This training exercise, like everything else at Urban Shield, seems to exist in a world where the Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement never happened. The event has remained impervious to the national debate over lethal force in policing, and still promotes the militarized tactics for which it is often criticized. The 2016 training immersed officers in 48 hours of mass-casualty scenarios requiring use of force, and offered no discussion of de-escalation, mental health, or unconscious bias.When I asked officers at Urban Shield 2016 whether anything had changed in response to BLM, I was met with puzzlement, denial, or annoyance.“I don’t see how Black Lives Matter is relevant,” said Sgt. Ray Kelly, an Urban Shield spokesperson from the Alameda County Sheriff’s Office who rejected the idea that racial bias might ever factor into emergency responses. “We’re going to treat an active shooter the same regardless of their background.”“I don’t see how Black Lives Matter is relevant.”But Kelly may be wrong about that. Several studies have found evidence of racial bias when police use force in community policing contexts. Racial bias could play a role in an active shooter crisis, just as it does in other police interactions.
Southern Poverty Law Center
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
- APNS/ANG RSS Feed
- ANG Tumblr Feed
- Inquiries : gmx.com + ‘apnsnews’
- Online Editor: gmx.pt + redaktoro
- Voicemail / gTalk + ‘aboriginalmediagroup’
- Skype + ‘AboriginalNewsGroup’
- VoIP + sip:firstname.lastname@example.org
- APNS Public Radio / IRB : RSS
- Leg ĉi tiu ĵurnalo En Esperanto
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- A Just Cause - Fighting Domestic Violence in America - A Just Cause - Fighting Domestic Violence in America ow.ly/6toY50eF9kz 27 minutes ago
- British film-maker killed by Isis militants in Syria | World news | The Guardian ow.ly/mx4650eF8XO 27 minutes ago
- PRESS RELEASE - Indigenous Women’s Delegation Pursues Fossil Fuel Divestment Across Europe, Amidst Growing Glob... ow.ly/dKap50eF8XP 27 minutes ago
- Human Rights Solidarity accuses UAE of war crimes in Libya - Libyan Express ow.ly/fJzE50eF8XN 27 minutes ago
- Support demands of #PrisonersUnited on hunger strike in Alameda and Santa Clara Counties | @Moorbey'z Blog ow.ly/6Upi30fWHKY 1 hour ago
- US-backed fighters ‘seize 80% of Raqqa from Islamic State’
- #USA / #Privacy / #Journalism / #eMail
- Fall of ISIS capital: The caliphate is gone, but the franchise will live on
- South Korea ‘develops graphite bomb’ against North
- About 14.6 pct of U.S. Gulf oil output shut ahead of Storm Nate-BSEE
- #Denmark / #Sweden/ #Copenhagen / #Journalist
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the
Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.