FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
A Communiqué from the ANG Public Information Bureau:
To the Sovereign People of the Independent Mi’kmaq Nation
To all Colonialised Peoples of the Fourth World
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) wishes to extend its support and solidarity to the Indigenous warriors standing strong in defence of Mi’kmaq / Elsipogtog territorial and human rights under Canadian occupation and against the unwanted exploitation of their lands. We recognise their peaceful protest as part of the international struggle in defiance of intentional acts of genocide undertaken against Indigenous / First Nations Peoples throughout the Fourth World and within the occupied territories of North America.
Clearly, the ‘Indian Wars’ are not over.
Aboriginal rights defenders and concerned residents who have taken non-violent, community control over a roadway that crosses through their Nation in protest of an environmental wipeout of Indigenous land were viciously attacked by Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) state security forces employing fear tactics; rubber bullets and tear gas aimed against unarmed Indigenous Peoples on their own territory. Unnecessary mass arrests of prominent protesters and and the seizing of personal computers and recording devices against (seemingly) targeted members of the independent media has also occurred.
This is not democracy. Nor is it benevolent colonialism.
This is genocide under the provisions of the ‘Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide’ : (Resolution 260 (III) A of the U.N. General Assembly on 9 December 1948)
And Canada (the ‘Peaceful Country’) is in blatant violation of these very basic human rights.
We have all watched (mostly in silence) how the Canadian tradition of colonialist exploitation and xenophobic self-centred importance has resulted in the mass liquidation of millions of First Nations Peoples, legal and extra-legal racial segregation; punishing residential ‘de-Indianising’ schools; mass incarceration; widespread communal depression and the institution of socio-politically isolated Bantustans designed to rob Indigenous Peoples of our lands, our rights and our very dignity.
This is the basic formula of genocide.
The unapologetic use of state-sponsored violence, social coercion and subvert; psychological repression of speech; cultural and political expression in order to prevent the development of a viable, pan-Indigenous consciousness. In other words, the actions undertaken at Elsipogtog by state authorities is intended to marginalise the autochthonous Mi’kmaq Nation as a sociopolitical entity within Canada by way of force.
This is genocide.
The destruction of the Indigenous population of North America is not new news to the people of the First Nations. We continue to wage the struggle for Indigenous survival through the persistence of our resistance. The racist, enforced displacement and economic exploitation of modern First Nations Peoples, the unpeaceful dispossession of Indigenous lands and the right to protest colonialism are critical issues for all Original Peoples of the Fourth World facing extinction in the name of European and capitalist expansion.
Respect Indigenous Mi’kmaq Human and Territorial Rights!
We applaud the Mi’kmaq Warrior Society and all Original Peoples of the Fourth World courageously and intelligently resisting colonialism and Indigenous genocide.
– Editors of the Aboriginal News Group.
For further inquiries please contact:
ANG Public Information Bureau / The Fourth World:
- Warrior Society Call to Support Elsipogtog Seizure of Fracking Equipment | Halifax Media Co-op (aboriginalpress.wordpress.com)
- #Elsipogtog In Solidarity with Mi’kmaq Nations (aboriginalwriter.wordpress.com)
- Canada: Police in riot gear tear-gas and shoot Mi’kmaq protesting gas exploration in New Brunswick (indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com)
- No Thanks No Giving: Mi’kmaq Call For Actions Oct 18TH #INDIGENIZE (weeklybolshevik.wordpress.com)
- #Elsipogtog In Solidarity with Mi’kmaq Nations (aboriginalfit.com)
- No Thanks No Giving: Mi’kmaq Call For Actions Oct 18TH #INDIGENIZE (mahadabbagh.wordpress.com)
- UPDATE: RCMP Appear to Be Withdrawing as Solidarity Protests Spread (iwwboston.org)
- Well, Frack: Standing with the Mi’kmaq of Elsipogtog (wordsasplateaus.wordpress.com)
- Breaking: T.E.J.A.S proclaims October 7 day of action for Indigenous rights, delivers note from Mi’kmaq Nation to Houston fracking company (climate-connections.org)
- BREAKING: Police Raid Elsipogtog Anti-Fracking Blockade in New Brunswick. They Need Your Help! (tarsandsblockade.org)