A quarter of all video clips captured by Oakland police body-worn cameras during stops and investigations were accidentally deleted nearly two years ago when city employees installed a software upgrade, the former head of the camera unit said Tuesday. Alameda County prosecutors said she was shot in the head after the defendants, believing she was following and recording them, became angry and tried to take her phone. Though body-worn camera footage is a minor issue in the case, Burke’s testimony provided a glimpse into Oakland’s handling of a nascent technology that has been adopted around the country as a tool of police accountability. The videos were deleted in October 2014 when city information technology workers tried upgrading the Police Department’s computer system that stores dozens of terabytes of the body-worn camera footage. Instead of hitting “preserve everything,” the IT employees mistakenly checked a box marked “preserve,” Deputy District Attorney Butch Ford, who is prosecuting the murder case, explained Tuesday outside court. The videos can be used in criminal and civil court cases and can implicate or exonerate an officer accused of wrongdoing. Bay Area civil rights attorney John Burris, whose work focuses on police misconduct, said the missing footage could pose a problem in some cases. Burke was asked to explain the deletions in court because Annie Beles, the attorney for defendant Mario Floyd, has said that footage taken from officers who arrived at the scene of Salamon’s killing would contradict witness statements. Beles said the footage would likely show that no trash bins were knocked over in the street, which is notable because Ford, the prosecutor, has argued that Floyd threw a trash bin at Salamon as he demanded her phone minutes before co-defendant Stephon Lee allegedly fired three shots, killing her. Darryl Stallworth, Lee’s defense attorney, argued that no physical evidence was found tying Lee to the shooting.
Southern Poverty Law Center
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
- APNS/ANG RSS Feed
- ANG Tumblr Feed
- Inquiries : gmx.com + ‘apnsnews’
- Online Editor: gmx.pt + redaktoro
- Voicemail / gTalk + ‘aboriginalmediagroup’
- Skype + ‘AboriginalNewsGroup’
- VoIP + sip:email@example.com
- APNS Public Radio / IRB : RSS
- Leg ĉi tiu ĵurnalo En Esperanto
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- ‘Bye Becky!’ Protests Erupt Over Gentrifyng Brooklyn Bar That Promoted Itself With Fake Bullet Holes Behind $12... ow.ly/u83v50cZJQE 1 hour ago
- #DisruptJ20 Protester Receives Prison Sentence for Felony Rioting - DCMediaGroup ow.ly/fqmZ50cZGKM 2 hours ago
- #DisruptJ20 Protester Receives Prison Sentence for Felony Rioting - DCMediaGroup ow.ly/6v8r50cZGH7 2 hours ago
- At least 15 Kurdish YPG fighters killed by ISIS fire in Raqqa: official - ARA News ow.ly/WIf850cZFgi 3 hours ago
- Indiĝenaj Inteligenteco | A Fourth World Intelligence Newsblog ow.ly/xylN30dQXdQ 4 hours ago
- #DisruptJ20 Protester Receives Prison Sentence for Felony Rioting – DCMediaGroup
- #Turkey / #Activism / #Dissent / #HumanRights / #Istanbul/ #Ankara
- #UK / #Britain / #Arms / #Turkey
- He Spent Almost 20 Years Funding The Racist Right. It Finally Paid Off.
- Eton student who owned toddler-rape videos allowed to use false name to protect wealthy family | EvolvePolitics.com
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the
Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.