Last week, the Conservatives moved forward with a private members bill that would delete several sections of the act as a start towards fully dismantling it.Now, the Liberals have introduced their own motion calling for talks with First Nations to replace the old legislation with something better suited to current realities.The Indian Act came into effect in 1876 and sets out the terms of the relationship between the federal Crown and First Nations.The motion introduced by interim Liberal leader Bob Rae calls the existing legislation an embodiment of failed colonial and paternalistic policies.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- THE GREAT EUROPEAN EXPERIMENT FALLS APART
- NASCAR tells fans not to bring Confederate flags to races
- British artists against TTIP trade deal
- United States arms profits first, Bahraini human rights a poor second
- National/Guerrero: Nine months after the Ayotzinapa atrocity, relatives express that they will not be silenced
- They died so we could vote: James Chaney, Michael Schwerner and Andrew Goodman ow.ly/30Yn2F 13 hours ago
- Israel killed 23 Palestinians since start of 2015: PLO - Israel killed 23 Palestinians since start of 2015: PLO: [... ow.ly/30Y3fB 16 hours ago
- 'They burned Mohammed once, but we burn every day': One year since the murder of Mohammed Abu Khdeir ow.ly/30Y3fC 16 hours ago
- Black Woman Artist Poses Nude at Former New York City Slave Trading Sites, Including Wall Street | Black Girl with... ow.ly/30Y3fD 16 hours ago
- 4thWorldRadyo: #Genocide, #Totalitarianism & #HumanRights In #OccupiedGaza w/ #AntiZionist activist @Thalwen ow.ly/PcnQJ 17 hours ago