There’s some legal reasoning — cited by a critic of Swartz’s — that ideologically-motivated acts of public disobedience should be punished more harshly than common criminality, because ideologically-motivated protesters are likely to continue to break what they see as bad laws, whereas those motivated by personal gain may be deterred by punishment. It’s called “special deterrence”.Evidence shows this theory is actually applied, at least the other way: large corporations that have engaged in repeated, systemic, even industrial-scale invasion of privacy, either with the cooperation of users Facebook or not Google, have managed to escape substantial penalties or avoid prosecution of any kind. It’s a similar story in Australia with Telstra being repeatedly guilty of privacy breaches, for which it has only receiving “warnings” and been asked for undertakings.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- S.F. jail inmates forced to fight, public defender says – SFGate
- Courthouse News Service – Startling Drone Pilot Revelation in DOJ Audit By ADAM KLASFELD
- How the Leaked TPP ISDS Chapter Threatens Intellectual Property Limitations and Exceptions » infojustice
- Cancer the Secret Weapon?
- Lost in the ’50s with Harper’s anti-terror pablum | rabble.ca
- Al Jazeera condemns attack on Sanaa bureau - Al Jazeera condemns attack on Sanaa bureau: aljazeerapr: Doha, 27th M... ow.ly/2WzoNg 48 minutes ago
- Al Jazeera condemns attack on Sanaa bureau - aljazeerapr: Doha, 27th March, 2015 Al Jazeera Media Network... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1gv8hn1 1 hour ago
- Photo: thesociologicalcinema: A U.S. Service-Member rushes two local children to safety during the battle... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1gv8Qvf 1 hour ago
- "Looking back, many people forget how controversial it was to oppose the Vietnam War. The first..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1gv7m-O 1 hour ago
- Photoset: callthisdemocracy: “This is sacred—this Indian land. And it is sacred not just for First Nations,... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1gv5pno 1 hour ago