The United States intelligence agency was so interested, in fact, that it hacked into Al Jazeera’s internal communications system, according to documents from former NSA contractor and whistleblower Edward Snowden that have been seen by SPIEGEL.One such document, dated March 23, 2006, reveals that the NSA’s Network Analysis Center managed to access and read communication by “interesting targets” that was specially protected by the news organization. The information also shows that the NSA officials were not satisfied with Al Jazeera’s language analysis.
- Snowden’s new leak: NSA spied on the United Nations (dailydot.com)
- German magazine: NSA spied on United Nations (sfgate.com)
- NSA spied on UN, leaked files show (cbc.ca)
- Der Spiegel’s publication of Snowden’s revelations met with silence of “the offended” (voiceofrussia.com)
- NSA spied on United Nations (philly.com)
- NZ Al Jazeera journalist detained in Egypt (radionz.co.nz)