The Sacred Stone Camp, the main traditional protest site created by the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe in April, is on land that used to belong to the tribe but was “in effect stolen” through eminent domain by the Army Corps of Engineers for flood control, said Martinez. The Army Corps of Engineers began building the Oahe Dam in 1948, flooding over 160,000 acres to create the Oahe Lake, where protests are clustered. A quarter of tribe members had to relocate. Martinez said that a tribe member once told him that, “What flood control really means is that the whites control the water and the Indians get flooded.”Another camp, the Red Warrior Camp, is on private land in order to be closer to the construction sites, where nonviolent direct actions is organized. Work on private land was not affected by Friday’s joint announcement to halt building on federal land.
Southern Poverty Law Center
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
- APNS/ANG RSS Feed
- ANG Tumblr Feed
- Inquiries : gmx.com + ‘apnsnews’
- Online Editor: gmx.pt + redaktoro
- Voicemail / gTalk + ‘aboriginalmediagroup’
- Skype + ‘AboriginalNewsGroup’
- VoIP + sip:email@example.com
- APNS Public Radio / IRB : RSS
- Leg ĉi tiu ĵurnalo En Esperanto
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Accomplices Not Allies: Abolishing the Ally Industrial Complex – Indigenous Action Media ow.ly/XRW150fgD2p 9 hours ago
- Egypt police arrest singer Shyma over racy video - Egypt police arrest singer Shyma over racy video ow.ly/mtYw50fgCZU 9 hours ago
- Carta de las mujeres del #CIG #CNI al Movimiento de Mujeres de #Kurdistan Komalên Jinên Kurdistan (KJK) – Centr... ow.ly/quzy50fgBKO 10 hours ago
- Minister lobbied Brazilian government on behalf of BP and Shell - Unearthed ow.ly/tTYx50fgBKM 10 hours ago
- Ramzy Baroud // Israeli hands in the American ‘fear industry’ - Al Arabiya English ow.ly/WY4t50fgBKN 10 hours ago
- aljazeera.com // No resignation as Robert Mugabe addresses nation
- aina.org // ISIS Militants Defeated in Last Major Stronghold in Syria
- HCSO Deputies Who Ordered Cavity Search at Gas Station Indicted [UPDATED]
- Which glaciers will flood your home? New NASA tool can tell
- US Strategic Command would resist ‘illegal’ orders
- Kushner didn’t disclose outreach from Russian ‘godfather’ to campaign
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the
Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.