The first immigrant to New York City has been identified by scholars at City University — and politicians at City Hall have already named a swath of upper Broadway in his honor.Sailor-turned-merchant Juan Rodriguez arrived downtown in 1613 from his home on the island now known as the Dominican Republic, making him the first visitor to spend a night in Manhattan, researchers say.He also became the first non-Indian to settle permanently in the city, the first Dominican resident, the first Latino and the first settler with African blood, according to the City University of New York’s Dominican Studies Institute.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- "Later during the same broadcast, McDonough called for a “scientific study” of what he called the “thug..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1j_y_l5 19 minutes ago
- "“The last thing I want to come from this is to go back to the way things are,” said 22 year-old..." ow.ly/2YbpVT 55 minutes ago
- Stacking Up the Administration's Drone Claims - Stacking Up the Administration's Drone Claims: [projects.propublic... ow.ly/2YboVq 56 minutes ago
- "“The last thing I want to come from this is to go back to the way things are,” said 22 year-old..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1j_n1pO 1 hour ago
- Solidarity from Palestine to Baltimore | International Solidarity Movement ow.ly/MsUst 1 hour ago