Last week, the Conservatives moved forward with a private members bill that would delete several sections of the act as a start towards fully dismantling it.Now, the Liberals have introduced their own motion calling for talks with First Nations to replace the old legislation with something better suited to current realities.The Indian Act came into effect in 1876 and sets out the terms of the relationship between the federal Crown and First Nations.The motion introduced by interim Liberal leader Bob Rae calls the existing legislation an embodiment of failed colonial and paternalistic policies.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Petition: SAY NO TO DISNEYFICATION OF COLONIZATION! Tell Disney Not to Make “Princess of North Sudan”!
- Amtrak Passenger Claims DEA Agent Straight Up Stole $60 From His Wallet
- Mapuche: Gira de Jaime Huenchullan a Europa
- The Face of Litter: DNA taken from trash used to map features of litterbugs in Hong Kong — RT News
- County sheriff has used stingray over 300 times with no warrant | Ars Technica
- dailykos.com: The shocking truth about the two Chicago Police officers posing in this horrendous photo ow.ly/2Z9v98 4 hours ago
- Bob Joseph - Reading for Reconciliation 6 books on Residential Schools ow.ly/2Z9v97 4 hours ago
- "“Mari kita menuntut agar pelakunya ditangkap, dipecat, dan dipenjarakan. Tidak lupa juga, buka..." ow.ly/2Z9kqq 5 hours ago
- "“Mari kita menuntut agar pelakunya ditangkap, dipecat, dan dipenjarakan. Tidak lupa juga, buka rekaman..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1loeBhp 5 hours ago
- "Landrieu also worked to expedite the approval of liquified natural gas export terminals, another..." ow.ly/2Z7I2h 17 hours ago