There’s some legal reasoning — cited by a critic of Swartz’s — that ideologically-motivated acts of public disobedience should be punished more harshly than common criminality, because ideologically-motivated protesters are likely to continue to break what they see as bad laws, whereas those motivated by personal gain may be deterred by punishment. It’s called “special deterrence”.Evidence shows this theory is actually applied, at least the other way: large corporations that have engaged in repeated, systemic, even industrial-scale invasion of privacy, either with the cooperation of users Facebook or not Google, have managed to escape substantial penalties or avoid prosecution of any kind. It’s a similar story in Australia with Telstra being repeatedly guilty of privacy breaches, for which it has only receiving “warnings” and been asked for undertakings.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- McDonald’s faces worker pressure as shareholders meet – By Kim Gittleson BBC News, Chicago May 21st 2015
- White Cop Does Not Kill Black Motorist, Becomes National Hero
- ‘No Reason a Democrat Has to Be a Weakling’ – By MARK I. PINSKY May 20, 2015
- Nebraska lawmakers vote to abolish death penalty
- Permanent Michael Brown monument in Ferguson, USA
- Germany’s Asylum Seekers – You Can’t Evict a Movement | Inter Press Service ow.ly/2YWpcW 8 hours ago
- Israeli court approves Bedouin land confiscation | World War 4 Report ow.ly/2YVZfY 13 hours ago
- pewresearch: Is Chicago really the “murder capital” of... - pewresearch: Is Chicago really the “murder capital” of... ow.ly/2YVPhI 14 hours ago
- Photoset: pewresearch: Is Chicago really the “murder capital” of America? How has immigration to the U.S.... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1lMIyBB 14 hours ago
- “Law enforcement was never meant to handle mental illness”: A psychologist just took over America’s... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1lMDE7I 15 hours ago