Responding to a Freedom of Information Act FOIA request from the ACLU, US attorney Preet Bharara from the southern district of New York told the ACLU on Friday that authorities would keep “certain other” records from the secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance FISA court classified.The ACLU was seeking to gain more insight into the government surveillance programs first revealed by whistleblower Edward Snowden, only to be told that some documents would be “withheld in full” under the Patriot Act.The government\’s letter to the ACLU has inspired many to speculate that the federal government has used and/or is continuing to employ surveillance programs that have not been revealed as part of Snowden’s leaks. US President Obama has admitted that the NSA programs – which 53 percent of Americans are against, according to a recent Gallup poll – have “never been subject to vigorous public debate.”One of the most contentious programs used by the NSA is the bulk collection of telephone metadata belonging to millions of Americans. The FISA court also referred to as FISC first authorized that program in 2006, and documents regarding its reauthorization were among those previously disclosed by the Justice Department.
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Dell apologizes for preinstalling bogus root-certificate on computers / Boing Boing
- Teen who ran away to join ISIS allegedly beaten to death when she tried to leave
- Newcastle Metro passenger who was racially abused thanks her ‘Geordie angels’
- PressTV-Russia plane downing ‘planned provocation’
- Athens on edge after explosion severely damages buildings | World news | The Guardian
- No More American Thanksgivings | Black Agenda Report - No More American Thanksgivings | Black Agenda Report: Th... ow.ly/38kUtO 30 minutes ago
- (via Putin warns of ‘serious consequences’ for... - (via Putin warns of ‘serious consequences’ for Turkey after... ow.ly/38kUhc 30 minutes ago
- 4WR seeks #Indigenous & #African activists to comment on this is.gd/nCh0bQ 4 radio programme -> Pls DM @TheAngryindian 37 minutes ago
- PressTV - Russian pilot killing war crime: Syria - PressTV - Russian pilot killing war crime: Syria: On Tuesday... ow.ly/38kMbm 1 hour ago
- "Since the terrorist attacks in Paris, hate crimes against Muslims have jumped a staggering 275..." ow.ly/38kLZ1 1 hour ago