Darrin Manning, a black, straight-A student and star basketball player, was walking with his coach and teammates to basketball practice when they were stopped by three white police officers. The officer\’s admitted reason for stopping the group was that they were wearing scarves to cover their faces–on one of the coldest evenings ever recorded in Philadelphia. After the encounter, Manning had to be rushed to Children\’s Hospital of Philadelphia, where he underwent reconstructive surgery on his genitals. Despite his injuries, the teenager was still charged with aggravated assault and resisting arrest. An emergency townhall meeting has been announced for Tuesday January 21, where the community will convene to realize a plan for how to respond to the incident. \”We need to pay close attention to what is happening with our kids when they are interacting with police,\” said Damon Jones, Pastor of Bible Way Baptist Church, to Philly in Focus.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Petition: SAY NO TO DISNEYFICATION OF COLONIZATION! Tell Disney Not to Make “Princess of North Sudan”!
- Amtrak Passenger Claims DEA Agent Straight Up Stole $60 From His Wallet
- Mapuche: Gira de Jaime Huenchullan a Europa
- The Face of Litter: DNA taken from trash used to map features of litterbugs in Hong Kong — RT News
- County sheriff has used stingray over 300 times with no warrant | Ars Technica
- dailykos.com: The shocking truth about the two Chicago Police officers posing in this horrendous photo ow.ly/2Z9v98 2 hours ago
- Bob Joseph - Reading for Reconciliation 6 books on Residential Schools ow.ly/2Z9v97 2 hours ago
- "“Mari kita menuntut agar pelakunya ditangkap, dipecat, dan dipenjarakan. Tidak lupa juga, buka..." ow.ly/2Z9kqq 3 hours ago
- "“Mari kita menuntut agar pelakunya ditangkap, dipecat, dan dipenjarakan. Tidak lupa juga, buka rekaman..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1loeBhp 3 hours ago
- "Landrieu also worked to expedite the approval of liquified natural gas export terminals, another..." ow.ly/2Z7I2h 15 hours ago