California officials frequently cite possession of black literature, left-wing materials, and writing about prisoner rights as evidence of gang affiliation. In the dozens of cases I reviewed, gang investigators have used the term “[BGF] training material” to refer to publications by California Prison Focus, a group that advocates the abolition of the SHUs; Jackson’s once best-selling Soledad Brother; a pamphlet said to reference “Revolutionary Black Nationalism, The Black Internationalist Party, Marx, and Lenin”; and a pamphlet titled “The Black People’s Prison Survival Guide.” This last one advises inmates to read books, keep a dictionary handy, practice yoga, avoid watching too much television, and stay away from “leaders of gangs.”The list goes on. Other materials considered evidence of gang involvement have included writings by Mumia Abu-Jamal; The Black Panther Party: Reconsidered, a collection of academic essays by University of Cincinnati professor Charles Jones; pictures of Assata Shakur, Malcolm X, George Jackson, and Nat Turner; and virtually anything using the term “New Afrikan.” At least one validation besides Pennington’s referenced handwritten pages of “Afro centric ideology.”
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- From Console to Trigger: How Pentagon “Exploits” Video Game Culture to Wire Youth for War | Democracy Now!
- GOP establishment fears Donald Trump could permanently tarnish Republican party image – The Boston Globe
- Former al-Qaeda mufti: I condemn ISIL attacks – Al Jazeera English
- Dell apologizes for preinstalling bogus root-certificate on computers / Boing Boing
- Teen who ran away to join ISIS allegedly beaten to death when she tried to leave
- From Console to Trigger: How Pentagon "Exploits" Video Game Culture to Wire Youth for War | Democracy Now! ow.ly/38lMQq 25 minutes ago
- AWARE-LA - Statement in Solidarity with #BlackLivesMatter... | Facebook ow.ly/38lC8I 1 hour ago
- GOP establishment fears Donald Trump could permanently tarnish Republican party image - The Boston Globe ow.ly/38lBDP 1 hour ago
- 4thWorldRadyo: #DrBenCarson does not Speak 4 Me & Other COINTELPRO Distractions in N.America is.gd/tncaSh https://t.co/vMYnBt4a0E 2 hours ago
- #WhiteOnWhiteCrime more prevalent than #BlackOnBlack | Call & Post Newspaper | Cleveland, Ohio ( twitthat.com/3MIM5 ) 2 hours ago