There’s some legal reasoning — cited by a critic of Swartz’s — that ideologically-motivated acts of public disobedience should be punished more harshly than common criminality, because ideologically-motivated protesters are likely to continue to break what they see as bad laws, whereas those motivated by personal gain may be deterred by punishment. It’s called “special deterrence”.Evidence shows this theory is actually applied, at least the other way: large corporations that have engaged in repeated, systemic, even industrial-scale invasion of privacy, either with the cooperation of users Facebook or not Google, have managed to escape substantial penalties or avoid prosecution of any kind. It’s a similar story in Australia with Telstra being repeatedly guilty of privacy breaches, for which it has only receiving “warnings” and been asked for undertakings.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Anti-gay crusader had 250-page FBI file | TheHill
- On the blacklist: how did the UK’s top building firms get secret information on their workers? | UK news | The Guardian
- WordPress Sites Vulnerable to Plugin-Related SQL Attacks | Threatpost | The first stop for security news
- ‘Ex-Israeli agents’ threatened cyber attack on S Africa – Al Jazeera English
- Gemalto Doesn’t Know What It Doesn’t Know – The Intercept
- More white evangelicals than American Jews say God gave Israel to the Jewish people | Pew Research Center ow.ly/2VkgfP 1 hour ago
- Police Killing of Unarmed Native American Continues To Receive Little Media Attention ow.ly/2VkgfQ 1 hour ago
- "Gantz’s period as chief of staff was a tumultuous one, as he found himself shepherding the IDF..." ow.ly/2VkfJK 1 hour ago
- RT @TheAngryindian: @NeilJEdmondson What my being Gullah have to do w/ you simply answering the question? 2 hours ago
- "Gantz’s period as chief of staff was a tumultuous one, as he found himself shepherding the IDF through..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1elY-fH 2 hours ago