As Nancy Youssef of the Daily Beast reports, the Pentagon may still be putting on a brave face, but the Obama administration is increasingly shifting its attention away from the NSF and toward supporting an existing force: the 50,000-strong Popular Protection Units, better known by their Kurdish initials YPG. The Syrian Kurdish militia has been “the most effective fighting force in Syria,” according to one U.S. official, wrestling almost a dozen towns out of ISIS’s hands, including the hard-fought victory at Kobani last year. That victory was made possible by U.S. air support, and the partnership has only deepened since then. The Wall Street Journal recently reported that the U.S. military and the YPG are coordinating “air and ground operations through a joint command center in northern Iraq. And in two new centers in Syria’s Kobani and Jazeera regions, YPG commanders are in direct contact with U.S. commanders.”It makes sense that the U.S. would want to support an established, effective, non-Islamist fighting force on the ground in Syria, but the YPG partnership is still an odd one. For one thing, the U.S. government sort of considers them terrorists. The YPG is the Syrian affiliate of the PKK, the Marxist-nationalist guerilla group that has been fighting the Turkish government for decades and has been on the U.S. State Department’s Foreign Terrorist Organizations list since 1997 for its attacks in Turkey and on Turkish interests abroad, including kidnappings and suicide bombings. (The YPG claims to operate independently, but at the very least it shares the PKK’s ideology and reveres its imprisoned founder Abdullah Ocalan.)
Southern Poverty Law Center
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
- APNS/ANG RSS Feed
- ANG Tumblr Feed
- Inquiries : gmx.com + ‘apnsnews’
- Online Editor: gmx.pt + redaktoro
- Voicemail / gTalk + ‘aboriginalmediagroup’
- Skype + ‘AboriginalNewsGroup’
- VoIP + sip:firstname.lastname@example.org
- APNS Public Radio / IRB : RSS
- Leg ĉi tiu ĵurnalo En Esperanto
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Accused in racist SkyTrain attack now charged with sexual assault - Accused in racist SkyTrain attack now charged w… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 10 hours ago
- UN General Assembly Votes for Palestinians // J. B. Gerald - nightslantern.ca/ga7dec2017.htm UN General Assembly Votes for… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 10 hours ago
- Reaction: World Bank Steals Show at One Planet Summit by Phasing Out Upstream Oil and Gas Finance - Alex Doukas, De… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 10 hours ago
- #UN General Assembly Votes for #Palestinians // J. B. Gerald | APNS Novaĵagentejo ow.ly/M53I30hbV3r 11 hours ago
- Ontario enshrines Trans Day of Remembrance in law as November 20 - Ontario enshrines Trans Day of Remembrance in la… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
- The Far-Right are seeking global domination. But there’s one man they’re terrified of
- #Zimbabwe / #Africa / #Economics / #Indigenisation
- US Ignores Russia Warnings, Holds Provocative War Drills on Korean Peninsula
- Women who accused Trump of sexual misconduct: ‘Let’s try round two’
- ANF | Iraqi forces killed 10 ISIS members hiding in a tunnel in Rashad town near Kirkuk.
- 4thWorldRadyo // White Liberals to the Left – Black Conservatives to My Right and neo-Nazis in My Face – Stuck in the Middle w/ Colonial Hyper-Normalisation
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the
Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.