\”I just think it is time for us to consider this kind of perpetual war and also take into account: whats the blowback? Whats the negative consequences?\” Schakowsky said. \”Its a cost-benefit analysis as well, not just a moral question.\”Schakowskys amendment, which failed, 3-17, was discussed in general terms in a House report made public last week. However, the congresswoman gave a bit more detail about the measure Sunday, saying it would only have applied outside declared combat zones. Inside such areas, it is commonplace for military forces to attack suspected enemies without knowing their specific identities.Schakowsky said she believes the U.S. intelligence communitys tallies of casualties in such attacks undercount the number of so-called collateral deaths and injuries. \”The problem there for me is that every adult male is considered an enemy combatant in that situation. When we talk about lack of collateral damage, we don’t really know if innocents are involved there,\” she said.
- House Committee Refused to Ban Drone Strikes on Unidentified People (thestateweekly.com)
- House Committee Refused to Ban Drone Strikes on Unidentified People (news.antiwar.com)
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones (grumpyelder.com)
- A New Kind of War Is Being Legalized (backcountryvoices.wordpress.com)
- US drones cause ‘collateral damage’ (rinf.com)
- Only 5 Lawmakers Listen to Drone Survivors Testify (newser.com)