17/10/2012- Amnesty International on Wednesday sharply criticised Serbian authorities for forcibly resettling Roma Gypsies in the capital Belgrade earlier this year and called for legislation banning such evictions. “The mass forced eviction demonstrates the need for legislative changes in Serbia. The authorities need to urgently adopt a law which prohibits forced evictions and sets out safeguards that must be complied with prior to any eviction so that the right to adequate housing and other human rights of any community due for evictions are respected,” Amnesty said. In April, Belgrade authorities removed about 1,000 Roma Gypsies from an encampment in a shopping centre in New Belgrade, where they were living in cardboard shacks. The Roma Gypsies were resettled to containers with water and electricity located in several areas on the outskirts of the city and elsewhere in Serbia, worsening the plight of many, according to Amnesty.In Serbia, many of the resettled Roma, who earned living by collecting and recycling materials in the centre of Belgrade, complained that finding work in the new locations was impossible. “Without work, many families are now dependent on the authorities for food, and have difficulty in accessing healthcare and other services,” Amnesty said. Belgrade mayor Dragan Djilas has said the city could not afford “luxury appartments” for the resettled Roma, saying they had been offered much better conditions than they had in the Belvil shopping centre and were treated much better than in some European countries. But Amnesty disputed Djilas’ arguments. “While the Belgrade authorities claim that they aimed to improve the situation of Roma by evicting them from Belvil, many have ended up in a far worse situation,” said Sian Jones, Amnesty International’s expert on Serbia.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Mapuche: Gira de Jaime Huenchullan a Europa
- The Face of Litter: DNA taken from trash used to map features of litterbugs in Hong Kong — RT News
- County sheriff has used stingray over 300 times with no warrant | Ars Technica
- Texas police warned of new threats from biker gangs – AOL.com
- 4th World Radyo: The Hidden American Gulag: TheAngryindian Speaks with George Mallinckrodt
- Exclusive: Leaked Report Profiles Military, Police Members of Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs - The Intercept ow.ly/2Z1M1n 11 hours ago
- WGAR News: NT Intervention opened way to Aboriginal community closures: Paddy Gibson, Green Left | Indymedia Austr... ow.ly/2Z1M1o 11 hours ago
- "In the 2006 report, the FBI found that federal court determined that members of a Los Angeles..." ow.ly/2Z1KqF 12 hours ago
- FBI Says Racist Organizations Have Been Infiltrating Police Departments For Years ow.ly/2Z1I8L 12 hours ago
- "In the 2006 report, the FBI found that federal court determined that members of a Los Angeles sheriffs..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1lad3td 12 hours ago