California officials frequently cite possession of black literature, left-wing materials, and writing about prisoner rights as evidence of gang affiliation. In the dozens of cases I reviewed, gang investigators have used the term “[BGF] training material” to refer to publications by California Prison Focus, a group that advocates the abolition of the SHUs; Jackson’s once best-selling Soledad Brother; a pamphlet said to reference “Revolutionary Black Nationalism, The Black Internationalist Party, Marx, and Lenin”; and a pamphlet titled “The Black People’s Prison Survival Guide.” This last one advises inmates to read books, keep a dictionary handy, practice yoga, avoid watching too much television, and stay away from “leaders of gangs.”The list goes on. Other materials considered evidence of gang involvement have included writings by Mumia Abu-Jamal; The Black Panther Party: Reconsidered, a collection of academic essays by University of Cincinnati professor Charles Jones; pictures of Assata Shakur, Malcolm X, George Jackson, and Nat Turner; and virtually anything using the term “New Afrikan.” At least one validation besides Pennington’s referenced handwritten pages of “Afro centric ideology.”
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Islamic State ‘used mustard gas’ against peshmerga – BBC News
- Dissent on Israel Not Permitted at Bernie Sanders Event
- Editorial: Rudy Giuliani, a sellout on gun control stance – NY Daily News
- Video shows NYPD cop pepper spray man after allegedly taking his cash | Fusion
- This Tattooed, Head-shaven, Straight-talking Mayor Wants to Be the Next Senator From Pennsylvania
- Turkmenistan Reshuffles Security Chiefs As Afghan Unrest Deepens | EurasiaNet.org ow.ly/35ctOe 1 day ago
- Wikileaks Exposes Secret Deal To Get Saudi Arabia On UN Human Rights Council ow.ly/35citT 1 day ago
- Tatar militants pledge to Syria's Nusra Front? | World War 4 Report ow.ly/35citS 1 day ago
- Israeli undercover agents filmed infiltrating Palestinian protests, pulling guns on demonstrators - International ... ow.ly/35citU 1 day ago
- A shout out to Olympia, WA: You're... - Friends of Peltier | Facebook ow.ly/35chIS 1 day ago