The Sacred Stone Camp, the main traditional protest site created by the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe in April, is on land that used to belong to the tribe but was “in effect stolen” through eminent domain by the Army Corps of Engineers for flood control, said Martinez. The Army Corps of Engineers began building the Oahe Dam in 1948, flooding over 160,000 acres to create the Oahe Lake, where protests are clustered. A quarter of tribe members had to relocate. Martinez said that a tribe member once told him that, “What flood control really means is that the whites control the water and the Indians get flooded.”Another camp, the Red Warrior Camp, is on private land in order to be closer to the construction sites, where nonviolent direct actions is organized. Work on private land was not affected by Friday’s joint announcement to halt building on federal land.
Southern Poverty Law Center
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- 4th World Radyo: The Ides of March: EasyD and the Unbearable Mishegoss of Compromised American Politics – @TheAngryindian in Conversation with @BobKincaid of Head On Radio
- Yazidis who suffered genocide are fleeing again, but this time not from the Islamic State – The Washington Post
- Met police accused of using hackers to access protesters’ emails
- North Korea’s Latest Missile Test Failed ‘Within Seconds’ / Robbie Gramer
- Former Trump aide Manafort hires crisis communications firm By Megan R. Wilson
- ‘I was abducted and threatened with rape by police’ - Gazete Şûjin ow.ly/gnQ150amwcI 18 minutes ago
- The Modern [AfroIndio] Times | 4th World Issues; Antifaschismus Politic & Conscious Afro-Indigenismo ow.ly/YaER30aaghN 1 hour ago
- ‘I was abducted and threatened with rape by police’ - Gazete Ş�jin ow.ly/HOXL50amspK 1 hour ago
- 4th World Radyo: The Ides of March: EasyD and the Unbearable Mishegoss of Compromised American Politics - @TheA... ow.ly/PkZD50amrMn 1 hour ago
- Denis Cuspert, aka Deso Dogg, is a German who joined the Islamic... ow.ly/L2yF50amosF 2 hours ago
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.