By Pip Hinman, CaracasAbout 3 million people march.Nothing quite prepares you for a first visit to Venezuela ― especially when the country is polarised between two very different visions for the future.This is how it was just before the October 7 presidential elections, which socialist President Hugo Chavez won with 55% of the vote in the largest turnout, more than 81%, in Venezuelan history.The polarisation was marked by the fact that Chavez, who ran on a platform for a transition to socialism, and the opposition, whose right-wing candidate Henri Capriles ran on a platform that claimed to support Chavezs famous social missions, received their highest votes ever since Chavez was first elected in 1998.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- THE GREAT EUROPEAN EXPERIMENT FALLS APART
- NASCAR tells fans not to bring Confederate flags to races
- British artists against TTIP trade deal
- United States arms profits first, Bahraini human rights a poor second
- National/Guerrero: Nine months after the Ayotzinapa atrocity, relatives express that they will not be silenced
- Nazi flags erected near bonfire site in Carrickfergus - BBC News ow.ly/315hn7 7 hours ago
- "According to documents obtained by the Associated Press and released on Monday, Bill Cosby stated..." ow.ly/315hhZ 7 hours ago
- "According to documents obtained by the Associated Press and released on Monday, Bill Cosby stated..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1p1AgCH 7 hours ago
- "At the same time, many of you are scandalized by the ruling (we know because you keep tweeting about..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1p0ymYT 8 hours ago
- "The co-chair of the Marion County GOP, T. Waldmann-Williams, did not object to the flags when she..." ow.ly/314TjR 9 hours ago