These haunting images curated by British photographer Edmund Clark and counter-terrorism investigator Crofton Black confront the nature of contemporary warfare head on, and in doing so reveal the invisible mechanisms of state control.One picture shows The Salt Pit, the CIA’s first prison in Afghanistan, upon which the visiting Federal Bureau of Prisons commented they had ‘never been in a facility where individuals are so sensory deprived’. Gul Rahman, a young Afghan detainee, died of hypothermia there in November 2002. He was buried in an unmarked grave. And in Lithuania, a windowless warehouse surrounded by woodland was secretly built by the CIA to use as a prison facility. George W. Bush’s 2001 declaration of the ‘war on terror’ until 2008, an unknown number of people disappeared into a network of secret prisons, according to the exhibition’s research.These have been organized by the CIA-transfers without legal process and are known as extraordinary renditions. No public records were kept to trace the detainees as they were shuttled to different outposts around the world.
Southern Poverty Law Center
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Trump Promised to Resign From His Companies — But There’s No Record He’s Done So
- 4th World Radyo :: ‘False Promises, Broken Dreams and Ersatz Progressivism’ :: What Next for the International Afro-Left Under Trump’s White Nationalism?
- Trump’s Hotel Bans Press For Inauguration, Raising First Amendment Concerns
- Syria to UN: Israel launched missile attack, has conspired in civil war – Arab-Israeli Conflict – Jerusalem Post
- Resisting the Trump Administration: Tasks for the Left
- Is Donald Trump’s Insecurity a National Security Threat? - Is Donald Trump’s Insecurity a National Security Thr... ow.ly/RatP508Qgc4 35 minutes ago
- Legal Fund#DisruptJ20 ow.ly/WA5q308faJf 1 hour ago
- micdotcom:There were more than 34,000 reported cases of rape in... ow.ly/OtGQ508Qcve 1 hour ago
- Trump Promised to Resign From His Companies — But There’s No Record He’s Done So ow.ly/t6iJ508Q3pd 2 hours ago
- Indigenous suicide: Struggling communities get $10 million funding boost - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Co... ow.ly/f8Bn508Q3iY 2 hours ago
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.