The first immigrant to New York City has been identified by scholars at City University — and politicians at City Hall have already named a swath of upper Broadway in his honor.Sailor-turned-merchant Juan Rodriguez arrived downtown in 1613 from his home on the island now known as the Dominican Republic, making him the first visitor to spend a night in Manhattan, researchers say.He also became the first non-Indian to settle permanently in the city, the first Dominican resident, the first Latino and the first settler with African blood, according to the City University of New York’s Dominican Studies Institute.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Islamic State ‘used mustard gas’ against peshmerga – BBC News
- Dissent on Israel Not Permitted at Bernie Sanders Event
- Editorial: Rudy Giuliani, a sellout on gun control stance – NY Daily News
- Video shows NYPD cop pepper spray man after allegedly taking his cash | Fusion
- This Tattooed, Head-shaven, Straight-talking Mayor Wants to Be the Next Senator From Pennsylvania
- Turkmenistan Reshuffles Security Chiefs As Afghan Unrest Deepens | EurasiaNet.org ow.ly/35ctOe 1 day ago
- Wikileaks Exposes Secret Deal To Get Saudi Arabia On UN Human Rights Council ow.ly/35citT 1 day ago
- Tatar militants pledge to Syria's Nusra Front? | World War 4 Report ow.ly/35citS 1 day ago
- Israeli undercover agents filmed infiltrating Palestinian protests, pulling guns on demonstrators - International ... ow.ly/35citU 1 day ago
- A shout out to Olympia, WA: You're... - Friends of Peltier | Facebook ow.ly/35chIS 1 day ago