice Ecology Project ow.ly/30JHIS 4 hours ago
- KKK plans South Carolina State House rally | News & Observer ow.ly/30JHIR 4 hours ago
- KKK Launches Massive Membership Drive After Charleston Massacre - Linkis.com ow.ly/30JHIT 4 hours ago
- "“This is a war that I saw destroy lives,” she said. “It eliminated a generation of African American..." ow.ly/30JzQY 4 hours ago