We could refer to this as the “From Malum Prohibitum to Murder” model of police escalation. Citizens who aren’t killed in such encounters can expect to be punished for the impudence they display by surviving. Police officers responsible for the actual crimes of violence will not face prosecution, owing to the evil doctrine of “qualified immunity.” A recent episode in Florida resulted in several charges — including attempted murder — against a man whose only apparent “offense” was to refuse to submit to a beating by a police officer.The assault began when an officer named Ronald Cannella who had attempted to pull over a man named Livingston Manners for allegedly running a stop light dragged the driver from his vehicle and threw him to the ground in a gas station. It’s quite likely that Manners, in justifiable fear for his safety, sought a well-lit area for the encounter with the brigand.Security camera video shows that Manners was compliant and non-aggressive as the officer tried to “build the stop” by searching his vehicle. The officer eventually reached into the vehicle and pulled Manners from it, and the victim does nothing to resist, holding his hands face-up and to the sides. Cannella can be seen putting a forearm on the face and the throat of his victim, and then punching him repeatedly. Although no audio is available, it’s certain that this attack was punctuated with the rapist’s refrain, “Stop resisting!”Cannella eventually places the victim on his back and appears to be attempting to place a chokehold on him. Manners defends himself with a maneuver similar to the “guard” position from Jiu-Jitsu, trapping the uniformed assailant’s arms and holding him at bay for roughly 45 seconds until the aggressor’s comrades arrive.At no point in the struggle is Manners seen making an aggressive move, or touching the throat of the assailant. It is possible that the victim applied a lapel choke — but if he did so this came after Cannella had already repeatedly struck him and, apparently, attacked his own throat first.
Southern Poverty Law Center
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
- APNS/ANG RSS Feed
- ANG Tumblr Feed
- Inquiries : gmx.com + ‘apnsnews’
- Online Editor: gmx.pt + redaktoro
- Voicemail / gTalk + ‘aboriginalmediagroup’
- Skype + ‘AboriginalNewsGroup’
- VoIP + sip:firstname.lastname@example.org
- APNS Public Radio / IRB : RSS
- Leg ĉi tiu ĵurnalo En Esperanto
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- An Australian senator wore a burqa in Parliament — then called for a ban on Muslim immigrants ow.ly/j23150dvAnQ 10 hours ago
- The Challenge of the Lone Wolf Lone wolves present unique... ow.ly/9rNi50dvywC 11 hours ago
- 4. November 2011: Eine Neonazi-Terrorzelle fliegt auf | NSU-Prozess | Nachrichten | BR.de ow.ly/Ra6W30euNP9 12 hours ago
- Exclusive: Stonewall Jackson's Great-Great-Grandsons Call for Removal of Confederate Monuments ow.ly/JQUp50dvuyr 13 hours ago
- 4. November 2011: Eine Neonazi-Terrorzelle fliegt auf | NSU-Prozess | Nachrichten | BR.de ow.ly/b3is30euIg6… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 14 hours ago
- An Australian senator wore a burqa in Parliament — then called for a ban on Muslim immigrants
- The Challenge of the Lone Wolf
- Barcelona: 13 killed as van rams crowds in Las Ramblas – BBC News
- #JohnnyCash’s children condemn #Charlottesville #FarRight protester in Cash T-shirt
- Anna Merlan // Leader of the Hate Group Linked to Charlottesville Attacker Was a Recruiter for the U.S. Marines
- ‘What about the alt-left?’: Donald Trump defends far-right extremists, again blames both sides for Charlottesville violence | Toronto Star
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the
Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.