The first immigrant to New York City has been identified by scholars at City University — and politicians at City Hall have already named a swath of upper Broadway in his honor.Sailor-turned-merchant Juan Rodriguez arrived downtown in 1613 from his home on the island now known as the Dominican Republic, making him the first visitor to spend a night in Manhattan, researchers say.He also became the first non-Indian to settle permanently in the city, the first Dominican resident, the first Latino and the first settler with African blood, according to the City University of New York’s Dominican Studies Institute.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- THE GREAT EUROPEAN EXPERIMENT FALLS APART
- NASCAR tells fans not to bring Confederate flags to races
- British artists against TTIP trade deal
- United States arms profits first, Bahraini human rights a poor second
- National/Guerrero: Nine months after the Ayotzinapa atrocity, relatives express that they will not be silenced
- Nazi flags erected near bonfire site in Carrickfergus - BBC News ow.ly/315hn7 2 hours ago
- "According to documents obtained by the Associated Press and released on Monday, Bill Cosby stated..." ow.ly/315hhZ 2 hours ago
- "According to documents obtained by the Associated Press and released on Monday, Bill Cosby stated..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1p1AgCH 3 hours ago
- "At the same time, many of you are scandalized by the ruling (we know because you keep tweeting about..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1p0ymYT 3 hours ago
- "The co-chair of the Marion County GOP, T. Waldmann-Williams, did not object to the flags when she..." ow.ly/314TjR 5 hours ago