California officials frequently cite possession of black literature, left-wing materials, and writing about prisoner rights as evidence of gang affiliation. In the dozens of cases I reviewed, gang investigators have used the term “[BGF] training material” to refer to publications by California Prison Focus, a group that advocates the abolition of the SHUs; Jackson’s once best-selling Soledad Brother; a pamphlet said to reference “Revolutionary Black Nationalism, The Black Internationalist Party, Marx, and Lenin”; and a pamphlet titled “The Black People’s Prison Survival Guide.” This last one advises inmates to read books, keep a dictionary handy, practice yoga, avoid watching too much television, and stay away from “leaders of gangs.”The list goes on. Other materials considered evidence of gang involvement have included writings by Mumia Abu-Jamal; The Black Panther Party: Reconsidered, a collection of academic essays by University of Cincinnati professor Charles Jones; pictures of Assata Shakur, Malcolm X, George Jackson, and Nat Turner; and virtually anything using the term “New Afrikan.” At least one validation besides Pennington’s referenced handwritten pages of “Afro centric ideology.”
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Government delivered a letter of protest against the decree Obama on the US Embassy (AUDIO) | RNV – Radio Nacional de Venezuela
- Arab states should “strike” Gaza like Yemen, says advisor to Mahmoud Abbas | The Electronic Intifada
- S.F. jail inmates forced to fight, public defender says – SFGate
- Courthouse News Service – Startling Drone Pilot Revelation in DOJ Audit By ADAM KLASFELD
- How the Leaked TPP ISDS Chapter Threatens Intellectual Property Limitations and Exceptions » infojustice
- "On November 9, 2005 the Italian state-run broadcaster Radiotelevisione Italiana S.p.A. aired a..." ow.ly/2WBIH3 10 hours ago
- "On November 9, 2005 the Italian state-run broadcaster Radiotelevisione Italiana S.p.A. aired a..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1g-F1CM 11 hours ago
- Video: (via Fallujah:” The Hidden Massacre” Documentary-Iraq War - YouTube) — Graphic Images! ***NO MORE... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1g-CRfC 11 hours ago
- Perry Ray Robinson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Perry Ray Robinson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: In ... ow.ly/2WBFPD 11 hours ago
- "Her level of empathy is remarkable but not particularly surprising. Black girls learn almost from..." ow.ly/2WBwW0 13 hours ago