Much of the discussion following the death of Aaron Swartz relates to the issue of disproportionate prosecution.Legal heavyweights and online activists discuss whether Massachusetts prosecutors were pursuing him overzealously, and the nature of Swartz’s alleged crimes when he downloaded 4 million articles from JSTOR, an archive to which he had legitimate access. Swartz faced up to 35 years in jail for downloading the articles. The prosecutor responsible for the pursuit of Swartz, Carmen Ortiz, last week tried to wash her hands of responsibility for his death.Whatever the legal and procedural merits of Ortiz’s pursuit of Swartz, aggressive over-prosecution is normally the fate of anyone deemed to be an online activist.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- WordPress Sites Vulnerable to Plugin-Related SQL Attacks | Threatpost | The first stop for security news
- ‘Ex-Israeli agents’ threatened cyber attack on S Africa – Al Jazeera English
- Gemalto Doesn’t Know What It Doesn’t Know – The Intercept
- Who is responsible for death threats from a Twitter bot?
- Bill O’Reilly allegedly threatens reporter amid accusations that he lied about Falklands War coverage – Americas – World – The Independent
- "enver police policies state that firing at a moving vehicle and disabling the driver could result in..." ow.ly/2VhsvM 2 hours ago
- "enver police policies state that firing at a moving vehicle and disabling the driver could result in..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1ec_er9 2 hours ago
- "It was alarming for his crewmates and for the audience to see Spock in such a deranged state in “Amok..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1ecxcRl 2 hours ago
- "The call was made by a juvenile female who was injured and ran to a neighbor’s home after hearing..." ow.ly/2VgMUh 12 hours ago
- "The call was made by a juvenile female who was injured and ran to a neighbor’s home after hearing the..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1ebETzz 12 hours ago