Much of the discussion following the death of Aaron Swartz relates to the issue of disproportionate prosecution.Legal heavyweights and online activists discuss whether Massachusetts prosecutors were pursuing him overzealously, and the nature of Swartz’s alleged crimes when he downloaded 4 million articles from JSTOR, an archive to which he had legitimate access. Swartz faced up to 35 years in jail for downloading the articles. The prosecutor responsible for the pursuit of Swartz, Carmen Ortiz, last week tried to wash her hands of responsibility for his death.Whatever the legal and procedural merits of Ortiz’s pursuit of Swartz, aggressive over-prosecution is normally the fate of anyone deemed to be an online activist.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- 4th World Radyo : Trapped in a World of White Sociopolitical Values, Which Way is Up?
- Soldiers of Odin, Europe’s Notorious Anti-Immigration Group, Is Beginning to Form Cells in Canada | VICE | United States
- Congress releases details of Saudi 9-11 links | CounterVortex
- “Honey Onions” probe the Dark Web: at least 3% of Tor nodes are rogues — Naked Security
- How to See If Hackers Stole Your Password – July 2016 — Just Sayin’
- 4th World Radyo : Trapped in a World of White Sociopolitical Values, Which Way is Up? ow.ly/BKVJ502P827 2 hours ago
- When Play Is Criminalized: Racial Disparities in Childhood - When Play Is Criminalized: Racial Disparities in C... ow.ly/V2Ol502P2X7 3 hours ago
- Hungary's Anti-Immigrant PM Applauds Trump's Security Policies | News | teleSUR English ow.ly/Uu0z502P2WY 3 hours ago
- Suppressed News: concerned with the prevention of genocide by j. b. gerald 2016 / July 12, 2016 ow.ly/2X0H502P2WX 3 hours ago
- 2016 Suppressed News ow.ly/Atzq302DmUx 3 hours ago
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.