Last week, the Kansas State Senate passed a bill to revamp its juvenile justice system. The state has one of the highest rates of youth incarceration in the nation. Pushed by local juvenile justice reformers, the bill would close juvenile offender group homes, standardize the sentencing of juveniles, and provide $2 million for alternatives to detention such as therapeutic counseling.The move came after an executive order issued by President Obama on Jan. 25, which bans the use of solitary confinement for juveniles in federal prisons. That same day, the U.S. Supreme Court issued a ruling affecting mandatory life sentences for inmates convicted as juveniles. While both are limited in scope—there are only 26 juveniles in federal prison, for example—advocates are hopeful for the future.
Southern Poverty Law Center
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
- APNS/ANG RSS Feed
- ANG Tumblr Feed
- Inquiries : gmx.com + ‘apnsnews’
- Online Editor: gmx.pt + redaktoro
- Voicemail / gTalk + ‘aboriginalmediagroup’
- Skype + ‘AboriginalNewsGroup’
- VoIP + sip:firstname.lastname@example.org
- APNS Public Radio / IRB : RSS
- Leg ĉi tiu ĵurnalo En Esperanto
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Doctors Say a Third of Dementia Cases Could be Prevented - Doctors Say a Third of Dementia Cases Could be Preve... ow.ly/eM5050cW4wd 20 hours ago
- Opinion | I’m a scientist. I’m blowing the whistle on the Trump administration. ow.ly/onYT50cW13U 21 hours ago
- If you think the New York Post was a #Liberal newspaper, you are a fucking idiot: ow.ly/tmct30dMZgk is.gd/qN5a6X 22 hours ago
- Got something to say? #4thWorldRadyo is on Skype [aboriginalnewsgroup] taking Indigenous reports/opinions 24/7 (ask 4 contact request) 22 hours ago
- Nigger (the word), a brief history | African American Registry ow.ly/dKfE50cVgwS 1 day ago
- Ismahil Blagrove on Why the Days of the Mainstream Media Are Over This is awesome. I’ve
- David Cay Johnston: GOP Budget Redistributes Money to the Rich
- #Brazil / #Capitalism / #USA
- Tenth Circuit Affirms Dismissal of Challenge to San Ildefonso Pueblo Land Rights
- #USA / #UnitedKingdom / #Terrorism / #FalseFlag / #WorldWarTwo / #Propaganda
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the
Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.