The first immigrant to New York City has been identified by scholars at City University — and politicians at City Hall have already named a swath of upper Broadway in his honor.Sailor-turned-merchant Juan Rodriguez arrived downtown in 1613 from his home on the island now known as the Dominican Republic, making him the first visitor to spend a night in Manhattan, researchers say.He also became the first non-Indian to settle permanently in the city, the first Dominican resident, the first Latino and the first settler with African blood, according to the City University of New York’s Dominican Studies Institute.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Stoltenberg: NATO To Defend All European States
- Longtime Prisoner Leonard Peltier Gets New Ally, His Son, In Fight For Freedom (Photos)
- DEMAND ADEQUATE MEDICAL CARE FOR POLITIkAL PRISONER ROBERT SETH HAYEZ!
- Newspaper That Printed Letter Calling For Obama’s Execution: Oops!
- Volume 4, Issue 1 has been published!
- Israel’s president calls BDS a ‘strategic threat’ | 972 Magazine ow.ly/2ZcFZs 48 minutes ago
- Youth among the dead at Kentex � Bulatlat - Youth among the dead at Kentex � Bulatlat: Like other relatives of wor... ow.ly/2ZcFZq 48 minutes ago
- Irak: près 500 corps exhumés des fosses communes de Tikrit - Moyen-Orient - RFI ow.ly/2ZcFZr 48 minutes ago
- "Hiwa-hiwalay na software o proyekto ang bumubuo sa operating system (OS) na GNU/Linux. Libu-libong..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1lumNLJ 1 hour ago
- FYI: La Zapatistas – The Ongoing Struggle Against neo-Colonialism w/ @angrywhitekid - APNS Public Radyo wp.me/p3dV9c-5b 1 hour ago