The Brazilian Senate has approved a controversial amendment to the constitution capping public spending for the next 20 years.The approval of the austerity measure is an important victory for President Michel Temer.He took office earlier this year promising to lead the country out of its worst recession in many decades.Protests against the measure turned violent in the capital Brasilia and at least a dozen states in the country.The opposition says the measures will mainly hit areas such as health and education, which are already underfunded.Thousands of demonstrators took to the streets during the Senate session to protest against the austerity plan.After the vote, many demonstrations descended into violence.In Brasilia, masked protesters set fire to a bus and marched on the local offices of Globo TV, which they say is biased towards Mr Temer’s government. But the marchers were blocked by riot police.In Sao Paulo, the headquarters of the state’s conservative Industrial Federation (Fiesp) was attacked.
Southern Poverty Law Center
The Aboriginal Press News Service (APNS) is the international, non-partisan, not-for-profit, grassroots newswire of the Aboriginal News Group (ANG).
The Aboriginal News Group (ANG) seeks to support, educate and unify Indigenous bloggers & Indigenist Activists covering news information important to Original Peoples, First Nations communities and other ethnic-minorities subjected to discrimination, marginalisation, neoliberal exploitation racialism and genocide.
- Canadian press defenceless, as House fails to pass shield bill – IFEX
- Trump lawyer’s firm steered millions in donations to family members, files show | US news | The Guardian
- Hackers cause disruption in several European countries | News | Al Jazeera
- #Russia / #Obama / #Putin / #TrumpRussia
- #DomesticTerrorism / #USA / #FarRight / #Americas
- Avances y desafíos para los Pueblos Indígenas a 4 años de la Reforma de Telecomunicaciones ow.ly/yxJM50crCCa 11 minutes ago
- #JusticeForNabra: Muslim Youth Brutally Murdered During Ramadan 31 minutes ago
- 3 Members Of Hindu Yuva Vahini Arrested On Charges Of Rape, Assault ow.ly/shE650cryos 1 hour ago
- micdotcom: Trump urges people to get tested for HIV as GOP gears... ow.ly/PuGz50crvMz 2 hours ago
- 20 years of MSF in #Kibera | Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) International ow.ly/Olrs50crv8o 2 hours ago
Inteligenta Indigena Novajoservo™ (IIN) is produced by the Aboriginal Press News Service™ (APNS), and is an Internet publication of the Aboriginal News Group™ (ANG). All editorial text, posted news items and related post images employed within this newswire are published under a CC: Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 license unless otherwise stated. Meaning, any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism or the much needed elucidation of the Fourth World masses without monetary gain is duly permitted and encouraged provided credit is given where credit is due to all parties concerned. It is believed that this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. Accordingly, said material is distributed here without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving such information for research and/or educational purposes. This autonomous publication assumes no liability for the content and/or hyperlinked materials of any other website. Nor do we accept paid advertising, swag, or monetary donations. APNS-ANG and its affiliate orgs do not advocate, encourage or condone any type/form of illegal behaviour. All news material posted is provided for informational purposes only.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.