Urban Shield began in 2007 as the brainchild of Alameda County Sheriff Greg Ahern, who leveraged federal anti-terrorism funding to create a program that brings together police, firefighters and paramedics from across the Bay Area for joint training on disasters and terrorist attacks. Training scenarios, held at sites across the Bay Area, have included a hostage-taking at UC Berkeley, a terrorist takeover of a passenger train, a school shooter and the bombing of an oil refinery by anarchists.Outside agencies have also joined in the event, which has been copied by other metropolitan areas. Ahern said Boston officials have told him the training they received at Urban Shield helped them respond to this year\’s Boston Marathon bombing.\”I think it\’s the most positive program we have going on in our region,\” Ahern said. \”I don\’t know why people would want to protest the fact that law enforcement and first responders are preparing for disasters in the Bay Area.\”But opponents are troubled by many aspects of the event. They fear that some of the participating outside agencies, such as security forces from Israel, Bahrain and China, will use the SWAT team training against civilians rather than terrorists and advise local law enforcement agencies on how to handle perceived terrorist threats.They also fear that vendors hawking everything from munitions used for policing protests to sophisticated computer equipment are marketing expensive and unnecessary military-grade equipment to local police forces as Washington pares down defense budgets.And they\’re upset that the federal government is paying about $1.5 million to cover most of the event\’s costs, while money to fight poverty has dried up.\”They would rather spend millions to practice war games and buy military hardware than to help people,\” Buford said.Ahern, who became a lightning rod on the issue of militarizing local police this year when he sought money to buy a drone, said Urban Shield was only about improving disaster preparedness and had nothing to do with policing demonstrations.He said the prior inclusion of security officials from countries such as Bahrain, which has violently suppressed recent pro-democracy protests, offered police the chance to learn more about different cultures and respond to the needs of different communities.
Southern Poverty Law Center
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
- APNS/ANG RSS Feed
- ANG Tumblr Feed
- Inquiries : gmx.com + ‘apnsnews’
- Online Editor: gmx.pt + redaktoro
- Voicemail / gTalk + ‘aboriginalmediagroup’
- Skype + ‘AboriginalNewsGroup’
- VoIP + sip:firstname.lastname@example.org
- APNS Public Radio / IRB : RSS
- Leg ĉi tiu ĵurnalo En Esperanto
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- 4thWorldRadyo // Speculative Injustice: Why Are Mainstream Leftists in the US Handing the International Far-Right t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 days ago
- Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS-ANG) ow.ly/WC3G30hQj1r 3 days ago
- Modern AfroIndio Times | 4thWorld Issues; #Antifa.schismus Politik & Conscious Afro-Indigenismo ow.ly/ejTN30hQgq2 3 days ago
- 4thWorldRadyo // Dialectical Disorder: An Indigenist Critique of Activism; Radicalism and Rational Self-Defence in… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 days ago
- APNS Novaĵagentejo - The Original non-Partisan #Indigenist Newswire ow.ly/64AE30hQeiM 3 days ago
- ‘Equatorial Guinea’s attempted coup began in France,’ President Obiang tells FRANCE 24 – France 24
- Sanjay Gupta: By all standards, Trump has heart disease
- Netanyahu: India working to reapprove scrapped $500m missile deal with major Israeli defense contractor
- Turkey to take ‘any steps necessary immediately’ to ‘defeat threats’
- AFN fears ‘unjust labelling’ of First Nations activists as ‘terrorists’ under proposed anti-terror bill: document – APTN News
- Interview With Kevin Gosztola: How Trump Will Prosecute Reality Winner
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the
Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.