As we’re accustomed to U.N. officials doing in other countries, Maina Kiai visited the United States’ most restive places, seeking insight on the conditions that prevent peace. From the grief-stricken cities of Baton Rouge and Ferguson, Mo., roiled by the killings of unarmed black men by police officers, to the contentious political battlegrounds of convention-week Cleveland and Philadelphia, Kiai witnessed a country riven by inequality and ideological polarization.Kiai is a widely respected Kenyan human rights lawyer and is serving his second term as the U.N. special rapporteur on the rights to freedom of peaceful assembly and of association. His trip to the United States was spurred by growing concerns that despite a Constitution that guarantees broad inalienable rights, the world’s supposed beacon of freedom is often not living up to international standards of equality under law.
Southern Poverty Law Center
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- More #Russia
- An Alabama Prison’z Unrelenting Descent Into Violence | Moorbey’z Blog
- No need for ISPs to tell you what info they’re slurping up
- Chiapas: Conflict between Parties Unleashes Violence in Chenalho
- News in brief: Alabama considers porn filters; Samsung launches new Galaxy; celeb’s Instagram hacked – Naked Security
- The long, twisted, and bizarre history of the Trump-Russia scandal ow.ly/qVT150aw07r 14 hours ago
- #Mumia 15 hours ago
- If U like #ProgressiveTalkRadio Please support @bobkincaid & the @TheHORN #Radio programme ow.ly/nilB5 : ow.ly/nilHG 15 hours ago
- 4thWorldRadyo: The Ides of March: EasyD & the Unbearable Mishegoss of Compromised American Politics w/ @BobKincaid… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 15 hours ago
- An Alabama Prison’z Unrelenting Descent Into Violence - moorbey: An Alabama Prison’z Unrelenting Descent Into V... ow.ly/4m8J50avXWp 15 hours ago
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.