California officials frequently cite possession of black literature, left-wing materials, and writing about prisoner rights as evidence of gang affiliation. In the dozens of cases I reviewed, gang investigators have used the term “[BGF] training material” to refer to publications by California Prison Focus, a group that advocates the abolition of the SHUs; Jackson’s once best-selling Soledad Brother; a pamphlet said to reference “Revolutionary Black Nationalism, The Black Internationalist Party, Marx, and Lenin”; and a pamphlet titled “The Black People’s Prison Survival Guide.” This last one advises inmates to read books, keep a dictionary handy, practice yoga, avoid watching too much television, and stay away from “leaders of gangs.”The list goes on. Other materials considered evidence of gang involvement have included writings by Mumia Abu-Jamal; The Black Panther Party: Reconsidered, a collection of academic essays by University of Cincinnati professor Charles Jones; pictures of Assata Shakur, Malcolm X, George Jackson, and Nat Turner; and virtually anything using the term “New Afrikan.” At least one validation besides Pennington’s referenced handwritten pages of “Afro centric ideology.”
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Jewish extremists torch cars, desecrate mosque in Israel
- Washington State Senator: ‘Colored’ People More Likely to Commit Crimes – The Root
- Former CIA Director David Petraeus Admits Sharing Military Secrets With Mistress
- Company Asks Cops to Keep Use of License Plate Trackers Secret | American Civil Liberties Union
- Mbeki to African leaders: Invest in ICT infrastructure to solve local challenges – Vanguard News
- "“They told me that I was wanted for murders in the state of California,” Harvey said. “I laughed. I..." ow.ly/2VxcP2 2 hours ago
- Jewish extremists torch cars, desecrate mosque in Israel | Occupied Palestine | فلسطين ow.ly/2Vx2Wa 2 hours ago
- Mexico cracks down on narco-oil | World War 4 Report - Mexico cracks down on narco-oil | World War 4 Report: This ... ow.ly/2Vx2Wc 2 hours ago
- Did Conservatives violate their own terror bill by sharing "terrorist propaganda" on Facebook? | Press Progress ow.ly/2Vx2Wb 2 hours ago
- "“They told me that I was wanted for murders in the state of California,” Harvey said. “I laughed. I..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1f4vfyF 2 hours ago