Your user data is secretly sent to China through a backdoor on some U.S. Android phones / Boing Boing – International customers and users of disposable or prepaid phones are the people most affected by the software. But the scope is unclear. The Chinese company that wrote the software, Shanghai Adups Technology Company, says its code runs on more than 700 million phones, cars and other smart devices. One American phone manufacturer, BLU Products, said that 120,000 of its phones had been affected and that it had updated the software to eliminate the feature. Kryptowire, the security firm that discovered the vulnerability, said the Adups software transmitted the full contents of text messages, contact lists, call logs, location information and other data to a Chinese server. The code comes preinstalled on phones and the surveillance is not disclosed to users, said Tom Karygiannis, a vice president of Kryptowire, which is based in Fairfax, Va. “Even if you wanted to, you wouldn’t have known about it,” he said. Security experts frequently discover vulnerabilities in consumer electronics, but this case is exceptional. It was not a bug. Rather, Adups intentionally designed the software to help a Chinese phone manufacturer monitor user behavior, according to a document that Adups provided to explain the problem to BLU executives. That version of the software was not intended for American phones, the company said.
Southern Poverty Law Center
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
- APNS/ANG RSS Feed
- ANG Tumblr Feed
- Inquiries : gmx.com + ‘apnsnews’
- Online Editor: gmx.pt + redaktoro
- Voicemail / gTalk + ‘aboriginalmediagroup’
- Skype + ‘AboriginalNewsGroup’
- VoIP + sip:email@example.com
- APNS Public Radio / IRB : RSS
- Leg ĉi tiu ĵurnalo En Esperanto
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Deputy Fired After Investigation Into Chokehold Death Outside Texas Denny’s ow.ly/BL7h50cYXO3 5 hours ago
- 2000 youths join Self-Defense Forces in Hesekê - 2000 youths join Self-Defense Forces in Hesekê ow.ly/Ep0h50cYS26 9 hours ago
- APNS Public Radyo | Indigenist Talk Media for Intelligent Aboriginals ow.ly/FIur30dQ1Y3 11 hours ago
- Warriors, dreamers and just plain crazy: U.S. civilian volunteers fighting Islamic State in Syria ow.ly/W91C50cXX27 1 day ago
- John McCain cancer is ‘godly justice,’ alt-right claims - John McCain cancer is ‘godly justice,’ alt-right clai... ow.ly/v7IP50cXVaS 1 day ago
- Get ready! The 3rd Annual July 25th International Day of Solidarity With Antifascist Prisoners Is Upon Us!
- BLOGROLL: Roberts on Preservation and Social Justice| National Trust for Historic Preservation
- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit investigating death of First Nations man in Thunder Bay police jail
- Iraq War PR Alums Built ‘Guns, Knives’ Talking Points To Discredit NODAPL
- #USA / #Military / #Imperialism
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the
Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.