A new PBS documentary exposes the tasing and beating death of a Mexican immigrant by U.S. border agents in California and has renewed scrutiny of what critics call a culture of impunity. In May 2010, 42-year-old Anastasio Hernández Rojas was caught trying to enter the United States from Mexico near San Diego. He had previously lived in the United States for 25 years and was the father of five U.S.-born children. But instead of deportation, Hernández Rojas’s detention ended in his death. A number of border officers were seen beating him, before one tasered him at least five times. He died shortly afterward. The agents say they confronted Hernández Rojas because he became hostile and resisted arrest. But previously undisclosed videos recorded by eyewitnesses on their cellphones show a different story. “All eyewitnesses that we spoke to basically tell the same story of a man hogtied and handcuffed behind his back, not resisting, being beaten repeatedly by batons, by kicks, by punches, by the use of a taser, for almost 30 minutes until he died,” says reporter John Carlos Frey, whose exposé aired in a national television special last Friday night as part of a joint investigation by the PBS broadcast, “Need to Know,” and the Investigative Fund of the Nation Institute. We also speak with Hernández Rojas’s widow, María Puga. “My husband was tortured. He was severely beaten. And they’ve destroyed an entire family,” says Puga, speaking through a Spanish-English translator. “All we want is justice. And we need your help to get that justice.” [includes rush transcript]
Southern Poverty Law Center
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
- APNS/ANG RSS Feed
- ANG Tumblr Feed
- Inquiries : gmx.com + ‘apnsnews’
- Online Editor: gmx.pt + redaktoro
- Voicemail / gTalk + ‘aboriginalmediagroup’
- Skype + ‘AboriginalNewsGroup’
- VoIP + sip:email@example.com
- APNS Public Radio / IRB : RSS
- Leg ĉi tiu ĵurnalo En Esperanto
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- 4thWorldRadyo // Speculative Injustice: Why Are Mainstream Leftists in the US Handing the International Far-Right t… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS-ANG) ow.ly/WC3G30hQj1r 1 day ago
- Modern AfroIndio Times | 4thWorld Issues; #Antifa.schismus Politik & Conscious Afro-Indigenismo ow.ly/ejTN30hQgq2 1 day ago
- 4thWorldRadyo // Dialectical Disorder: An Indigenist Critique of Activism; Radicalism and Rational Self-Defence in… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- APNS Novaĵagentejo - The Original non-Partisan #Indigenist Newswire ow.ly/64AE30hQeiM 1 day ago
- ‘Equatorial Guinea’s attempted coup began in France,’ President Obiang tells FRANCE 24 – France 24
- Sanjay Gupta: By all standards, Trump has heart disease
- Netanyahu: India working to reapprove scrapped $500m missile deal with major Israeli defense contractor
- Turkey to take ‘any steps necessary immediately’ to ‘defeat threats’
- AFN fears ‘unjust labelling’ of First Nations activists as ‘terrorists’ under proposed anti-terror bill: document – APTN News
- Interview With Kevin Gosztola: How Trump Will Prosecute Reality Winner
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the
Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.