Responding to a Freedom of Information Act FOIA request from the ACLU, US attorney Preet Bharara from the southern district of New York told the ACLU on Friday that authorities would keep “certain other” records from the secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance FISA court classified.The ACLU was seeking to gain more insight into the government surveillance programs first revealed by whistleblower Edward Snowden, only to be told that some documents would be “withheld in full” under the Patriot Act.The government\’s letter to the ACLU has inspired many to speculate that the federal government has used and/or is continuing to employ surveillance programs that have not been revealed as part of Snowden’s leaks. US President Obama has admitted that the NSA programs – which 53 percent of Americans are against, according to a recent Gallup poll – have “never been subject to vigorous public debate.”One of the most contentious programs used by the NSA is the bulk collection of telephone metadata belonging to millions of Americans. The FISA court also referred to as FISC first authorized that program in 2006, and documents regarding its reauthorization were among those previously disclosed by the Justice Department.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- THE GREAT EUROPEAN EXPERIMENT FALLS APART
- NASCAR tells fans not to bring Confederate flags to races
- British artists against TTIP trade deal
- United States arms profits first, Bahraini human rights a poor second
- National/Guerrero: Nine months after the Ayotzinapa atrocity, relatives express that they will not be silenced
- "The co-chair of the Marion County GOP, T. Waldmann-Williams, did not object to the flags when she..." ow.ly/314TjR 1 hour ago
- "The co-chair of the Marion County GOP, T. Waldmann-Williams, did not object to the flags when she..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1p0D7nI 2 hours ago
- "The arresting police officer had no material evidence to support the charge. The account that Jane..." tmblr.co/Zu0CAw1p0CsTo 2 hours ago
- Obama disses Kurdish 'partners' against ISIS | World War 4 Report ow.ly/314Jfi 2 hours ago
- "Jesus People for Animals sent a letter Tuesday morning to the Very Rev. Gary Hall, The dean of the..." ow.ly/314ecu 5 hours ago