There’s some legal reasoning — cited by a critic of Swartz’s — that ideologically-motivated acts of public disobedience should be punished more harshly than common criminality, because ideologically-motivated protesters are likely to continue to break what they see as bad laws, whereas those motivated by personal gain may be deterred by punishment. It’s called “special deterrence”.Evidence shows this theory is actually applied, at least the other way: large corporations that have engaged in repeated, systemic, even industrial-scale invasion of privacy, either with the cooperation of users Facebook or not Google, have managed to escape substantial penalties or avoid prosecution of any kind. It’s a similar story in Australia with Telstra being repeatedly guilty of privacy breaches, for which it has only receiving “warnings” and been asked for undertakings.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Support Grows for a National Commission on Reparatory Justice
- Why You Mad Son? Radio | Facebook
- Virginia gunman was told by TV station to seek medical attention, memos say | US news | The Guardian
- COINTELPRO warrior Dhoruba bin Wahad attacked by New Black Panther Party – National Cointelpro | Examiner.com
- LAPD & Chicago bought “Stingrays on steroids” with asset-forfeiture & DHS money – Boing Boing
- (via FBI Had 12-Page File On George Carlin Because He Made Jokes... ow.ly/33q44k 10 hours ago
- Images of Israeli soldier trying to arrest boy go viral - CNN.com ow.ly/33pWBA 11 hours ago
- Photoset: (via FBI Had 12-Page File On George Carlin Because He Made Jokes About Government) After Carlin’s... tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1tBtYyl 11 hours ago
- Israeli minister says IDF should have fired on unarmed Palestinian protesters for humiliating a soldier – Mondowei... ow.ly/33pPSw 11 hours ago
- Blood on the Tracks | Bitch Media - Blood on the Tracks | Bitch Media: In my last album, Running for the Drum, [I ... ow.ly/33puTY 15 hours ago