Last week, the Conservatives moved forward with a private members bill that would delete several sections of the act as a start towards fully dismantling it.Now, the Liberals have introduced their own motion calling for talks with First Nations to replace the old legislation with something better suited to current realities.The Indian Act came into effect in 1876 and sets out the terms of the relationship between the federal Crown and First Nations.The motion introduced by interim Liberal leader Bob Rae calls the existing legislation an embodiment of failed colonial and paternalistic policies.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Government delivered a letter of protest against the decree Obama on the US Embassy (AUDIO) | RNV – Radio Nacional de Venezuela
- Arab states should “strike” Gaza like Yemen, says advisor to Mahmoud Abbas | The Electronic Intifada
- S.F. jail inmates forced to fight, public defender says – SFGate
- Courthouse News Service – Startling Drone Pilot Revelation in DOJ Audit By ADAM KLASFELD
- How the Leaked TPP ISDS Chapter Threatens Intellectual Property Limitations and Exceptions » infojustice
- American Friends Service Committee/Atlanta: Two Christian Women Refuse Bail Until RFRA is Defeated! ow.ly/2WzHUI 11 hours ago
- American Friends Service Committee/Atlanta: Two Christian Women Refuse Bail Until RFRA is Defeated! ow.ly/2WzHUH 11 hours ago
- Judge Orders U.S. Government to Release More Than 2,000 Photos of Abuse and Torture by U.S. Military in Iraq and A... ow.ly/2WzHUG 11 hours ago
- "There has been an increasing amount of awareness around domestic violence against men in the last..." ow.ly/2WzFKd 12 hours ago
- Conservatives are now calling criticisms of Bill C-51 "conspiracy theories" | Press Progress ow.ly/2WzBvo 12 hours ago