Source: Der Spiegel
A “top secret” classified NSA document from the year 2010 shows that a unit known as the “Special Collection Service” (SCS) is operational in Berlin, among other locations. It is an elite corps run in concert by the US intelligence agencies NSA and CIA.
The secret list reveals that its agents are active worldwide in around 80 locations, 19 of which are in Europe — cities such as Paris, Madrid, Rome, Prague and Geneva. The SCS maintains two bases in Germany, one in Berlin and another in Frankfurt. That alone is unusual. But in addition, both German bases are equipped at the highest level and staffed with active personnel.
The SCS teams predominantly work undercover in shielded areas of the American Embassy and Consulate, where they are officially accredited as diplomats and as such enjoy special privileges. Under diplomatic protection, they are able to look and listen unhindered. They just can’t get caught.
- German Chancellor Merkel on NSA spy list since 2002 – reports – RT News (aboriginalpress.wordpress.com)
- Embassy Espionage: The NSA’s Secret Spy Hub in Berlin (spiegel.de)
- US’ NSA tracked Angela Merkel’s phone since 2002 (dnaindia.com)
- United States tracked Merkel’s phone since 2002 – report (independent.ie)
- US tracked Merkel’s phone for 10 years: report (dawn.com)
- REPORT: The US Has Been Spying On Angela Merkel’s Phone Since 2002 (businessinsider.com)
- ‘United States tracked Merkel’s phone since 2002′ (reuters.com)
- United States tracked Merkel’s phone since 2002: Report (timesofindia.indiatimes.com)