Last week, the Conservatives moved forward with a private members bill that would delete several sections of the act as a start towards fully dismantling it.Now, the Liberals have introduced their own motion calling for talks with First Nations to replace the old legislation with something better suited to current realities.The Indian Act came into effect in 1876 and sets out the terms of the relationship between the federal Crown and First Nations.The motion introduced by interim Liberal leader Bob Rae calls the existing legislation an embodiment of failed colonial and paternalistic policies.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Racisme municipal militant contre des Roms à Haubourdin (59), c’est pas le F-Haine…
- Unknown Disease Ravages Ondo Community | 28 Dead in 3 Days
- 15 Nigerians, Ghanians killed in Mediterranean by Ivoriens, Malians, Senegalese Ap
- Police release extraordinary statement on Lord Janner: “this animal is still being protected”
- Michael Brown demonstrators ‘enemy forces’, United States National Guard says
- "A Robbinsdale, Minn. police officer shot a high school student after an “unwanted person” call was..." ow.ly/2XEjFs 18 hours ago
- "A Robbinsdale, Minn. police officer shot a high school student after an “unwanted person” call was..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1ivphoH 18 hours ago
- "Akbar the Great, third of the Muslim Mughal Emperors in India (1542–1605), showed an intolerant..." ow.ly/2XA3gv 2 days ago
- "Akbar the Great, third of the Muslim Mughal Emperors in India (1542–1605), showed an intolerant..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1inV8Gp 2 days ago
- "It’s a return to one of Thatcher’s failed policies from the 1980s – the so-called..." ow.ly/2XzJIv 2 days ago