Darrin Manning, a black, straight-A student and star basketball player, was walking with his coach and teammates to basketball practice when they were stopped by three white police officers. The officer\’s admitted reason for stopping the group was that they were wearing scarves to cover their faces–on one of the coldest evenings ever recorded in Philadelphia. After the encounter, Manning had to be rushed to Children\’s Hospital of Philadelphia, where he underwent reconstructive surgery on his genitals. Despite his injuries, the teenager was still charged with aggravated assault and resisting arrest. An emergency townhall meeting has been announced for Tuesday January 21, where the community will convene to realize a plan for how to respond to the incident. \”We need to pay close attention to what is happening with our kids when they are interacting with police,\” said Damon Jones, Pastor of Bible Way Baptist Church, to Philly in Focus.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- SBS sports reporter Scott McIntyre sacked over ‘disrespectful’ Anzac tweets | Media | The Guardian
- Update on Mumia’z Health 4/22
- Italy investigators say Vatican link in ‘al-Qaeda’ arrests – BBC News
- Arizona Sheriff Describes Investigation Into Judge’s Wife
- Chicago Is About to Offer the Nation’s First Reparations Program for Victims of Police Violence | The Nation
- N.W.T. Surface Rights Board set up to resolve land access disputes - North - CBC News ow.ly/2XVUBD 7 hours ago
- N.W.T. Surface Rights Board set up to resolve land access disputes – CBC ow.ly/2XVEYn 8 hours ago
- John Pilger: The Secret Country Again Wages War on Its Own People ow.ly/2XVtV5 9 hours ago
- Death Dealer: James Arthur Ray's 'self-help' killed three people. Now he's back. | The Verge ow.ly/2XTP0T 23 hours ago
- XENOPHOBIA: FG recalls Nigerian envoys to South Africa – TODAY ow.ly/2XScij 1 day ago