There’s some legal reasoning — cited by a critic of Swartz’s — that ideologically-motivated acts of public disobedience should be punished more harshly than common criminality, because ideologically-motivated protesters are likely to continue to break what they see as bad laws, whereas those motivated by personal gain may be deterred by punishment. It’s called “special deterrence”.Evidence shows this theory is actually applied, at least the other way: large corporations that have engaged in repeated, systemic, even industrial-scale invasion of privacy, either with the cooperation of users Facebook or not Google, have managed to escape substantial penalties or avoid prosecution of any kind. It’s a similar story in Australia with Telstra being repeatedly guilty of privacy breaches, for which it has only receiving “warnings” and been asked for undertakings.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- THE GREAT EUROPEAN EXPERIMENT FALLS APART
- NASCAR tells fans not to bring Confederate flags to races
- British artists against TTIP trade deal
- United States arms profits first, Bahraini human rights a poor second
- National/Guerrero: Nine months after the Ayotzinapa atrocity, relatives express that they will not be silenced
- "In a 7-0 ruling, the Oklahoma Supreme Court cleared the way for two lawsuits filed against New..." ow.ly/30Vq6A 4 hours ago
- "In a 7-0 ruling, the Oklahoma Supreme Court cleared the way for two lawsuits filed against New..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1ojBNWg 5 hours ago
- Controversies - Federal Hate Crime Conviction Rate: 11% - AllGov - News ow.ly/30VjqE 6 hours ago
- Obama Admin Blocks Stadium Until Redskins Change Their Name | Mediaite ow.ly/30VeMY 6 hours ago
- Obama Admin Blocks Stadium Until Redskins Change Their Name | Mediaite ow.ly/30VeMX 6 hours ago