Last week, the Conservatives moved forward with a private members bill that would delete several sections of the act as a start towards fully dismantling it.Now, the Liberals have introduced their own motion calling for talks with First Nations to replace the old legislation with something better suited to current realities.The Indian Act came into effect in 1876 and sets out the terms of the relationship between the federal Crown and First Nations.The motion introduced by interim Liberal leader Bob Rae calls the existing legislation an embodiment of failed colonial and paternalistic policies.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Socialism According to Eugene V. Debs by Elizabeth Schulte
- Why the cynical focus on ‘Honour crimes’ won’t combat gender violence in the UK | Media Diversified
- Fourth World Radyo: African Objectivity versus Black Angst: The Dilemma of Liberationist Politic
- Gay CIA Contractor Claims Dangerous Harassment in War Zone | abc13.com
- “Is this your car?”: Like Sandra Bland, I confronted an officer who pulled me over for driving while black – Salon.com
- Flash - Can genes make us liberal or conservative? - France 24 ow.ly/32ee1T 5 hours ago
- Grandson of Meir Kahane arrested for role in "Jewish terrorist network" - International Middle East Media Center ow.ly/32ee1U 5 hours ago
- Exposed: The Faces and Fake Names of the People Behind #PlannedParenthood Attack Videos | Democracy Now! ow.ly/Qvg3v 6 hours ago
- Are Journalists & Activists Safe Anywhere in Mexico? Protests Erupt over Killing of 5 in Mexico City | Democracy N... ow.ly/32e8Xv 6 hours ago
- GRAIN — Agro-colonialism in the Congo: European and US development finance bankrolls a new round of agro-coloniali... ow.ly/32e4JC 7 hours ago