California officials frequently cite possession of black literature, left-wing materials, and writing about prisoner rights as evidence of gang affiliation. In the dozens of cases I reviewed, gang investigators have used the term “[BGF] training material” to refer to publications by California Prison Focus, a group that advocates the abolition of the SHUs; Jackson’s once best-selling Soledad Brother; a pamphlet said to reference “Revolutionary Black Nationalism, The Black Internationalist Party, Marx, and Lenin”; and a pamphlet titled “The Black People’s Prison Survival Guide.” This last one advises inmates to read books, keep a dictionary handy, practice yoga, avoid watching too much television, and stay away from “leaders of gangs.”The list goes on. Other materials considered evidence of gang involvement have included writings by Mumia Abu-Jamal; The Black Panther Party: Reconsidered, a collection of academic essays by University of Cincinnati professor Charles Jones; pictures of Assata Shakur, Malcolm X, George Jackson, and Nat Turner; and virtually anything using the term “New Afrikan.” At least one validation besides Pennington’s referenced handwritten pages of “Afro centric ideology.”
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Bolivian-Venezuelan Military construction team begins work on TIPNIS highway
- New Paramilitary Attack in the Caracol of Resistance towards a New Dawn, La Garrucha
- Ninth Circuit (Largely) Rejects Alaska Eskimo Whaling Commission Challenge to Oil & Gas Exploration Permits
- Cybersquatters giving some US presidential candidates a bad name
- Support Greece, not banking billionaires, British Labourite Corbyn says
- The 29 Elected Officials Who Can't Handle the Truth: Which WA Legislators Voted No on Native History in Public Sch... ow.ly/30JLYI 2 hours ago
- More damning evidence of the impacts of GMOs in Brazil - Global Justice Ecology Project ow.ly/30JHIS 2 hours ago
- KKK plans South Carolina State House rally | News & Observer ow.ly/30JHIR 2 hours ago
- KKK Launches Massive Membership Drive After Charleston Massacre - Linkis.com ow.ly/30JHIT 2 hours ago
- "“This is a war that I saw destroy lives,” she said. “It eliminated a generation of African American..." ow.ly/30JzQY 3 hours ago