Much of the discussion following the death of Aaron Swartz relates to the issue of disproportionate prosecution.Legal heavyweights and online activists discuss whether Massachusetts prosecutors were pursuing him overzealously, and the nature of Swartz’s alleged crimes when he downloaded 4 million articles from JSTOR, an archive to which he had legitimate access. Swartz faced up to 35 years in jail for downloading the articles. The prosecutor responsible for the pursuit of Swartz, Carmen Ortiz, last week tried to wash her hands of responsibility for his death.Whatever the legal and procedural merits of Ortiz’s pursuit of Swartz, aggressive over-prosecution is normally the fate of anyone deemed to be an online activist.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Will Paris Attacks Breathe New Life Into London’s Special Relationship With the U.S.? | Foreign Policy
- From Console to Trigger: How Pentagon “Exploits” Video Game Culture to Wire Youth for War | Democracy Now!
- GOP establishment fears Donald Trump could permanently tarnish Republican party image – The Boston Globe
- Former al-Qaeda mufti: I condemn ISIL attacks – Al Jazeera English
- Dell apologizes for preinstalling bogus root-certificate on computers / Boing Boing
- Will Paris Attacks Breathe New Life Into London’s Special Relationship With the U.S.? | Foreign Policy ow.ly/38nAYE 35 minutes ago
- From Console to Trigger: How Pentagon "Exploits" Video Game Culture to Wire Youth for War | Democracy Now! ow.ly/38lMQq 20 hours ago
- AWARE-LA - Statement in Solidarity with #BlackLivesMatter... | Facebook ow.ly/38lC8I 21 hours ago
- GOP establishment fears Donald Trump could permanently tarnish Republican party image - The Boston Globe ow.ly/38lBDP 21 hours ago
- 4thWorldRadyo: #DrBenCarson does not Speak 4 Me & Other COINTELPRO Distractions in N.America is.gd/tncaSh https://t.co/vMYnBt4a0E 22 hours ago