17/10/2012- Amnesty International on Wednesday sharply criticised Serbian authorities for forcibly resettling Roma Gypsies in the capital Belgrade earlier this year and called for legislation banning such evictions. “The mass forced eviction demonstrates the need for legislative changes in Serbia. The authorities need to urgently adopt a law which prohibits forced evictions and sets out safeguards that must be complied with prior to any eviction so that the right to adequate housing and other human rights of any community due for evictions are respected,” Amnesty said. In April, Belgrade authorities removed about 1,000 Roma Gypsies from an encampment in a shopping centre in New Belgrade, where they were living in cardboard shacks. The Roma Gypsies were resettled to containers with water and electricity located in several areas on the outskirts of the city and elsewhere in Serbia, worsening the plight of many, according to Amnesty.In Serbia, many of the resettled Roma, who earned living by collecting and recycling materials in the centre of Belgrade, complained that finding work in the new locations was impossible. “Without work, many families are now dependent on the authorities for food, and have difficulty in accessing healthcare and other services,” Amnesty said. Belgrade mayor Dragan Djilas has said the city could not afford “luxury appartments” for the resettled Roma, saying they had been offered much better conditions than they had in the Belvil shopping centre and were treated much better than in some European countries. But Amnesty disputed Djilas’ arguments. “While the Belgrade authorities claim that they aimed to improve the situation of Roma by evicting them from Belvil, many have ended up in a far worse situation,” said Sian Jones, Amnesty International’s expert on Serbia.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Islamic State ‘used mustard gas’ against peshmerga – BBC News
- Dissent on Israel Not Permitted at Bernie Sanders Event
- Editorial: Rudy Giuliani, a sellout on gun control stance – NY Daily News
- Video shows NYPD cop pepper spray man after allegedly taking his cash | Fusion
- This Tattooed, Head-shaven, Straight-talking Mayor Wants to Be the Next Senator From Pennsylvania
- Turkmenistan Reshuffles Security Chiefs As Afghan Unrest Deepens | EurasiaNet.org ow.ly/35ctOe 20 hours ago
- Wikileaks Exposes Secret Deal To Get Saudi Arabia On UN Human Rights Council ow.ly/35citT 22 hours ago
- Tatar militants pledge to Syria's Nusra Front? | World War 4 Report ow.ly/35citS 22 hours ago
- Israeli undercover agents filmed infiltrating Palestinian protests, pulling guns on demonstrators - International ... ow.ly/35citU 22 hours ago
- A shout out to Olympia, WA: You're... - Friends of Peltier | Facebook ow.ly/35chIS 22 hours ago