When Facebook acquired WhatsApp in March 2014, there were concerns that the company’s thirst to know everything about everyone would trickle down into the app and jeopardise the privacy of its users. In response, WhatsApp co-founder Jan Koum said in a blog post that the partnership wouldn’t compromise the app’s security-focused ethos.”Respect for your privacy is coded into our DNA, and we built WhatsApp around the goal of knowing as little about you as possible,” he wrote at the time. “If partnering with Facebook meant that we had to change our values, we wouldn’t have done it. Instead, we are forming a partnership that would allow us to continue operating independently and autonomously. Our fundamental values and beliefs will not change.”Two years on and it appears that WhatsApp is slackening its stance on the matter. The changes come as the app tries to bring businesses into the fold and let them connect with its global, multi-million user install base. As part of this, WhatsApp plans to explore different ways marketers – including the collection of businesses owned by Facebook –can communicate with users via the app.
Southern Poverty Law Center
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Russia ‘perhaps’ supplying Taliban: NATO commander
- Russian bank sends threatening letter to computer scientist who called for Trump investigation – CNNPolitics.com
- 4th World Radyo: The Ides of March: EasyD and the Unbearable Mishegoss of Compromised American Politics – @TheAngryindian in Conversation with @BobKincaid of Head On Radio
- Yazidis who suffered genocide are fleeing again, but this time not from the Islamic State – The Washington Post
- Met police accused of using hackers to access protesters’ emails
- Comments? 4thWorldRadyo is in the studio ow.ly/muIQW [ Pls DM @TheAngryindian for Skype/SIP request] twitter.com/ATLBlackStar/s… 49 minutes ago
- Breitbart Is Tagging Articles With A Bigoted "Alt-Right" Meme That Attacks Swedish Multiculturalism ow.ly/TsK850anRY6 1 hour ago
- Breitbart Is Tagging Articles With A Bigoted "Alt-Right" Meme That Attacks Swedish Multiculturalism ow.ly/xjVP50anRY7 1 hour ago
- Esther Webber on Twitter - Esther Webber on Twitter ow.ly/myQL50anKNu 2 hours ago
- ‘I was abducted and threatened with rape by police’ - Gazete Şûjin ow.ly/gnQ150amwcI 22 hours ago
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.