More than jihadism or Iran, China’s role in Africa is Obama’s obsession | John Pilger | Comment is free | The Guardian – Today Somalia is a theme park of brutal, artificial divisions, long impoverished by World Bank and IMF “structural adjustment” programmes, and saturated with modern weapons – notably President Obama’s personal favourite, the drone. The one stable Somali government, the Islamic Courts, was “well received by the people in the areas it controlled”, reported the US Congressional Research Service, “[but] received negative press coverage, especially in the west”. Obama crushed it; and last January Hillary Clinton, then secretary of state, presented her man to the world. “Somalia will remain grateful to the unwavering support from the United States government,” effused President Hassan Mohamud. “Thank you, America.” The shopping mall atrocity was a response to this – just as the Twin Towers attack and the London bombings were explicit reactions to invasion and injustice. Once of little consequence, jihadism now marches in lockstep with the return of unfettered imperialism. Since Nato reduced modern Libya to a Hobbesian state in 2011, the last obstacles to Africa have fallen. “Scrambles for energy, minerals and fertile land are likely to occur with increasingly intensity,” report Ministry of Defence planners. As “high numbers of civilian casualties” are predicted, “perceptions of moral legitimacy will be important for success”. Sensitive to the PR problem of invading a continent, the arms mammoth BAE Systems, together with Barclays Capital and BP, warns that “the government should define its international mission as managing risks on behalf of British citizens”. The cynicism is lethal. British governments are repeatedly warned, not least by the parliamentary intelligence and security committee, that foreign adventures beckon retaliation at home.
- Old Game, New Obsession, New Enemy. Now It’s China. by John Pilger (zcommunications.org)
- More than jihadism or Iran, China’s role in Africa is Obama’s obsession (phantomreport.com)
- John Pilger: Journalist For Truth. (wolfessblog.wordpress.com)
- The silent military coup that took over Washington | John Pilger (theguardian.com)
- ‘Utopia’ by John Pilger released in UK on 15th November (economicvoice.com)
- John Pilger – The silent military coup that took over Washington (prn.fm)